The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-08-2011, 05:44 PM   #1
litew8

Project "My Happy Mess"

New member and think this forum is awesome! 10 years ago I bought my 71' (C10/20, LWB, 350sb) Custom Deluxe with the intentions of someday restoring her to original condition. It was a farm truck used to haul horse manur, etc. Well, that day has come and the project (partial restoration) is well underway!

Though there's something the matter and I'm not able (or smart enough? lol) to figure it out. I think my truck was converted (and/or previously restored) from a C20 to a C10. Looking at the SPID and the driver's door, they both reference a C20 in the VIN #. But, the emblems on the fenders say C10 Custom Deluxe and not C20 Custom Deluxe. It's got a 12 bolt rear end and 5 on 5 (front and back). I have registrations dating back to 71', and even though the VIN # is the same, some registrations note C10 as model type. Maybe it was converted? I've tried contacting one of the previous owners, but wasn't successful.

I've got it stripped down - bed, hood and fenders off. Reading the forums here, I noticed that the frame should be stamped with the VIN also. But since I'm doing a "frame-on" (partial) restoration, I can't see the VIN # on the frame since the cab is still on (with no intention of taking it off either). The cab will need some work, after the blasting and undercoating (getting done next week! ) - a couple cab mounts, floor extensions, rockers, corners.

Is there any way for me to identify? Or is it really considered a C10 now that it has 5 on 5 with the matching rear-end. My concern is the front suspension and parts. I've read that 3/4 ton has slightly different parts than the 1/2.

Any insight or suggestions going forward, are my concerns valid? Pictures up soon!

litew8

Last edited by litew8; 07-08-2011 at 05:50 PM.
litew8 is offline   Reply With Quote