The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-28-2009, 12:32 PM   #1
BradE
yard boy

Wheel hop on my '94 Yukon 2Dr

Ok, I put some 20" USA Forged wheels on my '94 4x4 Yukon and needed to lift it approx. 2.5" to get clearance. Purchased a suspension lift with new torsion keys and blocks for the back leafs. Installed to specs, but now the front end is all over the place and bounces bad when I hit any little bump. I even installed new Rancho shocks for this truck in the front end, but not the back. The back already had brand new bilsteins installed 5,000 miles ago. I'm worried I'm going to ruin the front end if I keep driving it, so I'm looking for anyone with experience in this and the best way to fix it quick. Thanks for any and all replies!
Old 12-30-2009, 10:00 PM   #2
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Re: Wheel hop on my '94 Yukon 2Dr

I moved your post to 4x4. I think it will get a quicker response here.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 09:37 PM   #3
Mudder

My daughters Tahoe had the big wheels and little skinny tires when she got it. It didn't have any lift. The thing was so bad that I bought her the factory wheels for it and got her new tires. Her problems was either the 20's or the tires. Not sure which.
Mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 09:33 AM   #4
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

If the truck is just "jacked up" with torsion keys only, that is at least part of your problem. That does nothing for the "droop" of the wheels. This is downward travel for a tire to drop into a pothole for example. If the tire can't droop independantly of the rest of the truck....the hole truck has to move. This is then exaggerated by the fact that the srings are tightened more than they were designed to be, so the whole thing is stiffer. It may have alignment issues to, so "bump steer" comes into play. Lifting independant suspensions requires more than simple torsion bar jacking.

The "bouncing" is you in the seat....not the truck. Stiff does not bounce, it bounces passengers. That is why truck seats offer much more movement than a typecal car seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 11:18 AM   #5
special-K
Special Order

Try traction struts.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote