The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-14-2006, 10:32 AM   #1
redhot67

Lowering front with new springs problem

Here’s the problem: I planned to drop my truck 2” in the front and 4” in the rear using new springs (I’ve got drum brakes). I ordered the springs from CPP. The 4” drop in the rear was just what I wanted, but the front was another story.

Before I installed them, I laid the 2” drop front springs next to the old springs and they were about 1˝” shorter, which seemed about right. But after I put them on, I got no change in height.

Since then, I’ve had the springs back off 3 times to see if there was something wrong with the way I installed them but haven’t found anything. Has anybody had a problem like this? Three pictures are attached - before, rear only lowered, and both front and rear.

Thanks!
Attached Images

redhot67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 10:42 AM   #2
ratrod67

Re: Lowering front with new springs problem

Were the front springs the originals? If so, I bet they were weak and sagged.
ratrod67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 11:01 AM   #3
novajess1972

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratrod67 View Post
Yes, this is more than likely the problem. The front sees so much more action and weight transfer, due to braking and motor than the rear, unless you or the previous owners did lots of hauling. Old, decompressed weak springs may look the same as newer ones when out of the truck and laid side by side, but the older, weaker ones will no longer stand up to weight as the new ones will installed.

Also, you have to consider that 67-72 1/2 ton C10s typically came from the factory with a 2inch difference in height between the front and rear. Now that you have new springs all around, the truck should be sitting even...as it looks like in the pics.

Hope this helps...
J
1971 Chevy Nova (sold)
1967 Chevy El Camino (sold)
2001 Mustang Bullitt (sold)
2019 Toyota Tundra Crewmax (daily)
novajess1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 11:36 AM   #4
70c10
67-72 Addict!

redhot67- Nice truck!. I agree with the others about the old sagging springs. These new springs will probably settle down a little with time.

1970 C/10 Fleetside w/Ghost Flames
Lowered 4.5" front and 4" rear (Raked)
355/350 Turbo w/shift kit
10" Redneck Performance Verter w/2500 stall
Hooker Super Comps part#2808-1
Performer RPM Air-Gap
12 Bolt w/3:73 gears- Eaton Posi
Comp Cams XE262 with 1.6 Crane Energizers, Road Demon 625 and Brodix IK 180 heads
70c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 11:46 AM   #5
redhot67

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratrod67 View Post
I can't say for sure, but they may be. However, from looking at the truck, they seem to sit pretty high (both before and after). I'm thinking I'll drive it for a while, and if they don't drop any, try cutting a coil off the old springs. I'm not looking for a big drop, just enough to have a slight rake.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:54 AM   #6
novajess1972

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhot67 View Post
I can't say for sure, but they may be. However, from looking at the truck, they seem to sit pretty high (both before and after). I'm thinking I'll drive it for a while, and if they don't drop any, try cutting a coil off the old springs. I'm not looking for a big drop, just enough to have a slight rake.

Also, when installing, be sure that that end of the bottom coil is situated toward the outermost side of the truck...away from the motor. Then drive it a while and go over some bumps to get it to settle in properly. I had to do that with my truck, my 71 Nova, and my 67 El Camino.
1971 Chevy Nova (sold)
1967 Chevy El Camino (sold)
2001 Mustang Bullitt (sold)
2019 Toyota Tundra Crewmax (daily)
novajess1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 12:03 PM   #7
Shock_Me

I think you should get a fairly "even" stance with a 2/4 drop. Your's however is obviously not even.
Is it possible that CPP sent you a set of "big-block" front springs? Those would be a bit stiffer than small block springs to handle the extra weight.
Just a thought.

Pete
Shock_Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 12:13 PM   #8
70c10
67-72 Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhot67 View Post
I'm thinking I'll drive it for a while, and if they don't drop any, try cutting a coil off the old springs. I'm not looking for a big drop, just enough to have a slight rake.
See my post here about cutting front coils:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=215925

My truck has three quarters of an inch rake.

1970 C/10 Fleetside w/Ghost Flames
Lowered 4.5" front and 4" rear (Raked)
355/350 Turbo w/shift kit
10" Redneck Performance Verter w/2500 stall
Hooker Super Comps part#2808-1
Performer RPM Air-Gap
12 Bolt w/3:73 gears- Eaton Posi
Comp Cams XE262 with 1.6 Crane Energizers, Road Demon 625 and Brodix IK 180 heads
70c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 12:23 PM   #9
redhot67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shock_Me View Post
I think you should get a fairly "even" stance with a 2/4 drop. Your's however is obviously not even.
Is it possible that CPP sent you a set of "big-block" front springs? Those would be a bit stiffer than small block springs to handle the extra weight.
Just a thought.

Pete
I thought the springs might be wrong, but CPP has been no help at all. Their position is that, once the springs are on the truck, they're mine. They'll be glad to sell a set of 3" drop springs, but no credit for the ones I have, etc. Think I'll find another source next time.
Old 11-14-2006, 12:30 PM   #10
Shock_Me

Redhot67, that's some kind of customer service..maybe cutting the springs would be your best option after all.
I checked Early Classic's web site, and they do sell two different springs for small and big block trucks.
Nice truck by the way..anymore pics?

Pete
Shock_Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 12:43 PM   #11
Robznob11

i was told that all lowering springs had to be broke in that over time they settel down to there advertized hight. I did not buy my front springs though they are 3in drop springs off of a 2002 ford f150 they dropped my truck about 2inches and then setteled down another inch with the bb who would hav thought....
,,,,,,,/__(⊙)___//___/__(O)_/

@disciple2.rc 💪instagram💪
LED TAILS

Last edited by Robznob11; 11-14-2006 at 12:44 PM.
Robznob11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 12:53 PM   #12
uncle

Just from experience, use Early Classic next time.
uncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 12:58 PM   #13
redhot67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robznob11 View Post
i was told that all lowering springs had to be broke in that over time they settel down to there advertized hight. I did not buy my front springs though they are 3in drop springs off of a 2002 ford f150 they dropped my truck about 2inches and then setteled down another inch with the bb who would hav thought....
I wouldn't have thought it either, but I'm going to drive it a while and see what happens before I do anything else.

Pete -More photos when I get them off the camera - maybe tomorrow.

uncle - Thanks for the tip. Wish I had gone there in the first place. Live and learn.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:02 PM   #14
PICKMUP
"Trucks with Class"

...and of course NO company is going to take springs back after they have been installed or scuffed up. They can't sell them again when used.
We do the front first and then make the rear match it. We cover the rear springs with towels to protect them for the mock up fit, so they don't get any marks on them...and don't roll them around on the concrete floor! When they are spotless and in the clean original boxes, we can take them back and make changes/adjustments.
Were your original springs light duty or six cylinder?
PICKMUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 05:39 PM   #15
redhot67

Quote:
Originally Posted by PICKMUP View Post
...and of course NO company is going to take springs back after they have been installed or scuffed up. They can't sell them again when used.
We do the front first and then make the rear match it. We cover the rear springs with towels to protect them for the mock up fit, so they don't get any marks on them...and don't roll them around on the concrete floor! When they are spotless and in the clean original boxes, we can take them back and make changes/adjustments.
Were your original springs light duty or six cylinder?
Don't know for sure - how do you tell? It was originally a small-block V8 w/standard shift.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:32 PM   #16
68Stepbed

I bought a set of 1" springs from CPP a few years ago. Instead of lowering it an inch, i think it raised it an inch. They do have thicker coils so they will have a more accurate drop with a BB. I wasn't very satisfied with CPP's quality and customer service either. I wanted to buy from ECE at the time, but they're catalogs were backordered and I neede springs soon, and didn't have internet access either.

I kept the 1" springs I had and used ECE drop spindles and 4" rear drop springs for my truck now that I'm rebuilding it. I'm hoping for a 3/4 drop with a little bit of rake. My sig has pics of my truck with CPP's 1" front and 2" rear drop springs.

68 C10 stepside, LS1/700R4, TCI Engineering suspension system
68Stepbed is offline   Reply With Quote