The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-11-2015, 08:20 PM   #1
Dustint

Triangulated 4 link questions

Triangulated 4 link
So the while I'm at it bug has bitten me pretty hard, my '48 on a s10 chassis has a slough of parts waiting for it, pretty quick I'm going to have to do some work..Going to swap in an ls1, 4l60e combo from a 98 z28 camaro, and already have a currie 9'' rear, planning on a mild cam and fairly mild overall build for the ls1, but starting to think about a triangulated 4 link. (will be moving fuel source in the ls1 swap, and would like to eliminate panhard bar) mainly wanting to eliminate any axle wrap, improve traction and ride quality with the option to bag at some point. Definitely staying static with coil overs for now though.

I've never done a 4 link, so would prefer to go with a weld in kit route rather than fabbing my own, but having a hard time nailing a good one down for the s10 chassis. I realize there are universal ones as well, but again just hoping to simplify things some if possible since I have not done one before.

Certainly won't turn any advice away, and if anyone thinks it's overkill to do 4 link I'd be more than open to the real pros/cons opinions on things also.
Dustint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:59 PM   #2
twinsemi

Re: Triangulated 4 link questions

Sounds like a fun project. If you get people to start giving opinions here, you might get more than you expected. While I still have my OEM leafs with Bilsteins and Addco sway bars, I know that you want to stick to solid principles when you go triangulated. The car manufacturers always had lots of compliance in the arms and bushings. (u-section arms and lots of rubber) This means you want real good rod ends instead of the more common bushings, particularly on the angled links. Some previous threads have spent countless pages hammering the geometry back and forth. My read on all of it is that if you are going to all the work of a custom, why cut corners on the links by using a bushing based system. I have seen a TMR universal kit that looks solid, but I don't know anyone who has used it. Good luck.
twinsemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 08:47 AM   #3
GEARBOXGARAGE

Re: Triangulated 4 link questions

Check out this Art Morrison video comparing 3-Link to Triangulated 4-Bar. The Tri-4-Bar is a good set up and many of the aftermarket chassis manufacturers use it for good reason: it's simple and it works!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pq5LjV4lnV0
GEARBOXGARAGE is offline   Reply With Quote