The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-09-2020, 02:01 PM   #1
roll_the_dice

Re: Starting 1966 Factory Short Bed Build, Bagged, 383 Stroker and Muncie M20 4-Speed

I saw someone build a roll cage for their truck recently...I will see if I can find it. I know they were going to race the truck, so not sure if it was removable like you want or stationary.

On a side note,I agree with your above post. It is your truck; enjoy it and build it to make you happy. I have said when I take my truck to shows, I know some people won't like it..and I am fine with that...I am thinking of having a suggestion bucket...that cost the person a minimum of $5 for the suggestion! I have built mine not as a show truck, but a truck to enjoy, drive, and use as a truck. My wife and I love our truck and that is the only ones that matter or gets a vote.
roll_the_dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 03:35 PM   #2
88Stanger

Re: Starting 1966 Factory Short Bed Build, Bagged, 383 Stroker and Muncie M20 4-Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by roll_the_dice View Post
I saw someone build a roll cage for their truck recently...I will see if I can find it. I know they were going to race the truck, so not sure if it was removable like you want or stationary.

On a side note,I agree with your above post. It is your truck; enjoy it and build it to make you happy. I have said when I take my truck to shows, I know some people won't like it..and I am fine with that...I am thinking of having a suggestion bucket...that cost the person a minimum of $5 for the suggestion! I have built mine not as a show truck, but a truck to enjoy, drive, and use as a truck. My wife and I love our truck and that is the only ones that matter or gets a vote.
I appreciate any help you have.
I will be leaning on Scoti for some advice also.
88Stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 02:04 PM   #3
WunTon

What an awful idea why would you ever put a roll cage in your truck it's going to look terrible! You're going to ruin your truck how could you do that!

Haha just playing! Coming from the off road world and putting more than one vehicle on it's roof I appreciate the desire for a cage and I think when done properly they add a nice touch to the overall look especially when in your case you will have power and no doubt a nice mean sounding exhaust to bring a bit of muscle truck character to your truck. I say screw the snowflakes that don't have anything nice to say and build your truck the way you want it just don't forget to post lots of pics and remember triangulation is the key to a good strong cage!
WunTon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 02:18 PM   #4
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by WunTon View Post
What an awful idea why would you ever put a roll cage in your truck it's going to look terrible! You're going to ruin your truck how could you do that!

Haha just playing! Coming from the off road world and putting more than one vehicle on it's roof I appreciate the desire for a cage and I think when done properly they add a nice touch to the overall look especially when in your case you will have power and no doubt a nice mean sounding exhaust to bring a bit of muscle truck character to your truck. I say screw the snowflakes that don't have anything nice to say and build your truck the way you want it just don't forget to post lots of pics and remember triangulation is the key to a good strong cage!
Keep in mind that sometimes the "snowflakes" are possibly more knowledgeable on the subject & mean well but are poor @ communicating in a palatable manner.
It doesn't make them wrong on the subject matter.... Just poor communicators.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 02:28 PM   #5
WunTon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Keep in mind that sometimes the "snowflakes" are possibly more knowledgeable on the subject & mean well but are poor @ communicating in a palatable manner.
It doesn't make them wrong on the subject matter.... Just poor communicators.
Totally agree and my statement was more directed at the folks that make comments such as the beginning of my last post that only throw out negative comments based on looks or their own personal opinion of how something should be rather than actual useful info even if that useful info is poorly communicated. I find that even poorly communicated but good info can be extrapolated out to be helpful in the end even if it takes a few tries to get there sometimes lol.
Old 12-09-2020, 03:37 PM   #6
88Stanger

Quote:

LOL I get you and thanks for the key ideas to remember. I will try to show you all my ideas. I am looking at a company that builds the cages professionally and are NHRA Approved.
Old 12-09-2020, 07:17 PM   #7
88Stanger

I think i know what you are getting at Scoti. The bed is on bushings that will allow it to flex and move slightly independent of the frame, so anything attached to the frame will only move with the frame, so counter movements could cause damage. Damn, that could be bad. Even if i was to extend out to the bed, it is separated from the cab and can move independent of the cab also.... I think i am learning here.... So I think your idea is to just install a roll bar inside the cab, only attached to the cab, then the seatbelt shoulder straps could attach to that. I think this is what you are referring to.
Damn, great point.... so... maybe i ditch the whole idea of rollcage. I say this now also because that then interferers with my ideas for a boom box behind the seats in the area.... damn, i am learning all kinds of things today.... lol
Old 12-09-2020, 07:38 PM   #8
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Stanger View Post
I think i know what you are getting at Scoti. The bed is on bushings that will allow it to flex and move slightly independent of the frame, so anything attached to the frame will only move with the frame, so counter movements could cause damage. Damn, that could be bad. Even if i was to extend out to the bed, it is separated from the cab and can move independent of the cab also.... I think i am learning here.... So I think your idea is to just install a roll bar inside the cab, only attached to the cab, then the seatbelt shoulder straps could attach to that. I think this is what you are referring to.
Damn, great point.... so... maybe i ditch the whole idea of rollcage. I say this now also because that then interferers with my ideas for a boom box behind the seats in the area.... damn, i am learning all kinds of things today.... lol
Or, do a roll-bar so you have anchor points & have your boom-box idea incorporated into the cage structure as part of it's mounting structure. Skip the pass-through idea. Plate & gusset the cab as required for proper roll-bar anchoring.

That combo won't stiffen the chassis (make it better) but it would offer/increase 'roll-over' protection but even then your head can hit the hoop which defeats the purpose. This is why street cars should not have cages.... because you're not wearing an approved helmet on the street like you are @ the track.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 12-09-2020, 09:46 PM   #9
88Stanger

Quote:
Or, do a roll-bar so you have anchor points & have your boom-box idea incorporated into the cage structure as part of it's mounting structure. Skip the pass-through idea. Plate & gusset the cab as required for proper roll-bar anchoring.

That combo won't stiffen the chassis (make it better) but it would offer/increase 'roll-over' protection but even then your head can hit the hoop which defeats the purpose. This is why street cars should not have cages.... because you're not wearing an approved helmet on the street like you are @ the track.
Great points.
This is exactly what i was talking about earlier in my little rant. This is the best example of how to respond to a crazy idea that i had but in a very constructive way! So I really appreciate you for that. You saved me from a major mistake and did so in a constructive way.

i swear i owe a few of you on here a drink or two some day... LOL

I am going to get the seats mounted and test fitted and see what i have to work with after that. Then go with idea on roll bar or maybe just a Harness bar, or maybe no bar....

Last edited by 88Stanger; 12-10-2020 at 11:08 AM.
Old 12-10-2020, 09:43 PM   #10
88Stanger

Update of Seats mounted
Attached Images

Old 12-10-2020, 09:44 PM   #11
88Stanger

more:
Attached Images

Old 12-09-2020, 07:34 PM   #12
88Stanger

Yep, I get it now. Damn, Thank you so much for this insight. I would have made a major bobo without your input.
I am making the decision to not install the roll bar connected to the inside of the cab. So now that this is over.... LOL i will start to look at my boom box design now that there will be little to no issues with a roll bar.. lol I still may look at a way to install a bar just to mount a set of shoulder straps to for seatbelts.... maybe.... i do not that there is a truck on here that did just this... i will see if i saved his pic.
Old 12-14-2020, 07:01 PM   #13
88Stanger

Well seems like i may have some additional time at home for about 10 days..... damnit... yes, I tested Positive for Covid. I was helping whom i call my sister and her husband move furniture for new carpet and her brother does not help moving, but is there and well now they all have it, I got tested and poof... Positive... damnit. With that said, so far and it is have been a few days, I am not to bad... a bit tired and beat, somewhat dry cough and that feeling of helplessness because there is nothing you can really do unless you are really bad off but just work through it... So, that is what i am doing. Not sure what or how much i can do on the truck, but i will try to do what i can.

Idea is to get the cab ready for good base high build primer and get main body work done... Then get inside cab ready for POR15 on floor, then sound mat installed, then inside paint done... So God willing, I will get some of that done in the next 7 to 10 days....
John 3:16 - Saved me... God Bless
Old 12-14-2020, 07:26 PM   #14
SCOTI

Bummer deal....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 12-14-2020, 07:38 PM   #15
88Stanger

Quote:
Bummer deal....
yep... but what can you do... Pray it all goes good... God has it now...

So far, nothing to bad....
Old 12-22-2020, 08:30 PM   #16
88Stanger

Ok, doing way better now after my little stint with Covid (Little rat bastard).... Anyways, sorry had to do a little venting...

Ok, so I had time to look and i found that someone makes a "Smooth" Cowl panel for the truck.. 1966. I need and want that because a.) i will have Vintage Air in the truck and then i want to use that open space where the kick panel vents are for open air space for a set of 6" mids. and i do not want water in there. so with that said, anyone install one? If so where did you get it?
Old 12-23-2020, 02:25 PM   #17
53Sparky

Glad you're doing better. Had to take my daughter in for a test after her coworker came to work for 3 more days after testing positive so she wouldn't miss a pay check. Grr.

Have you considered the panels that go in the rear corners of the cab for speakers? Brothers makes an insert panel you can put there. I used to have a F*&d with speakers in the kick panels. I could never keep my big ass feet from beating on the speaker grills when I got in or out, shifted, Hi Beam Low Beam etc. Especially with work boots on.

Numbers 6:24-26
53Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 08:26 PM   #18
roll_the_dice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Stanger View Post
Ok, doing way better now after my little stint with Covid (Little rat bastard).... Anyways, sorry had to do a little venting...

Ok, so I had time to look and i found that someone makes a "Smooth" Cowl panel for the truck.. 1966. I need and want that because a.) i will have Vintage Air in the truck and then i want to use that open space where the kick panel vents are for open air space for a set of 6" mids. and i do not want water in there. so with that said, anyone install one? If so where did you get it?

Glad you are feeling better...

I inquired a few months ago about the smooth cowl and didn't get much feedback. One person replied and said it fit well. I am interested in getting one also...I either will eventually get one or put some kind of screen under the holes in the cowl...If you get one please post how you like it.
roll_the_dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 05:18 PM   #19
WunTon

Glad to hear your doing ok! I'll be watching to see what you come up with. My plan is to use a sundown 8" behind the seat with a set of Hertz Mille 2 ways or maybe 3 ways somewhere powered by a pair of JL amps mostly because I have all those items sitting in boxes in the garage that I've been intending to put in my daily for the last two years and haven't gotten around to it yet lol.
Old 12-24-2020, 11:39 AM   #20
88Stanger

Quote:
Glad to hear your doing ok! I'll be watching to see what you come up with. My plan is to use a sundown 8" behind the seat with a set of Hertz Mille 2 ways or maybe 3 ways somewhere powered by a pair of JL amps mostly because I have all those items sitting in boxes in the garage that I've been intending to put in my daily for the last two years and haven't gotten around to it yet lol.
Thanks, i am not going to it was easy... it sucked but feeling way better just feels way better. lol

Dang, nice to have the just lying around. LOL If i was you i would use what you have. I have only a 400Watt Mono amp now, so that will power the JL W1 10" Subs. Rest of the stuff will all be JL Audio.
Pics will certainly be coming.
Old 12-25-2020, 09:16 PM   #21
SkinnyG

If my math is correct, that looks like about 0.75ft2 per sub. That's pretty small for a ported box - is that what these subs require?
Lotus Super 7 Replica: Scratch-built street-legal rollerskate
SkinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 12:50 PM   #22
88Stanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyG View Post
If my math is correct, that looks like about 0.75ft2 per sub. That's pretty small for a ported box - is that what these subs require?
Thanks for checking my math. So i went in and rechecked it and I get .89 sq ft per sub still. Used Rockford Fosgates calc and an independent one, both came up with .89. I tried inside dimensions and outside to verify and they both checked out. Each enclosure is 25" wide, 8" deep bottom, 4" deep top and stands 16" tall. These are outside dimensions - so inside dimensions would be 23.5" wide, 6.5" deep bottom, 2.5" deep top, 14.5" tall.

So the JL-Audio 10" W1v3 subs each require on a ported box .90 cubic feet or air, so i am just under that and knowing my wood cutting, i will be just over .90 cubic feet.... lol. Just for me i sent my design of the box into JL Audio and asked them what they thought. My only real issue is the port volume and size. I am trying to match what they have for volume and i think i am close. I am waiting on their response.
Old 12-26-2020, 12:57 PM   #23
SkinnyG

Did you subtract the volume of the port, and the volume of the sub from the enclosure volume?
Old 12-26-2020, 01:13 PM   #24
88Stanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyG View Post
Did you subtract the volume of the port, and the volume of the sub from the enclosure volume?
This is exactly what i am looking at now and no i did not. LOL
I really appreciate the help here!!
Old 12-26-2020, 12:59 PM   #25
SkinnyG

I've used WinISD for designing boxes. Fun to play with, and it's free. http://www.linearteam.org/