The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-06-2014, 07:59 PM   #1
steven70c10

new guy needs big block swap advice/tips.

Hey guys. Im new to the fourms here and was wondering if i could get some tips and info from some people who have done this before. I have a 1970 c10 long box with a 6cyl. And a 3 speed on the floor. I want to put a big block in it but i am wondering what is going to be involved in it and what am i getting into? Also, i have my eye on a '68 vette 427 rebuilt for 3k but i can get a 454 for almost half that price. Would it be worth dishing out the extra money for a 427 or would the 454 be better? My goal for the truck is to be competative on the weekend drags at the track while still being fairly streetable . Any tips, tricks and advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
steven70c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:36 PM   #2
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

Re: new guy needs big block swap advice/tips.

Depends on which 427 that vette motor is. If it's not the one withe the forged crank and square port heads, it's not any different than any pedestrian big block. Heads are important, it's worth it to pay extra for good heads. That being said, new, that is modern aftermarket heads are way better than any head GM ever made.
You might want to post this question again in the racing section. Fwiw
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 10:42 PM   #3
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven70c10 View Post
Hey guys. Im new to the fourms here and was wondering if i could get some tips and info from some people who have done this before. I have a 1970 c10 long box with a 6cyl. And a 3 speed on the floor. I want to put a big block in it but i am wondering what is going to be involved in it and what am i getting into? Also, i have my eye on a '68 vette 427 rebuilt for 3k but i can get a 454 for almost half that price. Would it be worth dishing out the extra money for a 427 or would the 454 be better? My goal for the truck is to be competative on the weekend drags at the track while still being fairly streetable . Any tips, tricks and advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
You didn't mention how your skills are. if you know what you are doing the 454 would likely be a better choice. Bored .060 over, a new set of heads and a roller cam you'll have a very nice 468 that will smoke a 427 stocker. Stroke that 468 and you get a 496. A very popular build with the 1320 ft. racing set. It's a matter of what you can do and your budget.
Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:45 PM   #4
sleeper69

i have rectangular port heads on my 427 tall deck stroker and this thing is a monster
sleeper69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:47 PM   #5
sleeper69

count the bore and stroke im also at 525 ci but so much fun
sleeper69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:03 PM   #6
hugger6933

Welcome to the site, you didn't mention what the 454 was out of if it is a truck say 79 or newer up to the mid to late 80's it has peanut port heads and they are a log jamb for air flow[read POWER and TORQUE]. If that is indeed the case being a later 454 also the compression is WAY low like a 7:8to 1 something crazy low like that. Now if the 454 say pass hi perf on the block and heads you in better shape it is still most likely a oval port motor but you really need to make stupid crazy power to need the rectangular ports. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:06 PM   #7
FRANKENSTEINC10

A few things you are going to want to think about...
1st new radiator right off the bat. New tranny. Motor stands (can be found cheap but the factory style is around 200 used) or you can use 3rd gen stands and motor mounts. Shift linkage. Depending on headers (long/short) you might need to modify the tranny cross member. Drive shaft depending on tranny choice and placement of the engine. Make sure you have big block brackets because they are not cheap either.
Now I am not trying to scare you sway from going big block, but I have been working on mine since the 28th of December and yesterday was the first day I actually drive it around for an extended period of time. The receipts add up very quickly. Mostly from hardware and beer. But which ever you choose make s ure you keep us posted, and plenty of pics
FRANKENSTEINC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:19 PM   #8
cwilkie
Chance

Go 496. I had. 427 built and it runs and performs great. For the money I spent machining I still kick myself for not going 496 because I could have gotten that for the Minh I spent on my 496.

1972 Chevrolet 3/4 Ton 4x4
BB 496 w/TH400
cwilkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:24 PM   #9
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeper69 View Post
i have rectangular port heads on my 427 tall deck stroker and this thing is a monster
So is this one. It turns low 11's with the AC on:
Attached Images

Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 11:02 PM   #10
steven70c10

Hey, thanks for all the feed back. With a budget of around 5k and a bit more research, i think im going to stick with a small block and use my current transmission. I may need to start a different thread? I was thinking of starting with a new gm crate 290hp 350, swapping the heads for a decent aftermarket set and an aluminum intake with headers. I read it should be a fairly easy swap. I was also reading about these exhaust turbos and also a torqstorm centrifugal supercharger. Does anyone run any of these set-ups and how happy were they with the power from them? Sorry for the late reply!
steven70c10 is offline   Reply With Quote