The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Alternate Tinkerings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-21-2016, 09:32 AM   #1
Tynee
I miss this truck.

Tool box hobby

So, my "alternate tinkering" lately has been looking for vintage toolboxes to flip. Found a couple of vintage boxes at a local pawn shop yesterday, and they followed me home. Planning to clean them up, clean and grease the slides, and flip them. If I can make enough on the Proto and the tools that are in it to cover my cost, I may keep the Snappy. Don't tell Mrs. Tynee that, though.

1966 Snap-On KRA58B. All drawers work, none sag. Lock is there, no key, have my doubts as to the functionality of the lock if I did have the key. Only issue I can find is the slightly bent lower drawer pull, and some rust. Going to take more elbow grease on this than the Proto.

I know a whole lot less about the Proto. Twertsy, from GarageJournal and ToolArchives, informed me that the "Registered Trademark" in the logo means it's AT LEAST IR era, I'm hoping there's a way to lock it down to pre-Stanley, we'll see. Steep learning curve on this one.

Only real issue with this one seems to be some light surface rust on the lid. Going to take a LOT of cleanup and lubrication. Again, no bent sheet metal, no sagging drawers. No key, but the lock looks to be in much better condition on this one. This one included a Proto 3/4" ratchet, half a dozen 3/4" drive sockets, and 6 or 8 Proto combination wrenches, all 1"+.

Interesting side-note: The Snap-On is heavier with nothing but light-weight junk in it, than the Proto with several reasonably heavy tools.

Let me know what you think of them, I'm open to all information on them.

'08 Crew Cab Z-71 short bed. Really like this truck A LOT.
Tynee is offline   Reply With Quote