The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-23-2009, 04:27 PM   #1
chevymotocross

87 only starting with brakes?

Had a wierd thing with my truck today. For some reason, the truck will now only start with the brakes applied. The truck will not even attempt to turn over unless I push the brake pedal. What the heck is going on with this? 1987 silverado 2wd auto

Last edited by chevymotocross; 01-23-2009 at 04:27 PM.
chevymotocross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 04:34 PM   #2
87Bob

Re: 87 only starting with brakes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevymotocross View Post
Had a wierd thing with my truck today. For some reason, the truck will now only start with the brakes applied. The truck will not even attempt to turn over unless I push the brake pedal. What the heck is going on with this? 1987 silverado 2wd auto
Could the transmission netural switch be bad? and that may be a backup safety interlock? I know manuals have a clutch pedal switch that has to be pressed to start.

Last edited by 87Bob; 01-23-2009 at 04:35 PM.
87Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 06:29 PM   #3
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

No Bob, that isn't it. GM never used such an arrangement. What Chevy is expirencing is a back feed from the brake circut into the ign and crank circuts. Reason is one of the fuse links has let go and has killed part of the "always hot" circut OR there is a problem with the bulkhead connector behind the fuse block. There have got to be other failures your not seeing. Check out all the fuse links. I think there are 5 of them total. 1 on the fire wall by the booster, 3 on the starter and 1 on the alt. I would check the starter ones first. Just pull on the wire gently, if it's bad it'll come appart or stretch. Let us know what happens. jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 06:42 PM   #4
chevymotocross

I will have to check out those links. I will add that the truck starts w/o applying the brakes in Neutral, this is just occuring in Park. When I turn the key to on while in Park, the fuel pump kicks on, lights on dash come on, it's just not starting the truck unless the brakes are applied.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:04 PM   #5
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

Chevy, that changes like everything, LOLL. Replace the neutral saftey switch. Check the links too but 5$ will get ya $10 the switch went away. Bypass it to test and see if thats it or check it with a ohm meter, Jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:08 PM   #6
chevymotocross

Lol, i just went to the truck, tapped on that switch with my mini flash light and it started right up! looks very dusty at that switch. I will take it off, blow away some of that dust, and maybe that will be all that is needed.
Old 01-24-2009, 08:20 AM   #7
87Bob

Talking Re: 87 only starting with brakes?

HMMMMM wasn't the netural switch the First thing I suggested??????
Old 01-24-2009, 09:48 AM   #8
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

Credit where credit is due. The first part was correct. The NS switch. I think there is more here than meets the eye. I thought about this and tried to duplicate his problem with my parts truck. Disconnect NS switch=no start. Step on brake, still no start. It;s an 86 K20 with a THM400 trans. 33 years with Chevy and I never saw anything like this, LOL. These old trucks can still throw a curve ball, jim
Old 01-25-2009, 11:40 AM   #9
chevymotocross

I'm tackling the switch today. I read the directions on how to remove/install the switch but there is barely any access to this switch. There is no way I can do this replacement where the switch is located. Does the column have to be dropped? Any easier methods?
Old 01-25-2009, 11:56 AM   #10
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

Sorry Chevy, there isn't an easier way to swap it out unless you get someone else to do it. jim
Old 01-25-2009, 11:59 AM   #11
chevymotocross

Quote:
Originally Posted by James McClure View Post
Sorry Chevy, there isn't an easier way to swap it out unless you get someone else to do it. jim
So the column will have to be dropped? I already removed the metal dash panel that hides the column. I removed the 2 nuts clamping the column to the dash. Doesn't seem to want to budge down though.

Last edited by chevymotocross; 01-25-2009 at 11:59 AM.
chevymotocross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 12:39 PM   #12
us111

HELLO,before u pull that colum down if it is colum shift b sure to unhook the shift indicator from the colum.its a little string like attached to the colum behind the shifter,if not u will break it.had to pry and fight pretty hard with mine to drop it.also the wiring harness holds it up to if i remember correctly.
us111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 12:56 PM   #13
chevymotocross

Yup, I removed that little cable for the shift indictator. The directions are very misleading. It says to insert a drill bit into a depth hole blablabla. There is none of this on the new or old one I pulled off. I got the new one installed and it still have this problem of only starting with the brakes on in park, starts normal in neutral. Really bugging me!
Old 01-25-2009, 01:14 PM   #14
chevymotocross

Guys, I AM THE IDIOT OF THE YEAR! It was not the neutral safety switch.... a previous owner added a KILLSWITCH!!!!!!! I did not see this before until looking around underneath the dash. I must have hit the switch with my leg while getting out of the truck. wow, I feel stupid! Hopefully I can return that switch to napa.