The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-26-2008, 07:09 PM   #1
1984 swb chevy

Lmc = crap

Went out to install some new parts that my wife got me for Christmas and was not very happy with the quality. I received a stainless grill molding kit,stainless bumper bolt kit and a few other finishing parts. The grill molding kits fit and finish was junk and the stainless bolts for the bumper were dented up. I know this stuff isnt OEM but it is far from nice. I will be sending this stuff back and looking for some clean used parts or NOS parts.
1984 swb chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 08:08 PM   #2
LMDGUY

Re: Lmc = crap

I just did new chrome headlamp bezels and grill surround for my 73 C10 fit wasnt all that bad. when compared to my stock stuff it was about the same. sorry to hear you had problems

2013 Silverado

1964 Cadillac
LMDGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 08:22 PM   #3
1984 swb chevy

I have the chrome headlight bezles and a billet grill from them and they seem to fit ok. The grill molding doesnt fit flush to the front fender. I also ordered replacement screws for my gas filler neck and received plain sheet metal screws for 95 cents each. I would never use them for restoration parts but Iguesss some of their stuff is ok.
Old 12-26-2008, 09:15 PM   #4
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

LMC is hit or miss. They used to be better, but their quality has diminished. Some of their parts are just fine, and some are junk. You just never know.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 10:35 PM   #5
ChaseDale3and8

I bought their aftermarket sidemarkers and tail light assemblys for my 86 K10. They are ok for a driver I guess, but I was really dissapointed with the quality of them. they weren't what I expected to get. I bought the parts with the trim. The trim they use doesn't fit or look right around the lenses. I had to bend the trim just to try to get them to look halfway decent. I'll be looking for G.M. parts when it comes time do do a full restoration on my truck. ...Joe
Old 12-26-2008, 10:48 PM   #6
v8blaze

its not lmc, its all aftermarket parts in general. Ive bought some aftermarkt parts for my s10 and the radiator support except for 3 bolt holes *out of alot* lined up perfect but the chrome grill hasnt held up well at all and had some what looked like runs in it. Its just buyer beware for aftermarket anything
v8blaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 10:51 PM   #7
boatpuller

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
LMC is hit or miss. They used to be better, but their quality has diminished. Some of their parts are just fine, and some are junk. You just never know.
that's how lmc is with me too.the former chevyduty.not sure what it's called now? i had better luck with their quality.most trim item's are all made by the same place.these truck's aren't old enough to have a whole bunch of interest in repopping stuf like 56 belairs or something like that,where there is several different choice's.
Old 12-26-2008, 10:57 PM   #8
1984 swb chevy

I was able to find NOS tail lights and front marker lights. I would spend the extra money to buy good or NOS parts. All the parts i got from LMC are made in Thailand. I guess they have no quality control. I need outside door handles also but I an afraid to buy more junk aftermarket parts.
Old 12-26-2008, 11:24 PM   #9
silvereagle07

I had some issues with LMC too. I hung some doors for a friend. Fit and fininsh was terrible. The door handle kit finish was ok but fitting them to the doors was a chore. All aftermarket parts are hit or miss. Good luck.

'84 GMC project truck
'85 Chevy 4X4 SOLD
'07 Chevy Trailblazer SS

5th Annual SHPHC Car/Truck Show Pics
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=543605 UPDATED PICS! CHECK 'EM OUT
silvereagle07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 12:01 AM   #10
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpuller View Post
that's how lmc is with me too.the former chevyduty.not sure what it's called now? i had better luck with their quality.most trim item's are all made by the same place.these truck's aren't old enough to have a whole bunch of interest in repopping stuf like 56 belairs or something like that,where there is several different choice's.
They are now called Classic Parts of America, and can be found here...

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 12:02 AM   #11
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

LMC does seem to be hit and miss though. Sorry to hear that you had bad luck with your shipment.

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 12:10 AM   #12
Square84
I don't think these pills work

i also bought the grille surround and a fender from lmc both fit like crap but i've also bought alot of little stuff from them that was nice and worked properly. all their weatherstripping worked real well.
Old 12-27-2008, 02:08 AM   #13
asphaltburner

Yo! I buy from Classic Industries when I can because they supply GM approved "restoration quality" parts, and even the OEM stuff is sometimes only acceptable, but not always what the origonal parts were like, so I hit the junkyards as much as I can!
Origonal is best, OEM is second best, and aftermarket (LMC, etc,...) is as good as you can do for the least available stuff.
I've had good luck with LMC, but sometimes ya just gotta send the parts back and demand replacement or refund. Got a w/s washer pump from them that was suposed to fit my truck, and was obviously the wrong one. They sent me a new one free, and had me keep the old one because it cost too much to ship back.
Even had to spar back and forth with Classic Industries over a steel hood that was sent out irreparably damaged, but they finally admitted fault and sent me a new one!
I figure that with the hundreds of parts I've purchased via the internet, something was gonna be a problem someday (I've built six vehicles using internet parts)!
Usually the vendors are good about trying to satisfy their customers,...
Refurbish those origonal parts if possible! Todd.
Old 12-27-2008, 04:42 AM   #14
78 Big10 454
78 Big10 454

1984: Sorry to hear about your bad experience. Fortunately, I've always had good luck with LMC - both with their products and customer service.
78 Big10 454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 07:13 AM   #15
Mr79C10
It Is What It Is,,,,

I agree,
I bought from them twice now. The first time I ordered a set of tail lights. They sent em alright. one was made in Thailand and the other China. Up close you could tell the difference but a ways back,, it looks ok.... Was just thinking of the knumb skull that picked my order couldnt give me the "same" pair of lenses.
Then second time was just recently after i scored front and rear chrome bumpers. I need bumper bolts right,, Was no where near impressed with the quality, I could of been better on cleaning and painting my old ones with a chrome paint......
79 C-10 project
.........................__
..............._____ l __\___
..............|_(O)_ |___(O) ]
FAQ INDEX Thread
The Kulture
My Rat Den
Mr79C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 11:45 AM   #16
78 Chevyrado
Account Suspended

The only thing I've bought from LMC was a front bumper, brackets and bolts. My bolts were in great shape so send yours back and get new ones. The carriage bolts that go through the bumper weren't as shiny as the bumper but I fixed that by polishing them on the wheel, now they match the bumper.

I'm with asphaltburner, I use classic parts of america as a rule, but have bought from other places when they don't have something. Plus a good bit of the stuff I bought from classic parts of america came in a GM box, not aftermarket. The one part I have the biggest gripe with from them (aftermarket) is the 73-80 fender mounted front turn signals. Where they mount the fender "bows outward", yet the light bows inward, exactly opposite.

I'm sure you could call classic parts and see which parts are GM, since they don't specify on their site unless you're in the NOS section.

Last edited by 78 Chevyrado; 12-27-2008 at 11:46 AM.
78 Chevyrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 12:52 PM   #17
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

You have to be selective as to what you purchase on these aftermarket outlets. I live just down the highway from LMC, Classic Parts, Manes and Carters. I can go to the counter and compare before I purchase. They do sell some actual factory pieces and you get a decent fit, then again the trim is something I found to stay away from.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 01:10 PM   #18
Duro5341

I was also not impressed when I ordered a big block rad support from them last year. I needed the 4 core upper rad support, when I only had the 2 core, 19" core rad.

Anyways the parts was only $25 or something around there, and the ended up charging my $58 to ship it UPS, because they wouldn't ship it through USPS to Canada, for a grand total of $83.00 for a piece of stamped steel, worth $25

Anyways I was less than inpressed, and refuse to order anything from them ever again, I'll make the parts next time. or source it from somewhere else. Before this I only heard good things about this place, and they lost me first try. I have ordered over $3000 in parts from another place to finish rebuilding my truck......
Duro
-1979 Monte Carlo, 350, 200r4, 3.73 posi
-1987 GT T-top Mustang - slow moving project

Last edited by N2TRUX; 12-28-2008 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Improper language
Duro5341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 10:53 PM   #19
killthewabbit
Spear and magic helmet!

They have a nice catalog.
Old 12-28-2008, 01:11 AM   #20
asphaltburner

Yo!
Yeah! Their catalog has alot of "exploded views" of systems that you'd not otherwise find except in a shop manual, and are invaluable.
I've found that they supply some parts I can get no other way!
My rear bumper bolt kit was perfect, as was my premium bumper and the license plate insert, but I still maintain that internet ordering CAN be hit or miss:

Name:  101408 002 (Custom).jpg
Views: 581
Size:  46.4 KB

Well worth the convenience, when used discriminently, overall. Todd.

Last edited by asphaltburner; 12-28-2008 at 01:13 AM.
asphaltburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 04:10 AM   #21
ChaseDale3and8

Quote:
Originally Posted by asphaltburner View Post
Yo!
Yeah! Their catalog has alot of "exploded views" of systems that you'd not otherwise find except in a shop manual, and are invaluable.
I've found that they supply some parts I can get no other way!
My rear bumper bolt kit was perfect, as was my premium bumper and the license plate insert, but I still maintain that internet ordering CAN be hit or miss:

Attachment 415626

Well worth the convenience, when used discriminently, overall. Todd.
You make a very valid point my friend. That is exactly why this forum is so helpful when buying parts for our trucks via the internet. When a part or a company that sells parts for our trucks isn't what we expected we have a place to share the experience to warn others so they don't have the same experience that we did.

The same holds true for the good suppliers and the good parts that they sell. Sharing info on who is a good supplier and who sells top quality parts is priceless, and it's one of the things that I like best about this forum. We can save each other some headaches! You can almost expect that most of the aftermarket parts out there aren't going to fit without some persuasion at best. That's just the reality of it.

Maybe some day these trucks will gain the popularity of the 67-72 models and the aftermarket will catch up and improve their tooling and start making parts that actually fit and look as good as the original GM parts did. Until that happens though we are stuck with the best that we can find be it used, new O.E.M., or aftermarket. ...Joe
Old 12-28-2008, 03:25 PM   #22
73chevyman

84 swb chevy heres some NOS door handles
http://www.americanclassic.com/asp/d...ype=to&exyear=
http://hotridesmag.com/
73chevyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 03:30 PM   #23
73chevyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73chevyman View Post
84 swb chevy heres some NOS door handles
http://www.americanclassic.com/asp/d...ype=to&exyear=
damn screw that link it was discontinued sorry about that
Old 12-28-2008, 03:33 PM   #24
73chevyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984 swb chevy View Post
I was able to find NOS tail lights and front marker lights. I would spend the extra money to buy good or NOS parts. All the parts i got from LMC are made in Thailand. I guess they have no quality control. I need outside door handles also but I an afraid to buy more junk aftermarket parts.
try are site vendor capt chaos
http://store.73-87chevytrucks.com/me...tegory_Code=7T
Old 12-28-2008, 03:37 PM   #25
1984 swb chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73chevyman View Post
damn screw that link it was discontinued sorry about that
Thank you . I got all excited when I saw your first post. I went on and they are discontinued. Thanks anyway.