The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-24-2016, 10:26 PM   #1
dmjlambert

Using horn from later model Chevy on my 1969 truck

Using a horn from a later model Chevy means the horn will not have an old-fashioned blade terminal. The newer ones have a plastic clip socket and I found the clip plugs with pigtails to be expensive. So, I created my own pigtail adapter so I can use a common blade terminal to hook into the wiring harness connector.
First, I wrapped the stripped end of a short piece of wire around a small nail. Then I tinned it with a soldering iron, and pulled it off the nail while still hot. I tinned the horn's terminals, then slipped the prepared and tinned wire onto the terminals while heating it. Finished by heating the connection with the soldering iron and adding more solder. Repeat for the other terminal. It takes a little finesse to avoid melting the connector plastic while soldering because the terminals are way down inside. One wire gets a blade terminal, and the other wire gets a ring terminal to connect to the bracket for ground. Fill the horn connector with RTV. Done.
This horn is from a 1999 Chevy Astro Van.
Attached Images

dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 11:29 AM   #2
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: Using horn from later model Chevy on my 1969 truck

Necessity is the mother of invention.\
Combine that with innovation and talent and we have Mr Dmjlambert.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 12:21 PM   #3
dmjlambert

Re: Using horn from later model Chevy on my 1969 truck

I did find one of the horns had a messed up adapter (1st picture) or messed up soldering job of mine. The high horn sounded horrible and only lasted a few toots. Horn did not work with my adapter on, and did work when connecting directly to the horn contacts. So I left the adapter off, wrapped the stripped wire around a larger nail, and soldered it directly to the horn contacts. Filled the horn's connector with RTV. Looks fine and works well when installed. That is probably a more elegant way, because now I have fewer connectors and better connections. Now I have a two-note system.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote