The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The pre 1947 Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-22-2013, 06:48 PM   #1
Gippetto

I'm not whining, honest.

I am in the middle of the patch panel rust cut-out surgery that can give instant gratification or worries that your fenders won't fit.
I am done with the passenger side, replacing inner and outer cowl panels. The inner cowl piece I bought from Classic Parts wasn't even close to fitting. I know there is tweaking required in most cases but, I would have been better off starting with a flat piece of sheet metal. I later read a testimonial in one of the Classic Truck magazines where the editor said the best fitting parts, in his opinion, were from LMC. I bought the driver's side set of parts from LMC and don't see much better fitment. I even recall the stick-on lables being the same as Brother's making me think they are all made at the same Taiwan factory probably by 14 year old kid working 16 hour days for a kick in the ribs.
What have you experienced in this area? I find it frustrating. It makes me wonder if I am scewing up the entiire project. When I started, the doors and fenders were quite straight considering the truck was in the queue to be crushed. There are lines established at this level that can kill later fits.

By the way we are talking about a '47 GMC. Any thoughts, experience with these parts?
Gippetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 09:05 PM   #2
skymangs

Re: I'm not whining, honest.

I am putting classic parts panels in my 49, inner/outer cowls, braces, cab to floor braces,, Lower door frames, etc. They all fit like crap. IMHO all the repair panels fit like crap, and only look good on the showroom floor. The only time I use them is to replace pieces that have compound curves. easier to modify a patch than to make it myself.
skymangs is offline   Reply With Quote