The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-12-2023, 08:09 PM   #1
DLH

Driveshaft help

Someone school me on what I am doing. I have a 70 long bed, coil spring. Putting in a 5.3/4l60e. I have a doner shaft from a 94 Silverado and the adapter bracket that captain fab sells. Right now I am just working on the front half of the shaft assembly. When I slide the driveshaft back to remove it, the carrier bearing hits the crossmember before the yoke clears the tranny. I only get about 2 ½ inches of travel. I did measure the OG factory yoke and it was an inch shorter than the yoke I am using, that inch would help but I think I’m missing something.

Thanks, David
Attached Images

Old 10-13-2023, 01:29 AM   #2
Richard

Re: Driveshaft help

On a two piece driveline the only thing to be concerned about trans yoke on front shaft is that it has 2" or more spline engagement and is not bottomed out. There is realy not much movement at all because trans and carrier bearing are fixed. The slip yoke on the rear shaft is the one that will move more because it is attached to the rear axle. Even there on the stock driveline probably less than 1/2" of movement.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2023, 07:58 AM   #3
Joyridin

The yoke on the original driveshaft is shorter than the yoke on a 1 piece driveshaft. It isn't a big issue except in a case like yours.

I have a 1 piece shaft and I use the short yoke. Like Richard stated, there is barely any movement.
Joyridin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2023, 10:08 AM   #4
DLH

welp, got ahold of the captain. He straightened me out. Kind of hate to say, exposing my ignorance and all, but... take off the metal shield and the carrier bearing will slide right through the crossmember hole.
Old 10-20-2023, 01:49 PM   #5
biketopia

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLH View Post
welp, got ahold of the captain. He straightened me out. Kind of hate to say, exposing my ignorance and all, but... take off the metal shield and the carrier bearing will slide right through the crossmember hole.
We all have to learn! None of us knew it all the first time we messed with anything.

07 Silverado Classic 2wd

95 Camaro 427SBC/TH350
biketopia is offline   Reply With Quote