The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-07-2012, 11:20 PM   #1
kurama49

my 75 GMC K10 build! [slow.]

Hi everyone, I'm new here! and from Canada [Eh!] I recently acquired my Step-fathers 75 GMC back from a family friend. We sold it 5 years ago after we had rebuilt it. I'll list off some of the goodies it had when we sold it
SBC 350 - 400hp
327 Cam, Shaved heads,Edelbrock performer intake, Edelbrock Performer 750cfm carb. And Weisco pistons.
Rebuilt chain driven transfer case, with a Mile marker conversion kit
33" Super swamper boggers
4" Rancho lift kit
Nice sound system with subs
And a 350 tranny with a shift kit.

We had sold it to a friend due to financial problems... I asked him to please hold onto it, until i got my license, because i would buy it back off him, and he said he would.

5 years later... I am now almost 17 and allready had 2 trucks.
1st one I got this summer was a 2001 Ford Ranger
Aftermath pic...

Then i picked up this heap for $500

Turned out it was going to cost too much to fix, so its sitting in my yard now. I am now broke and in desperate need of a vehicle..
but then I get a surprise.. I come home one day and the truck is in the yard.. Turns out my Mother and father had both chipped in money to buy me the old blue truck back! But it was/is in very sad shape... The beastly 350 was taken out and replaced with a tired worn out 305.. the moose killer bumper was taken off and replace with a stock bumper and a 6.5ft plow, the 33"s were long gone and replace with 235/75/15R snow tires,gas tank and bed are rotten.. And the tranny makes funky rattling noises in 3rd... So, my plan? Restore it back to its former glory and more! This is also my daily driver, so this will be a slow build up. I am going to put in a 6.2L Diesel with a more modern 5spd for MPG reasons. I'm currently trying to find some 35"s for it, as-well as a fleet side bed. and also put some 3/4ton axles under it. So wish me luck!... I only have old pictures of the truck currently, But i will take some new ones as soon as I find my camera!

Hope You guys like it!
kurama49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:50 AM   #2
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Re: my 75 GMC K10 build! [slow.]

That last pic is a great shot. Sweet truck.
Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:25 PM   #3
kurama49

Didnt get much done to the truck today... ordered a new gas tank. Should be in monday, biggest thing i got done was mount my new antenna... a 7ft CB antenna of my grandpas garage lol, I put it on the back light bracket ... and stripped the bolt in the process.. so thats not coming off soon XD
Old 03-14-2012, 01:08 AM   #4
kurama49

Truck's in the shop now having the front leaf spring bushings and passenger front center bolt replaced.. hit a bump a bit too hard and heard a loud *SNAP!* So is stopped it there and had it towed to a local heavy duty spring shop. Should be done tomorrow.. Also, my transmission is making weird rattling noises in 3rd... the trucks a Auto, I forgot what tranny is in it, but its only a 3spd. Also, anyone know some kind of cheap ways to get some mpgs out of a carbed 305?
Old 03-14-2012, 05:08 PM   #5
kurama49

got the truck back Found out there was no centerbolts in the front springs at ALL! steering was so out of whack i had to Re-adjust my steering wheel.. which is also a new one out of a 88 so no more go-kart steering wheel! Next on the list:
Gas tank
Tie Rod ends
U-joints
front Drive shaft
4x4 shifter
and get rid of the Super quiet mufflers... I'm getting glasspacks for this mofo!
Old 03-24-2012, 11:55 AM   #6
kurama49

well i finally found my camera... got some recent pics of the truck,

The tired ratty old 305...

This pump pulley DEFIANTLY needs to be fixed! whoever put it on must have been crosseyed!

Somethings missing here...

Super epic strong bumper- Weleded to the frame :X

This is true... lol

New gastank!

and heres the reason why the 4x4 shifter is missing...

Gunna try to use some JB weld to put it back on
Old 03-24-2012, 03:39 PM   #7
kurama49

I have a little question, Will the grille from a Chevy G20 fit my K10? I really want to put a chevy grille in my truck, to match the rest of the chevrolet stuff.. IE: Steering wheel/tailgate say chevy, Grille says GMC lol
Old 03-31-2012, 12:44 PM   #8
kurama49

Welp, i got a lightbar for the truck today, [Still need to fix up the lights, and could anyone help me find out the make/model of it?]

And re-mounted my antenna, i put it on the step for the stepside.

Then i seen a little hole under the seat in the corner... gave it a few hard taps with the vice grips i had in hand and it turned into this

And then theres my poor boy sound system :p all made with stuff i had in the garage

Last edited by kurama49; 03-31-2012 at 12:56 PM.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:08 PM   #9
kurama49

Almost got the new gas tank in... what a pain!! >_< all the bolts are Either
1. Rusted to hell
2. Clogged with mud and rusty
Or 3. Muddy, Rusty, and stripped.
Old 04-01-2012, 02:30 PM   #10
kurama49

Got my gastank put in yay!

But I broke one of the wires for the gas gauge in the process... I'll have to fix that later >_<.. also my truck now bogs for a second when I stomp on it.. I'm guessing this isnt normal? or is it? Could it be a dirty fuel filter?

And I got the lights for my lightbar put on and cleaned up.

And 2 of the little farts that kept me company last night while I was doing this

I have two more, those two's brother, and their mother :p
The 3 pups are a 3/4ths husky and 1/4th lab.
And Sibel, [their mother] Is pure 100% Alaskan Malamute husky. T'was nice not being totally alone while I spent the 9 hours doing this.. lol
Old 04-05-2012, 04:21 PM   #11
kurama49

Well guys, truck died 2 days ago... Changed the plugs today, added some gas and vroom! Has almost DOUBLE the power now! and runs so very smooth

Next on the list:
Carbourator
33"s
Glasspacks
Fix the 4x4
Body work
Paint [Should I paint it in satin black? To give it that evil sinister look...]
Old 04-10-2012, 10:56 PM   #12
kurama49

Well, I got newish tires for my truck.. 315/75/16 Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ's
... and you wont believe the price.. $80!!! My uncle had them sitting by his barn, so I asked him if I could buy them, he first said $200.. Then I said I only had $80, and he gave them to me for that :P, I got some more birthday money tucked away, so I'm going to buy some 16" toyota tacoma rims tomorrow. as well as the studs to put my Carb on.. I'm quite positive that one of the jets is plugged.. And I dont want to rebuild the carb. , But since the truck is down, I'm forced to drive my fathers old ass 98 Dodge caravan... The joys of being 17years old driving a mini-van to high school... It was dirty as can be, but I spent a few hours cleaning it up, since I figure I'll be driving it the next few days. I'll post pictures of the tires tomorrow!
Old 04-16-2012, 08:27 PM   #13
kurama49

I'll just leave these here...

Going to buy some new AC delco sparkplugs tomorrow, and I'm NOT going to cheap out this time! I'll get the best I can!, also going to get a new in carb fuel filter, New in line fuel filter, and a New air filter for my new air box. Slowly but surely its coming together!
Old 04-29-2012, 07:32 PM   #14
kurama49

Good news everyone!.. somewhat
Big blue now runs, and I can open him up without sputtering, I had a wrong opening on the carb blocked off. And now because of the bigger tires, I need to treat it like a Column shift manual.. The tranny likes to try and take off in 2nd, which with the small tires was ok, So now i just put it in 1st then move it to the 2nd position,then drive. I let the engine rev up a little bit higher, so it doesn't struggle when I put it in the next gear. I'm trying to find some 33"s or 32"s so their wont be so much of a load on the engine. I'm also going to buy some new plug wires, and a new rotor cap just to be safe. Then hopefully, It'll be good enough to drive everyday again. I'm also thinking on trying to put a NV3500 or NV4500 in it.. Would this be a very hard swap?... I can get all the parts i need in the junkyard as their all there.. I miss slamming gears like I used to in the nissan and ranger :P
Old 08-06-2012, 06:40 PM   #15
kurama49

Little update for ya's
New tires 33x12.50x15 $200
Cherry bomb glasspacks $0
Carb off a 400SBC $0
Crappy starter $0 [Need to fix solenoid]
Pics!

Also, getting the body work that needs to be done, done soon and repainted! what color do you guys think I should paint it?
Drab Olive [with Army style theme]
Gloss black
Or
Snow white?
Old 12-28-2012, 12:03 AM   #16
kurama49

hey guys its been a long time since I've updated! Anywho, little progress report. I bought a 350 TBI donor truck, 1987 K5 jimmy. its rough, but it has lots of good parts, Dana 44 front, 14 bolt rear, 4:10 gears posi front and rear, electric windows,locks, trucks been sitting since may, I put a battery in it, put some gas in the throttle body, turned the key and it fired first click! now thats chevy reliability! I got it for $400, transmissions blown up,and the tires and the lightbar dont go with it

the stepside is sitting in my backyard, awaiting yet ANOTHER carb, and its tires put back on.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:33 AM   #17
kwin

Man I love the wiring on that blazer! last time I saw that type of wiring on a vehicle it was on a 70's honda , It burned to the ground in front of one of the UPEI buildings in Charlottetown PEI about 25 years ago.

www.ramsaywinsor.com
kwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:07 PM   #18
kurama49

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwin View Post
Man I love the wiring on that blazer! last time I saw that type of wiring on a vehicle it was on a 70's honda , It burned to the ground in front of one of the UPEI buildings in Charlottetown PEI about 25 years ago.
lol, good thing I only bought it for the engine axles and interor.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:25 PM   #19
kurama49

OK guys, quick question. a few of my friends told me, that I cant use a in-line 15 psi fuel pump [which I've researched is the right psi?] And I cant use my brand new gas tank because I need a special kind of baffle so i need to buy another new tank? please help me with this because I'm gunna start buying parts soon!
Old 01-08-2013, 09:35 PM   #20
kurama49

Oh and also, what is y'know the whole process I need to do to switch my truck to tbi? Like, could someone make up a quick check list? so i know what to need/do so I dont mess up.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:45 PM   #21
canadian 4x4

If you are going to tbi then yes you need an 87 specific tank, it has baffles in it for the pump. which would also be in tank. that's the way its done factory, its possible it can be done another way though
Old 01-09-2013, 06:24 PM   #22
Zebb

What was their reason why a 15 psi pump will not work when you need a 15 psi pump?

What's going on with your carb?
Zebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:37 PM   #23
kurama49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebb View Post
What was their reason why a 15 psi pump will not work when you need a 15 psi pump?

What's going on with your carb?
No, they just said it wont work, And my truck seems to kill every carb I put on it, I'm just sick of it since i use the truck in the woods and such, and it doesent like big hills unless my foot is through the floor... plus I like the reliability and easy starting of tbi
Old 01-12-2013, 11:01 PM   #24
kurama49

Well, now the same friends that told me my current tank wont work are telling me the front and rear ends out of the jimmy wont fit? o_O because its a 87 and my truck is a 78 and because its got a turbo 350? This is confusing the hell out of me x.x
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-13-2013, 02:07 PM   #25
canadian 4x4

why wont they work? the 87 will have 10 bolts im not sure if your 78 will have a 10 or 12 bolt. but the should both use 1350 U joints, so you just need your drives shafts because the lengths are different from your swb to the blazer