The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-02-2022, 09:57 PM   #11
Boog
laying low

Re: What did you do to your truck today??

Well I received my Lisle pivot pin removal tool today and finished the job of tightening the four bolts down in the steering column. Ordered Saturday night and arrived today by post office. Regular mail too.
I advise anyone doing this job to watch some vids or take pictures or both. Can’t hurt. I found two of the four bolts were less than finger tight. I removed one at a time, cleaned and put a touch of Loctite on the ends of each and reinstalled. At least one video said you have to remove the upper end of the steering shaft to gain access to those four bolts but that’s not the case. As you can see I just moved that shaft over by hand to give plenty of room to access the bolts. The busy side of the inner column area is the left side of course with the turn signal switch and dimmer switch and ignition switch linkage. I will tell you to check things as you are reassembling. I did have to back up a couple of times to reset some pieces. So maybe these pics will help someone.
I bought a steering wheel lock plate removal tool and that Lisle pivot pin puller tool. About $26 total. It looks like you’re working on part of the Terminator or some other robot.
GM used this design column from the 80-90s in numerous vehicles but this is the first one I have ever owned with a loose column.
Attached Images

91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross

Last edited by Boog; 05-02-2022 at 10:05 PM.
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote