The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-16-2022, 02:23 PM   #601
special-K
Special Order

Re: What did you do to your truck today??

Ugh. I hope you get it figured out.

I replaced the wiper module. I knew it would be easy, yet it has needed fixed longer than I care to admit. I guess if I had no wipers at all it would have been fixed pronto. I can't wait till it rains now, and it's a beautiful April day... perfect. Damn sunshine!

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 02:55 PM   #602
Just call me Sean

I did the wiper module on my van a while back. Same module, but the motor is inside behind the dashboard above the steering column. That was fun.
Just call me Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 09:02 AM   #603
special-K
Special Order

No THAT would still be getting put off! I have the heat module to swap out and that's wouldn't seem as bad as up and under/behind the dash (which is where I hate to do work). It's a short reach on there... to the 2" tall area it is shoehorned into where the hand you need to use blocks your vision for the tedious task of removing and even more tedious task of installing those tiny screws. I think I'll get my neighbor's 6 year old to do it . I bought a 1/4" drive with 9" handle to see if that makes it easier, but have been putting it off... in anticipation of an aggravating experience. Maybe I'll try that today

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 04-17-2022, 02:33 PM   #604
Boog
laying low

I think I showed earlier the 1/4" ratchet with extendable handle I bought just to reach up in those tight places. Great idea but the extra thickness of the handle, well it didn't work. I ended up pushing a length of fuel hose on the handle of my normal size ratchet and I could still see a little bit of where I was trying to use it.
Yeah, I'd like to meet the designers at GM and 'splain some things to them.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 07:05 PM   #605
44th Miss Inf

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44th Miss Inf View Post
Went yesterday and helped my wife’s young nephew get an 88 running he just inherited. It has been sitting at least 5 years. Dropped tank and cleaned, reinstalled. Got it to fire off.

Plan is a new tank, sending unit and fuel pump to start. Then go thru the brakes/wheel bearings. I’m having to show him everything, as no one has ever taken time (his family is not mechanically inclined) but that is what we are supposed to do.

Then I have to teach him to drive it, as its a 350/5 speed RCSB truck.
We got the new tank and sending unit in. Still a few issues with running so I pulled the throttle body unit and brought home to clean and rebuild. Pulled the cap and found a good bit of corrosion. So a tune up is in order also.

Showed him how to check the pump and sending unit/gauge operation before installing in the tank, went over tbi removal, how it operates, etc., showed him the corrosion on the cap/rotor, and a few things while I had the chance. Said when his grandfather parked it (when he started his down turn) it needed brakes, so told him I’d go over/help him with that.

Was at one of the chain part stores Sunday evening when a younger guy I know came in and asked if I’d rebuild a motor for him. Told him, I’d show him how. At that, one of the parts counter guys and his buddy who was in there talking to him came over and asked if I would show them also. Told them we’d all get together and I’d go over it with them
44th Miss Inf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 06:13 PM   #606
Just call me Sean

The serpentine belt broke on my way to work today, maybe 5 miles from home. My wife picked me up to run me to the parts store. AutoZone didn't have it, where I go to first. O'Reillys gave me the one that it called for, but it was too short. Had to go back and exchange it, they gave me a size that wasn't listed on the AutoZone app, but it fit. Two inches longer than the one that was supposed to fit, $10 more for the extra two inches.
Old 04-27-2022, 10:12 AM   #607
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44th Miss Inf View Post
We got the new tank and sending unit in. Still a few issues with running so I pulled the throttle body unit and brought home to clean and rebuild. Pulled the cap and found a good bit of corrosion. So a tune up is in order also.

Showed him how to check the pump and sending unit/gauge operation before installing in the tank, went over tbi removal, how it operates, etc., showed him the corrosion on the cap/rotor, and a few things while I had the chance. Said when his grandfather parked it (when he started his down turn) it needed brakes, so told him I’d go over/help him with that.

Was at one of the chain part stores Sunday evening when a younger guy I know came in and asked if I’d rebuild a motor for him. Told him, I’d show him how. At that, one of the parts counter guys and his buddy who was in there talking to him came over and asked if I would show them also. Told them we’d all get together and I’d go over it with them
That's a really great thing right there. I like it when younger folks show interest in this. I enjoy sharing what I know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just call me Sean View Post
The serpentine belt broke on my way to work today, maybe 5 miles from home. My wife picked me up to run me to the parts store. AutoZone didn't have it, where I go to first. O'Reillys gave me the one that it called for, but it was too short. Had to go back and exchange it, they gave me a size that wasn't listed on the AutoZone app, but it fit. Two inches longer than the one that was supposed to fit, $10 more for the extra two inches.
Aggravation on top of aggravation.

Tim

Old 04-28-2022, 07:33 PM   #608
Just call me Sean

Got a flat today. Here's a rare picture of the truck without the spare on the front.
Attached Images

Old 04-29-2022, 08:38 AM   #609
special-K
Special Order

Ohhh... It's a GMC! . Flat tires always suck.

Last November I go to Lowe's. This store has no straight out front parking. They put the "pro" spaces along the side of the store, one row. I back in to go pay for cinder blocks, pull under the canopy to load. I'm about half loaded and a man with his son walks by, lets me know my left rear tire is low. I look and it is flat-ass-flat. Great! 1000# of block loaded up and I have to change a tire. Damn lazy sloppy contractor dropping screw out of their trucks. I hope they give themselves plenty of flats and not just everyone else.

Shoot! I didn't have anything to pop a hubcap off and I have no idea how much air is in my spare. Felt hard but with hauling the weight, tire is old, and no tool to remove hubcap... as well as I'd rather use a floor jack and star wrench than the factory gear, I called on my son to run those things up, including a tire inflator. That got me home.

I knew it was time for new tires, but had to buy some time. Well, that flat tire had a cut across the treads and not good enough to go back on the truck. That's how I came to be running the tires off my '72 that rubbed on the front, bad. I put the two best old tires on the front once it appeared new tires would have to wait longer. My level of appreciation for the new set I finally was able to buy was greatly increased by the deprivation, the length of time, the unknowing, then finally the wait for having the wheels sandblasted and painted. Rags to riches! Getting new tires and reconditioning the wheels has taken a low point in last year and turned it into a major event for this year for me! I really do need to get out and do more things

Tim

Old 04-29-2022, 09:28 AM   #610
Just call me Sean

I carry that stuff in the trailer, except for an inflater. I have a tank full of air in the compressor. The factory jack is missing. I'm also now out of spares, both trucks and the van. So I took a wheel off the van for today just in case.
Old 04-29-2022, 08:06 PM   #611
Just call me Sean

I went to pick up a couple tires. Apparently the Goodyear Wranglers I use on my trucks and van are discontinued. So I guess this will be my new tire brand. They only had one, but ordered me another that I'll pick up tomorrow. I guess the family truck, the 99, will get the new tires. They all need just one but now I have to switch around tires so two of them will still have matching tires.
Attached Images

Old 04-29-2022, 08:49 PM   #612
special-K
Special Order

Huh, no more standard Wranglers, ey? Too sensible I guess. I've bought those before in the same size you use, I think, 235/75-15. Good all around tire at a good price.

I had all the tools out of the truck because I was working for someone using their tools. Having a compressor in the truck has saved me many times. I carry a plug kit for real emergencies. I normally like to use a spare and have the tire repaired at a tire shop where they boot it. I remember the same guy fixed the last flat on that set of tires. Maybe the same tire. It was last summer and I remember we were agreeing I was due for new tires. I told him "Definitely before winter" I've had them about a month now

Tim

Old 04-29-2022, 10:56 PM   #613
Just call me Sean

I was searching online trying to figure out if the tires really were discontinued or just they weren't going to carry them anymore. The guy told me in several different terms, discontinued, obsolete, phased out, whatever. I don't much feel like running all around trying to find a place that stocks them and will sell them loose. They want to mount them too, and when I tell them they can mount them for free because I don't want them to they say no. I never thought it would be so difficult to buy a damn tire. What's it going on? I'm making a tire swing sell me the damn tire.

I have plugs and patches, I do the patches myself. There's very little I don't do myself.

The tire is on the 99. About to store the spare under the bed.
Old 04-30-2022, 08:20 AM   #614
special-K
Special Order

I use this tire shop because it's so great. Out in the country back in the woods. The owner is younger (than me) and the guys working there are his age, his buddies I think. They've all worked there forever and they are a no BS full service tire repair shop. The dump truck guys, contractors, and farmers all know about the place. I don't have a tire machine and don't like to break down 16" truck tires, they are tough. They'll dismount tires for me for free and when they fix a flat they study the tire (if it's old) to determine how it is surviving. They always break down, grind, and boot the tire and charge less than anywhere else. I've bought farm tractor tires there, too, and had them serviced. I had a set sent out for foam fill due to mysterious chronic flat issues. I had slow leak in a 35" tire on a 9.75" aluminum slot wheel years ago. I had another tire shop repair it and it still kept leaking down. I think I took it back twice, still leaked. I took it to this good shop and they sprayed soapy water on the wheel. It turned out air was seeping through the wheel itself. They didn't even charge me. I took the wheel to an alloy wheel repair business and they were able to fix the wheel.

What I'm doing to my truck today is change the oil, top everything else off, and head on down to kayak a stretch of the Shenandoah River. I'm going with four others, so the suburban will be the shuttle craft back up the river to everyone's vehicles

Tim

Old 04-30-2022, 11:17 AM   #615
Just call me Sean

Cool, I didn't think of that. Rivers don't flow in a circle. Have to get back somehow.
Old 04-30-2022, 03:16 PM   #616
Boog
laying low

I've been putting off tightening up the upper steering column in my 91. It has gotten annoying now. Whenever I shift to park or use the turn signal the whole column collar turns a bit. Well, I have mostly ran out of things to take care of on it so today I said today's the day. I dug into it and got down to removing two pivot pins so I can get the inside structure out of the way to get to those 4 bolts that have worked loose. It was time to buy some new sockets as well. Outside torx sockets just to fit those 4 bolts, and some Loctite. And wouldn't you know it, it takes a specialty tool to pull those pins out. Lisle makes it and it's reasonably priced but no one in town has it. And quicker than I can give my wife the part number she has one coming on Monday. Amazon is her go to source for most things now days. And today is Saturday, yard work is done, so I don't mind. I believe I'll have a cold snack

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c...le+19940&pos=0

Old 04-30-2022, 06:41 PM   #617
Just call me Sean

The two new tires are on the back of the 99, the good Wrangler from the 99 is on the 93, and the spare is back on the van.
Attached Images

Old 05-01-2022, 08:46 AM   #618
hatzie

Quote:
I was searching online trying to figure out if the tires really were discontinued or just they weren't going to carry them anymore. The guy told me in several different terms, discontinued, obsolete, phased out, whatever. I don't much feel like running all around trying to find a place that stocks them and will sell them loose. They want to mount them too, and when I tell them they can mount them for free because I don't want them to they say no. I never thought it would be so difficult to buy a damn tire. What's it going on? I'm making a tire swing sell me the damn tire.

I have plugs and patches, I do the patches myself. There's very little I don't do myself.

The tire is on the 99. About to store the spare under the bed.
Geez. They won't sell the tire loose? What's the rationale for that?
1972 Ford F250 FE390, NP435/NP205 SOLD
1976 Chevy K20, 6.5L, NV4500/NP208 SOLD
1986 M1008 CUCV SOLD
2000 GMC C2500, TD6.5L, NV4500
2005 Chevy Silverado LS 2500HD 6.0L 4L80E/NP263
2009 Impala SS LS4 V8

RTFM... GM Parts Books, GM Schematics, GM service manuals, and GM training materials...Please include at least the year and model in your threads. It'll be easier to answer your questions.
And please let us know if and how your repairs were successful.
hatzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 12:39 PM   #619
Just call me Sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
I've been putting off tightening up the upper steering column in my 91. It has gotten annoying now. Whenever I shift to park or use the turn signal the whole column collar turns a bit. Well, I have mostly ran out of things to take care of on it so today I said today's the day. I dug into it and got down to removing two pivot pins so I can get the inside structure out of the way to get to those 4 bolts that have worked loose. It was time to buy some new sockets as well. Outside torx sockets just to fit those 4 bolts, and some Loctite. And wouldn't you know it, it takes a specialty tool to pull those pins out. Lisle makes it and it's reasonably priced but no one in town has it. And quicker than I can give my wife the part number she has one coming on Monday. Amazon is her go to source for most things now days. And today is Saturday, yard work is done, so I don't mind. I believe I'll have a cold snack

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c...le+19940&pos=0
I guess the truck is down for the weekend? I've never had a column that far apart. Any pictures?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatzie View Post
Geez. They won't sell the tire loose? What's the rationale for that?
Most just say "liability reasons". When the shop I always bought from said it to me first I had them explain more. People installing tires on vehicles they aren't rated for then suing when they fail. People injuring themselves installing them and suing. Mostly reasons that revolve around getting sued. I said I would sign a waiver but still no. You know I could sue you for not selling me tires too right? That's the reward I get for helping keep your store open instead of ordering online and saving money.
Old 05-01-2022, 05:44 PM   #620
hatzie

Quote:
Most just say "liability reasons". When the shop I always bought from said it to me first I had them explain more. People installing tires on vehicles they aren't rated for then suing when they fail. People injuring themselves installing them and suing. Mostly reasons that revolve around getting sued. I said I would sign a waiver but still no. You know I could sue you for not selling me tires too right? That's the reward I get for helping keep your store open instead of ordering online and saving money.
This is a symptom of the compulsive obsessive petty tyrants in the latest generations. It's pretty sick and twisted that their world will come to an end if they can't tell us how to use the parts we purchase after we walk out the door with them.
Any judge that doesn't throw that kind of frivolous crap out of his courtroom is part of the problem. If I buy gasoline in a can, pour it on a fire, and turn myself into a human torch then I'm an idiot. My death or maiming is not the fault of the gas can manufacturer or the filling station. If I spray ether into the truck tire on a split rim and blow the lock ring off it and into my head it's my own darn fault.
I've mounted more tires by hand, up to and including tractor tires taller than my 6'5" frame, in the last 45 years than the teenage goons they have running the tire machines.
1986 M1008 CUCV SOLD
2009 Impala SS LS4 V8

RTFM... GM Parts Books, GM Schematics, GM service manuals, and GM training materials...Please include at least the year and model in your threads. It'll be easier to answer your questions.
Old 05-02-2022, 08:35 AM   #621
special-K
Special Order

It's too many lawyers syndrome. Ridiculous. By this warped logic the tire store should be liable for what happens after they mount the tire. I never would have run into that tree if they hadn't mounted that tire. Makes you wonder how the online tire sites manage to sell a zillion loose tires to anyone with internet without a lawsuit.

A few of us this weekend ended up having the same conversation about the wranglers being discontinued. I noticed my brother-in-law is running those on their Toyota pickup, and he used to always run Michelins. So they take a well known tire with a good reputation out of production.

Tim

Old 05-02-2022, 10:52 AM   #622
Boog
laying low

Quote:
I guess the truck is down for the weekend? I've never had a column that far apart. Any pictures?

Yeah, it ain't going anywhere right now. And all over a $10 tool.
This is the 1st time for me going that far into a late model column too. There are numerous videos out there and I've watched a couple so I dove right in. It is tight in there. I did buy that locking plate removal tool also. All these many years and I've never owned one. I used to do it the hard way. These two tools I'll likely never use again.
Your experience with tire stores are nothing like around here. I just recently ordered a set of tires and took my rims up there to get the tires mounted. Mounted, balanced and loaded in the back of my truck. No questions asked. The tire tech did snap a selfie of him posing beside my '91. He has a 91 sportside too.

Old 05-02-2022, 11:15 AM   #623
special-K
Special Order

I think he meant sell just the tire unmounted on wheel, to be mounted elsewhere. I've never heard of that either. I've been told by a shop that they don't do any leak repairs for liability reasons. I believe my jaw dropped. Then I said, "That incompetent, ey?" before leaving. wudeverrr...

Tim

Old 05-02-2022, 11:21 AM   #624
hatzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
It's too many lawyers syndrome. Ridiculous. By this warped logic the tire store should be liable for what happens after they mount the tire. I never would have run into that tree if they hadn't mounted that tire. Makes you wonder how the online tire sites manage to sell a zillion loose tires to anyone with internet without a lawsuit.

A few of us this weekend ended up having the same conversation about the wranglers being discontinued. I noticed my brother-in-law is running those on their Toyota pickup, and he used to always run Michelins. So they take a well known tire with a good reputation out of production.
Nokian and Falken tires are pretty decent. Have Nokians on my girlfriends 05 Toyota Tundra and ran new Falkens on a 2001 Volvo V70 AWD wagon I bought with a bad transmission & brakes as a flip car. good all weather traction on both. The Nokians were as good on winter roads as my Bridgestone Blizzaks back in the 1990's.

I've never had good luck with Goodyear tires. Never ran a set or Wranglers on anything so I can't speak about them. They might be great tires.
I've had several sets of Goodyear tires on used car purchases. Wet weather traction was dismal.
My last experience was the set of Goodyear Eagles my '09 Impala SS came with from GM. Darn poor wet weather traction right from the get go. I have four Michelin Pilot A3 tires on it now.
1986 M1008 CUCV SOLD
2009 Impala SS LS4 V8

Last edited by hatzie; 05-02-2022 at 11:28 AM.
Old 05-02-2022, 08:21 PM   #625
Just call me Sean

Yes, just the tire out the door with no mounting or balancing. The Goodyears look more like an all terrain although they do break loose easy in the rain. The General Grabbers look more like a street tire, we'll see how they do.

So the exhaust donuts blew out on the 93 today, I think that thing in the road I hit helped make it happen. The side that isn't leaking as bad I can see chunks of the donut sticking out. The other side looks like it all came out because the downpipe is jammed against the exhaust manifold and it's leaking like crazy. I've had it all apart recently but most likely some of the bolts will break anyways. Right now the S10 is on the only slab I have to work on and I can't move it because I pulled the axles. So I'll be taking the 99 for work the rest of the week and the wife will have to use the van if she needs to go somewhere. I'm okay with that, the 99 is the only one with AC.
Attached Images