The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-06-2011, 07:47 PM   #1
gulledge4621

Arrow Possible New Project for a New Kid

Found this online the other day and it seemed to be a completely ideal started truck to build into a mean head turner. Not looking for it to be anything for show, just a bit lower, reliable, and a project to enjoy.

http://winstonsalem.craigslist.org/cto/2580900676.html

Called the owner who was nice fella who informed me of the 'restoring' necessary for it to be a better vehicle. Floor boards would need to be replaced due to rust of course, not a problem in my book. I know people with welders and metal working skills. The problems arose with the engine and a 'knocking' sound which he deduced through his knowledge of his truck to be a bad valve or something of the sorts.

Essentially I think the best way to sum it up and ask for an opinion from the gurus here on this wonderful forum to whether this is a project worth undertaking considering my condition as a college attending 20 yr old. My motives say yes, but Im completely unexperienced in the realm of old trucks or vehicles in general.

All input is appreciated, and yes, I do know the search button will be my best friend on a forum as info packed as this.
gulledge4621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:25 PM   #2
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Re: Possible New Project for a New Kid

Knowing what I know now after almost 50 years of this stuff. I would by that truck in a minute even if I didn't have time to do it for a few years. It looks good and its priced right. Even if you had to put it in storage and collect parts and knowledge over the coarse of 3 -4 years you'll be glad you did. On the off hand that you lose interest in 3 years you could still sell it for a few grand more than you paid as long as its not a basket case by then. There is nothing nicer than building a well planned build and be able to be proud of what you did on your first time round.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:11 PM   #3
tmoble

looks pretty complete to me. iy's a lot easier to fix up stuff you have than search for, buy and fix stuff you don't.

be aware, valve noises usually sound like a tapping, usually fixed with an adjustment.

knocking type noises often signify internal engine problems, not some you adjust and get rid of.

That's a pretty attractive price on that truck, IMO, just seeing the pics.
tmoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:01 AM   #4
gulledge4621

yeah I was a little confused when he said it was a knocking and valve, i might not be too knowledge filled about trucks of this era but the price point is driving me.

if anything a swap could always be in order? ha.
i honestly am not even sure which route to go with power plant wise for this possible project.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:46 AM   #5
Handfull 54

I agree with the other responces. Buy the truck and then get the parts you need over time. Go to some truck shows and see what others have done. You can also get a bunch of catalogs and see what is available and also get further ideas. There is a lot of help available right here on this site, so go for it.

Dave
Handfull 54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 03:00 PM   #6
meter swinger

For that price i'd unbolt that stivebolt an let him keep it, seriously though being east coast if that thing aint ate up with rust its a steal.
Posted via Mobile Device
meter swinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:22 PM   #7
gulledge4621

the only rust he said was present was floorboards and cab corners, but the extent? who knows? there werent too many specifics disclosed in the brief phone call but its definitely looking better and better as the week passes
Old 09-08-2011, 12:07 PM   #8
solidaxel

Go look and touch, you will know more by then.
Look at everything below the frame front to back.
The knock does NOT sound good, earily engines did have some problems with oiling of internal parts.
Price is right if it will drive, but not too far!
53 TuTone Extended Cab 350 4-Spd 3:08 (SOLD)
53 Chevy Moldy pearl green ZZ-4 4L60E 9" 3:25
55 GMC 1st Black Mll (ZZ4) ZZ6 TKO 600 5 sp 3:73
62 Solidaxle Corvette Roman Red (327
340hp 4spd 3:36) C4 & C5 suspension tube chassis
LS 3 4L70E
65 Corvette Coupe 327 350hp 4spd 4:11
78 Black Silverado SWB (350/350) 5.3 & 4L60E 3:42
2000 S-Type 3.0 (wife cruiser)
2003 GMC SCSB 5.3 4L60E 3:42
solidaxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 05:41 PM   #9
gulledge4621

I know that the words "easy" and "engine sawp" dont really reside well together, but is there a swap that is relatively easy ? and lets not forget most importantly, reliable?
Old 09-08-2011, 06:16 PM   #10
coralhead

I'd swap it out for a later 50's 235 and rebuild it. If the engine is not reliable then you have nothing but driveway art. I feel that id how I ended up with my 50 3/4 ton. The guy did a lot of body work, brake work and put in a replacement 235 (1959) motor but only changed the gaskets and cleaned up the engine, new clutch pressure plate, and waterpump. When I test drove the truck it ran but could tell the engine needed major work. I think he got discouraged and just sold it. I was the recipient of all his nickle and dimeing and got a decent truck for the money. I rebuilt the motor ($1300) including head and crank work.
coralhead is offline   Reply With Quote