The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-06-2022, 12:10 AM   #1
gschroeder

Windshield Washer Pump

I am finishing up a full restoration on a 1970 CST10, and the washer pump isn't pumping water. The pump is working because when I push the washer button I hear the thud, and clicking nose for 5-10 seconds. I did the "washer pump repair kit" from LMC Truck, and replaced all the rubber lines, but apparently something else is wrong. I did find some past posts on this topic, and I will try to manually prime the system with water and see if that works. If that does not work, does that mean I should go ahead and replace the pump? I know these factory pumps are not the best, but I really do not want to put an aftermarket pump on it. Thank you for your help. Thank you
gschroeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 12:26 AM   #2
burb71

Re: Windshield Washer Pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by gschroeder View Post
I am finishing up a full restoration on a 1970 CST10, and the washer pump isn't pumping water. The pump is working because when I push the washer button I hear the thud, and clicking nose for 5-10 seconds. I did the "washer pump repair kit" from LMC Truck, and replaced all the rubber lines, but apparently something else is wrong. I did find some past posts on this topic, and I will try to manually prime the system with water and see if that works. If that does not work, does that mean I should go ahead and replace the pump? I know these factory pumps are not the best, but I really do not want to put an aftermarket pump on it. Thank you for your help. Thank you
I just put a new Pump & Motor on mine, I primed it now it squirts like a stud.
But I must have hooked up the motor wrong or something, its not wiping on slow or fast, it only wipes the 3 or 4 times when it squirts and go's back off.

Ive heard you need to keep the reservoir jug full and use the pump every once & awhile, or the rubber diaphragm in the the pump will dry & crack from the engine heat if no fluid is in it. Then it won't be able to pump fluid all over again.

Last edited by burb71; 03-06-2022 at 12:38 AM.
burb71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 02:57 AM   #3
Accelo

Re: Windshield Washer Pump

I use what looks like a very large syringe to prime the system. You could also add enough hose so you can get the reservoir higher than the pump. Typically that's all that is needed to get them going.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote