The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-27-2015, 11:11 AM   #1
18tahoe

Steering question and advice

Just finished a 55 2nd series truck with straight axle and Toyota power steering. Rebuilt the front end so everything is good there, the problem is that the truck seems to wonder a lot, not pull like a bump problem. I had the front end checked and right now there is 4 degrees of caster, should I get this to 6 degrees. The shop said they set the front tires straight up with no toe, would some toe help this problem. I want to make the truck a little more stable so any advice and suggestions would help. Thank You
18tahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 11:33 AM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Steering question and advice

I'd think that you need around 1/8 inch toe in. I've never seen a rear wheel drive vehicle that was street driven that didn't need some toe in although different rigs react to the amount you put in differently.

Scroll down to page 104 the factory calls for .132 to .219 toe in on a 55 second series 3100 with 3 degrees caster at designed weight and 5 degrees at curb weight meaning that ready to drive it should have closer to 5 degrees with camber I can't decode. https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/doc...2nd-Series.pdf

When I was aligning front ends for a living I always started with the factory specs for a certain vehicle and then tweaked the settings if I needed to go get it to drive down the road right
I had my test drive loop that I test drove every rig I aligned in the dealership I worked in to make sure that they tracked straight and the steering wheel was centered. That reduced come backs on alignments to almost 0 as I seldom had a customer not like the way a rig drove.

A bit more caster is sometimes desirable for tracking at high speeds but can be a royal pain at real low speeds as you are fighting the extra caster when you turn the steering wheel.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.

Last edited by mr48chev; 03-27-2015 at 11:39 AM.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 12:28 PM   #3
18tahoe

Re: Steering question and advice

So you think less caster and some toe in may help. Thanks
18tahoe is offline   Reply With Quote