The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-30-2013, 05:14 PM   #1
grs

Master Cylinder

What duel master cylinder wile work in the power brake booster on my 1964. The single line in mine just won't do. It is too dangerous.
Attached Images

grs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 06:25 PM   #2
luvbowties

Smile Re: Master Cylinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by grs View Post
What duel master cylinder wile work in the power brake booster on my 1964. The single line in mine just won't do. It is too dangerous.
Buy this one from O'Reilly A/P with lifetime warranty: Cardone®, Remanufactured - Brake Master Cylinder, Part # 10-1329. Costs about $15 in our area. I agree with the safety issue--too cheap an upgrade to pass it by.
Sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 06:53 PM   #3
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Re: Master Cylinder

With a big motor like that I would agree on a single line being to dangerous! LOL!
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 11:45 PM   #4
jtrichard

GRS love the alternator stabilizer ZIP TIES LOL
jtrichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 11:51 AM   #5
grs

Thanks everyone. The zip ties were used because the alternator bolt broke. The ties held it in place so I could drive it home. I drove it for about 6 hours then the belt broke. I had a truck repair company put my new belt on. I was at a road side stop. It was sunday so I could not get the broke bolt out. I drove another 2 hours home. I am just 67 years old. When I grow up I will stop fooling with these old trucks.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:53 AM   #6
grs

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvbowties View Post
Buy this one from O'Reilly A/P with lifetime warranty: Cardone®, Remanufactured - Brake Master Cylinder, Part # 10-1329. Costs about $15 in our area. I agree with the safety issue--too cheap an upgrade to pass it by.
Sam
Will this work on the 64 PB booster?
Old 12-31-2013, 12:30 PM   #7
Chevy Fleetside

When it comes to brakes. I like to buy new not remanufactured. Just my preference.

65 Short Fleetside BBC
65 Long Fleetside 283 3 on the tree for now.
my build thread http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=259536
Chevy Fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 01:30 PM   #8
61K10

funny---yes safety is a factor always. I'm almost as old as grs and i have owned many single line master cyl cars/trucks in my life and never had a brake or cyl problem. thought about up-grading on my 61 but changed my mind, going to be stock.
Attached Images

my build is------------61K10 build
61K10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 01:58 PM   #9
grs

I had a 66 with a duel master. The front cyl. leaked. I still had rear brakes. I always convert mine.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:24 PM   #10
RANDY COX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61K10 View Post
funny---yes safety is a factor always. I'm almost as old as grs and i have owned many single line master cyl cars/trucks in my life and never had a brake or cyl problem. thought about up-grading on my 61 but changed my mind, going to be stock.
I've had many that was one line also, But there was this one time me and the Family were out in my 66 SS-Impala had came home to pick up some keys and when we went backwards down the drive way the brake pedal went all the way to the floor, talk about scary but we survived and so did the car...the bracket that held the exhaust had came loose and burnt a hole in the rubber line near the differential.. Hey 61K10 that booster looks mighty familiar, There was one of those a 41 1 ton and 1/2 that I used to have it worked great..
Old 12-31-2013, 09:15 PM   #11
truckeroy

Back in the early 70's I went to test drive a friends 65 swb fleetside. He used it as a daily driver. We were in front of his house and I got behind the wheel and pushed in the clutch and started it. After it started, I pushed on the brake pedal. It all of a sudden went to the floor. We both looked at each other and got out. There was a puddle of brake fluid on the ground just below the door. The brake line had rusted through. We were lucky it did it before we took off for a test drive. He fixed it and the next day I bought the truck. That was my lesson on fruit jar master cylinders.

Fast forward to now. I have a 65 swb stepside and after reading in this forum, I bought a early 80's booster - Cardone# 54-71069. While the info was correct, it did bolt up to the two mc bolt holes, if you want more support you will have to drill more holes. (which it did) I should have bought the adapter from Captainfab. Next I bought mc from a 1969-70 Buick/Pontiac Cardone#10-1363. I has the short pin sticking out for a power brake setup. I had trouble getting any pedal, so I rebuilt the rear brakes because the were all messed up, but I still had low pedal. Then I checked the booster rod to mc bore. There was too much distance beween the two by over an 1/8 inch. I made a new rod using the unthreaded part of a 3/8 bolt (I think) because the rod is less than a 3/8 dia. barstock. I still don't have the amount of pedal I want, but I have not looked at the front brakes yet. They may be installed backwards and have parts loose like the rear ones did. What does this long winded tale mean? When you mix and match be careful and don't assume when you take something apart to repair, that what was done before is the correct pattern to follow. Get a manual or look for pictures and advice on this website. Roy.
2005 GMC 1/2T short bed
truckeroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 03:02 AM   #12
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Yes that master will bolt up and it should have the deep hole in the back of the piston to accomodate the long intermediate pushrod. That master is for the '67-'70 trucks, either manual or power brakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grs View Post
Will this work on the 64 PB booster?
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote