The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-03-2014, 01:37 AM   #1
Monte's62

62 torsion rod question

New member here. Been lurking for about a year since my cousin told me about the website. Lot of nice information and some sweet trucks. I have a 62, bought this summer and I'm trying to get things bought and planned out for the build. I think I really want to keep the torsion bars if I can get the front down about 4 inches and keep a descent ride. I also want to convert to 5 lug and discs. I know I can change out the entire crossmember or buy a conversion kit. My question is this. Since I want to lower and will need drop spindles anyway would I be better off to go one way or the other. I can get a front crossmember for about $100 plus about $250 for the spindles, or around $500 for the conversion kit. Help me out guys. I know someone here knows what's best. Also I do wonder why do most guys switch over to front springs verses the torsion rods?
Monte's62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 02:19 AM   #2
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: 62 torsion rod question

Welcome to the forum.

The torsion bar suspension is actually superior in some respects to the later coil spring replacement design. The reason very few owners stay with the original suspension on modified trucks is due to cost, and limited support in the aftermarket.

Almost everything suspension interchanges from 63-72. 60-62 is all by itself. Replacement parts like ball joints and steering parts can cost up to ten times as much compared to 63 and up pieces.

The torsion bars can interfere with long tube headers, and the convertible/perimeter frame under the 60-62 is more troublesome for routing exhaust, etc compared to the simple ladder frame of the 63-66. There are a few new lowering spindle parts and brake kits for the 60-62 chassis, but almost no other aftermarket support. Most people update to the later chassis parts simply because it’s easy and cheap. I switched to a 75 front suspension many years ago mainly because the import ball bearings for the front wheels kept failing at great expense. Had I known I could have used 62 hubs which are stock with tapered roller bearings, I may have considered leaving the T-Bars in place.

If you want to convert this thread may help:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=366828

And this thread deals with engine and transmission mounts:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=369663

You can drop the front end by releasing tension on the torsion bars, but there’s a limit. The farther the drop, the more the adjusting arms point toward the ground. Too much drop and they will become a road hazard.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:28 AM   #3
Monte's62

Thanks markeb. I appreciate the info. You make a good point about the exhaust. I have thought about the x frame being a problem, but I really haven't thought about the torsion rods being an issue with exhaust.
Also can you still get ball joints that last for the 62 trucks. I've seen prices from reasonable ($25) to really high ($125). As you mentioned the parts do seem to be a lot higher for the 60-62 trucks, but where can I get these parts that last? I'm sure the $25 ball joints will not, but can I get a normal life out of the $125 ball joints.
Anyone have an answer that has tried these?
Monte's62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:44 AM   #4
60-66

Mark, Is it possible to remove the arm and change the index of it or does that change it too much ? I ask because my brother is going to do this same thing on his 1961 Chevy. Ive never done it but have seen a few trucks on here lowered with torsion bars.
WANTED :1964-1966 PANEL TRUCK
60-66 is offline   Reply With Quote