The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-22-2015, 02:24 PM   #1
Tylerz181500

5.3L swap question

i read this thread and it mentions that he just plopped the dang thing in with no modded motor mount, just using factory stuff? is that even possible? http://www.hotrodlane.cc/PDFFILES/mr...ls%20truck.pdf

and as far as harnesses go, ive looked into pacific fab and ls1harnesses.com, anyone have any other suggestions for a new harness? i can redo a stock one but id rather not.

also doesnt ls require vss? so id have to tap my np205 for vss signal right? i was gonna try to keep the th350/205 for now unless i can find a good deal on a 5.3/80e and adpater the 205 to it.

Lastly, anyone know the measurememnt between frame rails off hand for a 4x4 72? i guess i could google 72 blazer tank dimensions, my buddies parting out his 93 yukon i was gonna try to snatch the tank and adapt it and put a supporting fuel pump for the LS in it.
Tylerz181500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 03:58 PM   #2
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Re: 5.3L swap question

If the swap-into vehicle had an SBC, you can use the adapter plates and set the LS engine on top of those mounts (but if you don't use adapters, then you need a different mount).

There are a LOT of companies doing harness work, and members here have used most of them. I had mine done by FuelInjectionConnection.

Yes, LS does want a VSS sensor (iss and vss for a 4l80e)...but it doesn't necessarily "need" one. with that being said, a ton of folks do still use the old tranny. There are a few ways to do it...some guys will just flash to a manual trans tune and deal with not having VSS. The older trannies don't require input from the ECM so the trans won't know the difference.

You won't find many 5.3/80e combo's as the 80e was way more common in 2500+ HD series trucks, most of which would have the 6.0

They do exist occasionally tho.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 04:15 PM   #3
Tylerz181500

Im not saying an exact combo but the junkyard round here any motor is 250 any trans is 125 so whatever i find i fine, i know i can run any of them behind one another.

as far as older tranny i know alot of my fbody buddys would run their 6.0s and a th400 behind it never inquired what they did for vss but a manual tune may be a great idea to compensate and then figure out lockup, or like i said automatically run an 80e and figure something else out.

ive been looking into lswiringharnesses.com as well thanks for the reassurance on that one.

as for the motor mounts, is it just a plate that bolts to the block and adds location of the pad style mount that came on these truck with v8's?
Old 02-22-2015, 04:23 PM   #4
MalibuSSwagon

Some 1 ton vans do have 4.8L/4L80E combos factory installed.
MalibuSSwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 05:43 PM   #5
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylerz181500 View Post
then figure out lockup

the th350/400 don't have a lockup. Don't bother with a 700r4

ive been looking into lswiringharnesses.com as well thanks for the reassurance on that one.

Glad I could help, tho I have no experience with that particular site.

as for the motor mounts, is it just a plate that bolts to the block and adds location of the pad style mount that came on these truck with v8's?

Pretty much. You just bolt the plate to the block, then bolt the plate to the SBC mounts which would already be in the old truck.
in bolt italic

Old 02-22-2015, 06:01 PM   #6
Tylerz181500

th350 has a cable of some sort that goes to throttle linkage though doesnt it?

dirty dingo carries the mounts right? also i havent done an ls swap in this thing yet, i helped with multiples in fbodys but as for computers i know i need it retuned, not a problem i have a guy for that, but are they all the same connectors on the harnesses?
Old 02-22-2015, 07:15 PM   #7
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

It has a kickdown cable.

Do you know what year motor you'll be using? A lot of this advice will depend on genIII or genIV. That will also help determine if you'll be using a DBW or DBC setup.

The kickdown can technically be left off, but its not best from a performance standpoint. If its DBC, there are brackets that exist to set it up with the kickdown. If its DBW, then there are further steps involved.

Dirty Dingo aren't adapters, they are the full-replacement mounts. They are a bit more expensive, but some guys like them a lot because of their flexibility in placement. (so Yes, to your question)

Again, the harness stuff depends on what you start with. Car and truck are different, Gen III and IV (and V) are all different.

The more info you feed me, the more answers I'll try to give ya.

Old 02-22-2015, 10:20 PM   #8
Tylerz181500

havent gotten one yet, im sticking with DBC. on the th350 does the kickdown have a plug or something i can put on it? i know on a 700 its a tv cable and it needs to be hooked up.

probably end up with an early truck motor 4.8/5.3/6.0 if i go 4.8 i know of a turbo kit my buddy has since those like to spin.

how are they full replacement mounts? i know they have a full crossmember you can buy but i wasnt all that interested in that.