The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-17-2021, 10:17 AM   #1
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Generator for home use - what are you using? What to look for?

Another post got me thinking about generators. I don’t have one and am curious what features/brands have worked for others. Seems like propane fueled has benefits.

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 10:23 AM   #2
67C10Step

Re: Generator for home use - what are you using? What to look for?

I have a Generac portable, don't recall the exact model number off hand but it's 5500 watt rated running. It's gasoline and pull start but I've only had to use it once (knock on wood) for the house in all the years I've owned it. I pull it out and run it frequently and it's time for me to dump all the fuel and fill with fresh.

Propane has the advantage of running very clean and if you have a bulk tank you would be set. I have considered that since I have a buried, 250 gallon propane tank.
2020 Toyota CH-R
2020 Acura MDX
67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 10:49 AM   #3
Thealien

Before jumping in you need to ask yourself a few questions first.

How often do you lose power in your area and how long does it usually stay out?

What are the bare essentials? Heat, refrigerator, well pump?

Do you want to be able to run your whole house just like the power never went out?

Fuel and fuel storage can become an issue depending how much you want to power the duration of the outage. I just went through a three day outage and we had not lost power overnight in 40 years? I survived on a small WEN brand 2000 W inverter generator. It kept the heat the refrigerator and a few lights and a TV on for three days nonstop. It only used about 3 gallons a day so in three days I used 9 gallons of gasoline. I do have a second one that I could parallel them together or use for additional loads if necessary. I don’t have any 220 V loads or these would not work. I like the fact that mine are portable and could be used elsewhere if needed.

If I lived somewhere with more frequent power outages and had needs like a well pump or 220 V power I would consider a whole house generator preferably natural gas or propane.
Thealien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 01:36 PM   #4
Big Kev-O

I have a dual fuel generator that will run off gas or propane. If I were to purchase another it would be a tri-power that can run off gas, propane or natural gas. If you have a natural gas line outside your house you wouldn't have to worry about refilling.
Old 11-17-2021, 02:00 PM   #5
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Good need-to-know questions above by Thealien. I looked into the same thing a couple years ago. Wife & I are in our 70s and we decided I didn't want to mess with cords and a small generator so we bit the bullet and got a whole-house Generac Guardian 13kW with an automatic transfer switch. No natural gas here so we are on propane. It has run a few times and the longest was (I think) around 6 to 8 hours.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 04:31 PM   #6
Sheepdip

We pondered a generator also, here in Kalifornia they are already behind on what's going to be needed for generation plants or dams, plus in 2025 Diablo Canyon the only operating Nuke left in Kalifornia goes down for dismantle.

Solar and wind only works when the sun shines and the wind blows, and neither one can stand alone as a power source.

We installed a 22K Generac at the house with automatic switch over, it's natural gas fired with propane backup if needed. It fires once a month automatically for about 5 minutes then goes back to sleep until when and if the power goes out.

Even with 2,200 watts you have to pick and choose what you want your standby power to in the event of a power failure.

Last edited by Sheepdip; 11-17-2021 at 11:57 PM.
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 09:56 PM   #7
kwmech

Currently have a 9500 cummins/onan dual fuel. Have to do the switching and plug in manually at the moment. Need repairs on my power pole I am waiting for before I install a whole house. Looking at a 14Kw Kohler propane. That should be plenty for our well, lights and refrigeration, Tv, just the 2 of us
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 10:28 PM   #8
Dead Parrot

First question: Do you want a generator that keeps you just like you were when on the grid or one that will let you get by at a lower level of power?

In my case, I opted for the lower level of power. I picked up a military surplus diesel generator. Small one at 3KW rated. Paid about $500 at the time. They are going much higher now. Went with diesel because I already had a diesel tractor and 200 gallon storage tank.

Lost power during the Oct 2020 ice storm. 3kw was enough to run the fridge, a small freezer, TV, computer, a small heater and either a microwave OR small convection oven. Power draw never got over 2.4 kw. Fuel use was less then the advertised 1/2 gallon per hour at full load.

If I hadn't already had the diesel tractor + storage tank, I would give serious consideration to a propane unit as propane keeps almost forever.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 10:48 PM   #9
davischevy

We install Generac natural gas or propane powered with automatic switch when a customer requires, but we almost never have power outages. The last one was probably 15 years ago.

I just brought a 10,000 watt Lincoln welder home and switched manually.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 11:16 PM   #10
57taskforce
All about them K’s

We had a 18KW generac propane standby that was auto switched when we lived in Virginia. It would run almost everything including the AC. between the hurricanes, a derecho, and the occasional big snow/ice storms, it got used a fair amount. It would come on automatically once a week on wednesdays at 12 noon and run for 15 minutes to keep everything lubed and running.

I’m setup to back feed a Honda generator into my dryer plug currently but haven’t had to use it.
‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0
57taskforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 12:40 AM   #11
'63GENIII

Thealien brings up some very good boxes to check.

For residential Ive installed 2000w cord and plug connected generators for people that frequently lost power to 300kw natural gas jobs that were underground with the exhaust coming up through a fake fence post which were only run during the weekly exercise cycle.. as well as everything in between.

I personally have an older Generac Industrial 10kw portable that was originally made for Craftsman in 1986. Its powered by a Tecumseh 20hp twin and I too am running around with bologna cords, big plugs and flipping switches in the rain. Ive thought about getting a natty gas or dual fuel permanent unit but its only been recently that we've lost power for more than a day at a time. Its not pretty, nor is it convenient, its loud and pisses off the neighbors until they want a cord thrown over the fence but it works very well. It runs the entire house as if the power never went out but it is right on the hairy edge of its capacity.

If I were in the market, which I may be when Im tired of lugging 200 lbs of cable around in the rain, these would be some of my considerations..

-Whole house transfer vs necessary loads
If I'm going through the trouble and expense of a built in deal, Id probably opt for the whole house.

-Fuel source
I haven't installed too many "permanent" dual fuel as in nat gas or propane to gasoline units. In fact, I haven't installed any. Not too sure Id want to schlep or store enough gas to try and keep up with a generator that is able to crank out 14 - 20kw.

-Enclosure / noise mitigation
If it runs with any frequency or length of time, its kind of tough to enjoy your house fully lit up when there's the equivalent of breaking in a small block going on outside for a day, two or a week at a time.

-Safe and automatic operation
This is kinda of a big one for me. When you lose power, its usually at the worst possible time to be doing the following;
1. motivating yourself enough drag the 250lb generator down the driveway to where the cord stretches to.
2. getting your head wrapped around performing the switching on your main panel (if you're connecting the house) so that you don't light up some poor unsuspecting guy on a pole a block or 2 away OR blow you and your generator into the next model year. NOTE: some panel manufactures now make "lockout" apparatus that keeps us do it yourselfers and us utility guys safe(r). This or a manual transfer switch is highly advised at a minimum and an NEC requirement in most locales.
3. lugging cords around in dark and or inclement conditions. Even if you don't connect to the main panel, you're running a handful of cords through the house to lamps, refrigerators and freezers and to phone chargers if you can find them in the dark.

I guess my point is this. When your power eventually does go out, its real nice to have it come back on without so much as getting off the couch. Its also real nice to not have it sound like someone parked a concrete pump going at full boogie outside your house. And just like it comes on automatically, when utility is restored, your generator waits for a few minutes to make sure utility is stable, transfers by itself then runs a cool down period. Easy as pie.

All of that safe, convenient, quiet and automatic stuff has a trade off in $$$ so need, capacity and pain ($$) threshold are all important considerations..

A lot of homes around here are moving to solar / battery backup deals. I haven't gotten into those yet. They are very interesting but man they are boo koo $$$. Different discussion for a different time

'63 k15 long step
Vortec 7.4 - L29 Blackbear tune, Five 0 Motorsports injectors, Chris Straub Cam, NV4500, divorced 205
52" front and 63" rear spring swap
D44 / 14bff - disc axles
Milemarker 9K and 10.5K hydraulic winches

63" & B52 Spring Install http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ng+swap+thread

NV4500 Reverse Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=reverse+build

L29 - 7.4 Vortec Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&highlight=L29
'63GENIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 12:46 AM   #12
Nima
Blue 67

We have a 7500 watt (forgot the brand!) duel fuel (gas and propane). We get our fair share of power outage in western WA. This year we have had 3 or 4 so far but they usually don't last more than few hours. I even don't start the generator for the first few hours of the outage unless it is at night time. We have had outage for 1-2 days every few years. I do have a battery backup system which I build myself based on motorhome house battery which keeps the internet modem going for hours if not days and we can charge our laptop or cell phones without generator.
1979 Camaro Z28: 5.3 vortec conversion with build TH350: drivable project, Fun to drive
1992 Camaro RS convertible (Z28 clone): 5.3 conversion with build T5: on going project
2005 Silverado 2500, 4x4 Duramax, original owner
Nima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 01:26 AM   #13
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Chris -- Good info there -- And it sounds like you have just about talked yourself into a whole house genset!

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Old 11-18-2021, 10:45 AM   #14
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Great info and anecdotes to ponder. We’ve rarely lost power for more than two hours thus far. It’s looking likely that we’ll remain put in this house for a while so a whole house unit may be the way to go.

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 05:57 PM   #15
BRL

What am I using?

A lawnmower to power up a couple 12 Volt batteries.

...and a 120 volt inverter.

...just in case it is needed.

BRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 11:34 PM   #16
'63GENIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
Chris -- Good info there -- And it sounds like you have just about talked yourself into a whole house genset!
Haha! No doubt Mike. Just gotta find some knucklehead to buy and install it.

'63 k15 long step
Vortec 7.4 - L29 Blackbear tune, Five 0 Motorsports injectors, Chris Straub Cam, NV4500, divorced 205
D44 / 14bff - disc axles

NV4500 Reverse Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=reverse+build

Old 11-19-2021, 11:52 PM   #17
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by '63GENIII View Post
Haha! No doubt Mike. Just gotta find some knucklehead to buy and install it.
Hmmmmmmm..... I wonder who that knucklehead might be?

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Old 11-20-2021, 08:11 AM   #18
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Quote:
I think I know who!

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 12:28 PM   #19
Just call me Sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRL View Post
What am I using?

That's cool. Looks like something I would make.
Just call me Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 06:02 PM   #20
kingsolver72
10/30/19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRL View Post
What am I using?

I don’t see any duct tape in the picture, so I’m pretty sure you’re not Red Green.
Old 11-21-2021, 07:54 PM   #21
'63GENIII

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 View Post
I think I know who!
Yeah, I think I know a guy....

'63 k15 long step
D44 / 14bff - disc axles

Old 11-26-2021, 04:31 PM   #22
Dirt's72

The lady's folks just bought a Duramax from home depot online. Runs on gas and propane. 9kw peak power. He seems happy with it.
Dirt's72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 08:13 PM   #23
burnin oil

Be careful with the natural gas reliance. Alot of utilities cut that off during natural disasters! Another thing on generacs is they buy parts in short runs so its hard telling what parts are inside. It may be a good idea to source a spare voltage regulator now. Both of those issues came straight from a Generac vendors course I went to several years ago.
burnin oil is offline   Reply With Quote