The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-27-2021, 10:40 AM   #1
Ziegelsteinfaust

Hughes torque converters

I want a broader range of people to ask so I pose the question here. My "trans" went out in my truck last week. With having my son, Thanksgiving, and work. I a have not been able to pull it out yet.

While covering a couple of over night shifts I have been aimlessly researching my issue. To get a better handle on where to look when I pull it out Sunday or Monday.

So as I was looking about how to remove the front pump. Which was my first choice for failure. A few people mentioned there torque converters were the cause, and it did not kill the trans.

So I looked up Summit where I got the converter, and it is a Hughes 2500rpm stall non lock up th700r4 version. People seem to say these are not the best converters, and honestly I knew that. Based on price alone. So no surprise here. Yet some people described the exact same symptoms I thought were a shift kit being set a little hard. So my new reasoning is my converter was the whole issue, and my trans is probably fine. Atleast for a year or two so I can save for the 4L80e my truck really should have.

So let's say my new hypothesis is correct. The converter is shot. And I won't be buying a another Hughes. I am stupid, but not crazy here.

So I have a choice of TCI who makes commercially available converters that fit what I have, and have done. Or I go let's say custom with Yank for now.

Since my trans died, and I have already bought another engine to swap a cam into. To bleed off some cylinder pressure to stop my pinging issues. I could have a 410hp 350, 440hp 350, 440hp 383, or alot closer to 500hp 383 then I have now. These are all educated guess based on the cam, and head selections I could hybrid togather. As I could either use stock heads which flow around 210 cfm or my AFR's which would be atleast 250+. Old heads, and info no longer available. Along with my Comp 306 cam. I may leave the 383 in place if the cylinder walls are good, and rebuild the heads. Will find out Monday for sure.

How do TCI converters stack up to let's say 500hp/475tq from a 383 sbc? Or is it I am close to or exceded the limit, and just go big here.

Also of the premium converter companies. Anyone have a favorite, and why? Other trans option is a 4L60E if TH700R4 has died.

What is the lead time on custom jobs right now if someone has a line on that.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 11:18 AM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: Hughes torque converters

I haven't had an automatic rebuilt for a long time. Back then I found a shop that sat back on a road with only the address posted out by the road. The guy could have been a NASA engineer. I think he had been before starting this business. This shop did the transmissions for all the leading shops including AAMCO. He also did all the racing transmissions for those in the know. With all his vast knowledge he doesn't send a rebuilt transmission out the door, with a guarantee, unless it's with a new torque convertor. Not only do they get contaminated by a trans failure, he said they are usually the cause of the failure. I'm no transmission tech so I've gone by this ever since. No matter what you discover failed I'd be going for a quality torque convertor. I can't make any recommendations since I haven't purchases one in so long

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 11:38 AM   #3
Rickysnickers

Like Special K, I'm no transmission expert by any stretch. However, it would seem that if a part failed in your transmission, then there is a pretty good likelihood that the rest of the trans. has "stuff" running through it. It would also seem to me that you are throwing away good money by just replacing the the TC, if that is in fact your plan. I would be saving and just going with the piece you want or need.

all that said, the last time I got a TC it was from FTI. The research I did, found that it was the best fit for my situation. I have a 700r4 as well. I went with a lock up TC. I installed it and it has been issue free. I have it behind a 550hp 400SBC. I know at some point the trans is probably going to fail as it is a stock tranny. If and when that happens, I will most likely buy a transmission from FTI. I have been happy with their product.
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 04:58 PM   #4
pjmoreland

I spent a decent amount of time recently reading as many reviews of 700R4 torque converters as I could find. There are a few brands of torque converters that are quite expensive ($800-$900), and then there are a few brands that are more reasonably priced ($300-$500). I read many mixed and negative reviews of most of the reasonably priced ones such as TCI, B&M, etc. The only reasonably priced brand I could find that had mostly positive reviews was FTI. I haven't bought one yet, but I am considering it if my current TCI converter that I sent back for warranty repair ends up failing again. The lock up clutch started slipping after 6 months.
pjmoreland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 05:23 PM   #5
LS short box

I've used Yank and Circle TC's over the years with great results. No failures.
I bought a Yank TC last December and they were running a bit of a sale with free shipping.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 10:30 PM   #6
Ziegelsteinfaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS short box View Post
I've used Yank and Circle TC's over the years with great results. No failures.
I bought a Yank TC last December and they were running a bit of a sale with free shipping.
Any opinions on the 2 brands.

I am not opposed to spending money, but I am not going to happy about it now. Things keep breaking for money, and I wanna just cruise to a vacation.
Old 11-30-2021, 08:19 PM   #7
Ziegelsteinfaust

Today pulled the motor, and started pulling the trans apart to find out what went wrong.

Torque converter looks all right, and no metal piece falling out.

Front pump still has its ears, and makes pumping sounds when rotated.

No metal in the pan, and fluid not burnt. No chunks of metal in there either.

Ran out of skill, and my trans guy will look into for me.

On a side note. Fly wheel is cracked all the way around the mounting holes, and my engine has alot of end play.

What ever happened was pretty big.
Old 12-09-2021, 10:06 PM   #8
PGSigns

I have used Hughes for drag race convertors many times. Always good convertors. If the flexplate is broke and the motor has a lot of end play I would be looking at the engine for a wiped out thrust bearing. I think you have much more than a transmission problem.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 10:52 PM   #9
Ziegelsteinfaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGSigns View Post
I have used Hughes for drag race convertors many times. Always good convertors. If the flexplate is broke and the motor has a lot of end play I would be looking at the engine for a wiped out thrust bearing. I think you have much more than a transmission problem.
Jimmy
I know. The motor was scheduled to be replaced due to compression issues with today's gas. But was drivable, and started up very well with cold LA winters with a carb, and no choke.

The trans blew a seal, and forced fluid into the converter. Breaking the flexplate, and ruining my thrust bearing. The seal was in the converter which was rebuilt after being cut open by a shop for diagnostic reasons.

Everything is going back togather, but rain stopped progress for today. The heads came back later, and I need install them. I already installed the short block, and trans. I am using a comp 306 can to bleed off cylinder pressure to work with today's gas.

The 383 will be rebuilt with lower compression probably 9.5 to 1 with factory heads that will be ported a bit, and the original cam it had. The 350 got its AFR 195 heads which I believe to of been cnc ported from the factory. The 383 will be reborn more truck, and DD friendly.
Old 12-10-2021, 02:55 PM   #10
fun in dirt

We've had great service & always used PTC in Muscle Shoals, AL.
'06 Silverado SS...DD
'06 C1500 WT...DD
'07 Classic C1500 WT...DD
Built & sold cause can't keep 'em all:
'72 Blazer "The Bucket" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=433190
'55 Chevy straight axle gasser https://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173938
'69 Pro Street Chevelle http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=332541
'86 M1031 CUCV http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=553619
fun in dirt is offline   Reply With Quote