The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-26-2021, 04:35 PM   #1
62bagger

62 turn signal switch question

I am putting a new wiring harness in my 62. I am trying to get the turn signals to work but, I cannot get the front, rear and the dash indicators to all work like they should. It seems that there are not enough slots for everything. has anyone had this problem, did you have to use a different turn signal plug or is there s workaround?
Attached Images

62bagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 05:13 PM   #2
ray_mcavoy

Re: 62 turn signal switch question

On that type of switch, the terminal that's up at the top / center should be connected to the wire that comes from the brake light switch.

On the next row down, the terminal on the left should be connected to the right rear brake / signal light. and the terminal on the right should go to the left rear brake / signal light.

On the bottom row, the terminal on the left should be connected to the right front turn signal as well as the right turn indicator in the dash. The middle terminal receives power from the turn signal flasher. And the right terminal goes to the left front turn signal and left indicator in the dash.

Note, the original '62 & '63 truck instrument clusters usually just had one spot for a turn signal indicator bulb that would flash for either direction. They accomplished that by connecting the left turn wire to one side of the bulb and the right turn wire to the other side (using a plastic socket to isolate both sides from ground). But you can convert over to separate left & right indicators by running each wire to a separate bulb with it's own ground.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 05:33 PM   #3
62bagger

It sounds like I should connect the left turn indicator to the wire for the left front wire to accomplish this (left front and dash indicator together and the same for the right) ?
Old 04-26-2021, 05:50 PM   #4
ray_mcavoy

Yes, if your dash supports separate left & right indicator lights, you'll want to wire the left indicator up to the left front turn signal circuit. And same for the right.

The reason for them sharing the connections with the front (as opposed to the rear) turn signals is because the rear ones also serve as brake lights. If you were to tie the dash indicator lights in with the rear turn signals, the dash indicators would come on with the brake lights.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 06:52 PM   #5
62bagger

Thank you for the help