The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-19-2023, 09:38 AM   #1
BanjoDude

Got my Grandpa's truck back after 25 years - advice?

Grandpa was a mechanic in the same shop for 59+ years - the longest-operating inspection station in PA history. He never had much, and wasn't the type to prize possessions, but his C20 was his pride and joy. In Oct. of '97 I watched, heartbroken, as he sold it. I wanted it so badly, but it sold for $3,000 when I didn't have $500. After 25 years, I just found it, and it's back in the family.

I have a fully-equipped shop with a lift and am fairly proficient mechanically, but most of my experience is from a frame-off restoration of a '73 Triumph GT6. I'd love some advice on what I should check out on a new-to-me truck. It had a new paint job about 20 years ago that is still in 9/10 condition, along with new rubber seals, body mounts, carpet/soundproofing and seat cover. The engine, transmission, and rear end are all original, and I'd really like to keep them that way. Something special about working on the same stuff my Grandpa worked on.

Since I'm not familiar with these things yet, I'd love some advice on what to check out mechanically. It starts right up every time and purrs like a kitten. The only thing I've noticed is that the steering (not power) is pretty sloppy. I'd really like to tighten that up as much as possible. Any advice on where to start on that? Anything else to consider? Thanks!
BanjoDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 09:47 AM   #2
BanjoDude

Re: Got my Grandpa's truck back after 25 years - advice?

A few pictures.
Attached Images

Old 02-19-2023, 11:21 AM   #3
Louisvillekytruck

Congratulations very nice truck
Louisvillekytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 11:49 AM   #4
Warrens69GMC

I think I would get a new steering gearbox, cleanup the rest of the truck and drive it as it. Nice truck.
Warrens69GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 11:51 AM   #5
special-K
Special Order

Welcome to the board! I'd go over the steering and brakes. Not go through, just give it all a good inspection and then see what needs gone through. Sounds like the next owner treated it well. As far as the steering box goes, if you decide to replace it due to being worn out, I have a manual box from a low mile truck you can have for cost of shipping. Manual boxes aren't that heavy. I love this story you have going here (not over yet, right?) and would love to help in that way. Nice looking truck!

* And if you could work on a Triumph this Chevy will be a cinch

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 11:55 AM   #6
FRCvette

Nice that you were able to get your grandfather's truck after all those years and it still being original. I would keep it original too.

1967 c10 swb Stepside
2004 SSR
2013 Silverado swb
FRCvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 12:11 PM   #7
yuccales

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanjoDude View Post
The engine, transmission, and rear end are all original, and I'd really like to keep them that way. Something special about working on the same stuff my Grandpa worked on.
Awesome story. I would have loved to turn wrenches with my grandpa but never had the chance. Fix what needs fixing and enjoy the heck out of it. Don't ever let that one leave the family.
yuccales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 12:13 PM   #8
CKfan

Beautiful truck, congrats.

Most of us wish we had a truck in that condition as a starting point. Wow!
CKfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 12:19 PM   #9
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

Congratulations.

Tighten the steering up
Refresh the ignition carb and enjoy
Old 02-19-2023, 12:25 PM   #10
BanjoDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Welcome to the board! I'd go over the steering and brakes. Not go through, just give it all a good inspection and then see what needs gone through. Sounds like the next owner treated it well. As far as the steering box goes, if you decide to replace it due to being worn out, I have a manual box from a low mile truck you can have for cost of shipping. Manual boxes aren't that heavy. I love this story you have going here (not over yet, right?) and would love to help in that way. Nice looking truck!

* And if you could work on a Triumph this Chevy will be a cinch
That is very kind of you! It's got 145k miles, so it's probably time. All of the slop appears to be south of the steering shaft, but I don't know exactly how to assess it from there. I did buy the factory service manuals, so I'll have a look at those and see if I can more accurately diagnose. I'd hate to take a part out of circulation if it's not needed. If there is a quick way to know for sure, I'm all ears.
Old 02-19-2023, 12:28 PM   #11
BanjoDude

Thanks for the well-wishes, guys. I suspect there are thousands of stories out there like this. In case anyone is interested, here is the more complete backstory on this one:

There are good days, and then there are epic days. Monday was an epic day.

My Grandpa was an incredible human being in so many ways. Imperfect as any of us, but incredible. He probably should have been an engineer of some variety, and perhaps would have, had he had the opportunity. He lost his dad to suicide as an early teen – the toll of the Great Depression - and he went straight to work as an auto mechanic to help provide for the family. He worked in that same shop for more than 59 years, and was honored by the state when he retired for running the longest continually-operating inspection station in PA history. During that time, my kid brother and I spent countless hours with he and Grandma – sweeping the shop, organizing inventory, playing with the old NCR cash register, pretending to check out imaginary customers, fishing, riding bikes and scooters around the paved drive, gardening, begging for quarters to buy a soda from the old Coke machine out front, pulling the rope on the old train whistle that stood tall above his shop so we could hear it scream, and any time he could take the time, learning how cars worked by watching him diagnose and fix anything that hit his door. His mind was a thing of wonder to me – it seemed like he knew everything there was to know about fixing anything.

He was a tough man in many ways with a binary sense of right and wrong, and his concern for doing things the right way was often misinterpreted as stubbornness – harshness, even. He could see solutions to problems instinctively, and found a way to use anything that had value – absolutely nothing went to waste.

Grandpa wasn’t the type to prize possessions, per se, but I think the pickup truck he bought nearly new in 1970 was his favorite thing. I rode for what is surely thousands of miles behind that old red dash – trips to Napa in Greencastle to pick up parts, house calls when a truck wouldn’t start, daily trips to the Shady Grove Post Office and often, a ride to Klein’s grocery to pick up a few things. Lots more time was spent in the bed with my younger brother, on our way to a pond to fish for bluegill and sunnies, or pulling the boat to Chincoteague to fish for puffers, sea bass and flounder. He didn’t have a lot of material things, but kept everything he owned in tip-top condition.

In October of 1997 I watched, heartbroken, as he sold his truck. I wanted it so badly, but it sold for $3,000 when I didn't have $500.

I have regretted that day since, and have repeatedly told my wife that if it ever came up for sale again, I would not let it get away a second time.

After 25 years of dreaming and a whirlwind trip to Pennsylvania with my brother and oldest son, it's now back in the Gipe family to stay. As it turns out, the man who bought it in 1997 has owned it this entire time - and has treated it with the same care as Grandpa. It looks and drives like a new one - and it still smells like my childhood the moment you open the door.
Old 02-19-2023, 12:39 PM   #12
PbFut

Go slow in the beginning. You will likely have this truck a long time so nothing should be in a hurry but don't let it sit either. If the steering is sloppy it is likely a sum of all pivot points being worn. Not one thing will greatly improve the feel, but the total will be a big change. Speaking of steering, I believe the steering wheel is from a newer year. It looks out of place to me. Given this is such a time capsule I think I might look into a more original style given the part is so prominent in the cab. Glad you were able to find the truck. Best of luck to you.
PbFut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 12:41 PM   #13
mr.mud1

these are great old trucks but when you have the story that goes with it and the memories...priceless.i've been a year and a half waking up a truck that was was low miles but sleeping for 25 years.i went too far and it's rebirth but that's me.as mentioned,fix the steering,go through the brakes,cooling,exhaust,whatever you have to do to make it safe and dependable and enjoy the heck out of it.don't let it get away ever again.
mr.mud1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 01:09 PM   #14
special-K
Special Order

Often it's a bad rag joint. There is an adjustment on the steering box, but at 145k it could be worn out. This box I have was given to me by member Jeff's Bowtie. He took a low mile C/30 and converted it to 4wd, requiring the 4wd steering box. I actually have two, so no problem if you want it. Just let me know. I'll be around.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 02-19-2023, 01:25 PM   #15
BanjoDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Often it's a bad rag joint. There is an adjustment on the steering box, but at 145k it could be worn out. This box I have was given to me by member Jeff's Bowtie. He took a low mile C/30 and converted it to 4wd, requiring the 4wd steering box. I actually have two, so no problem if you want it. Just let me know. I'll be around.
Thanks! Can't hurt to start with a rag joint. Is there a brand that's recommended, or are the ones at the FLAPS stores reliable? I'm used to Triumphs - where most of the repop parts are garbage, but it looks like stuff is way more available for these.
Old 02-19-2023, 01:27 PM   #16
BanjoDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by PbFut View Post
Go slow in the beginning. You will likely have this truck a long time so nothing should be in a hurry but don't let it sit either. If the steering is sloppy it is likely a sum of all pivot points being worn. Not one thing will greatly improve the feel, but the total will be a big change. Speaking of steering, I believe the steering wheel is from a newer year. It looks out of place to me. Given this is such a time capsule I think I might look into a more original style given the part is so prominent in the cab. Glad you were able to find the truck. Best of luck to you.
That's interesting about the wheel. I'll have to look into it. I only remember the one that's installed.
Old 02-19-2023, 01:37 PM   #17
special-K
Special Order

That's the original wheel. Definitely 69-72 style. That red color is '69-only and that color isn't offered in reproduction. The seat cover is a 71/72 Cheyenne Super design but custom made. No red Cheyenne Super interiors. Interior components of various materials did not all match up 100% from factory,especially in '69, and then there's deterioration. The column probably matched the wheel pretty well since the paint was mixed to match the wheel. But the wheel could fade. It looks fatter at the rim but I think that's a camera thing. Makes the rim on the left look fatter than on the right

Tim

Old 02-19-2023, 03:10 PM   #18
best view

Well you will be the only one under 50 that will know how to drive a three on the tree it won’t get stolen lol
best view is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 03:40 PM   #19
Accelo

Being a Grandpa I would be proud if my grandson got one of my trucks. Your Grandpa is smiling in heaven, I am sure of that.

As far as the truck goes you have a keeper. I would go through the brakes. If you just do the seals you may even be able to keep the wheel cylinders as they are. Sounds like your Grandpa would have done it that way. Nobody changes the brake fluid like they should. You will have to do it sooner than later anyway. Change the differential and trans fluid while you are at it. And don't forget to replace the antifreeze. You might go so far as to pull the 1/4" pipe plugs and drain the block. These will need to be unplugged as a lot of gunk ends up there. Flush it with lots of water till it comes clean and then add antifreeze. Clean out behind the seats and in the cab corners and don't forget the inside of the doors. You will find a complete thread, in this forum, on the places to clean/clear to keep any corrosion at bay.
I would change the heater hoses to black and go to the squeeze and tower clamps like it came from GM. When it needs a battery purchase a Delco. The cruise control was likely added. I would clean up the cruise control wiring to between the inner fender and the fender. This will help it look stock like you prefer and most are easy enough to do.
I am happy for you.
Cheers
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 03:54 PM   #20
MikeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanjoDude View Post
Can't hurt to start with a rag joint. Is there a brand that's recommended, or are the ones at the FLAPS stores reliable? I'm used to Triumphs - where most of the repop parts are garbage, but it looks like stuff is way more available for these.
A few years ago, I bought a Lares brand rag joint, but returned it. In addition to using non-reinforced rubber (no cords), it had cheesy hardware.

This is what I ended up using. It cost nearly twice as much, but is almost exactly like the original.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/GM-St...int,41917.html
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!

Last edited by MikeB; 02-20-2023 at 04:17 PM.
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 08:03 PM   #21
Rods

Congratulations on finding your grandpas truck and thanks for sharing your story very cool.

My grandson is now 4 and loves the trucks following me around each one as I work on them.

It sounds like the truck was well taken care of and as all before have mentioned things to do.

Here is my thoughts if it’s been in operation then great but if it has been sitting for awhile then go through the steps on checking things out for safety reasons as mentioned already but if it’s been up and going then enjoy it service it and fix things as needed.

No need to flush out things or change things that perhaps the previous owner has already done.

Did you get any service records with the truck ? If so then start yours from there.

Congratulations again great looking truck we all on this site are here to help with what ever is needed on these trucks so ask any and all questions and good luck with your new old family truck.

P.S. your son’s memories with this truck start now………
Old 02-19-2023, 11:46 PM   #22
weasel29gm
SLOW BUT SURE,BUT CLOSER

Welcome and grandpa would be proud. Great story and being here is invaluable you'll learn a wealth on info. Good luck and have a good ride!!
69 C-10, OWNED 35YRS... 350 over 30, 350 Turbo, 3:73 Posi P/S, P/B Black with red and black int. ''LOVE THESE OLD ''TRUCKS.......
weasel29gm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 08:20 AM   #23
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Nice looking truck. Being from western PA and OH area, that is really clean. To me if you dealt with the GT6, you'll have no issues with the truck.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 09:06 AM   #24
dave6672

Congratulations and awesome story! Beautiful truck.

1972 K20
1972 C20 Highlander
1957 Chevy 210 Delray
1967 C10
dave6672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 09:18 AM   #25
dave6672

Does it have cruise control? Can you post a SPID pic? Thanks

1972 K20
1972 C20 Highlander
1957 Chevy 210 Delray
1967 C10
dave6672 is offline   Reply With Quote