The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-31-2016, 09:36 AM   #126
homemade87

Re: Hooker 73-87 GM truck LS swap system

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddoky View Post
That certainly sucks. I just saw your post and have already left work for the day, so I won't be of much help to you until Monday. It would probably benefit you to call Holley customer service and explain your situation, since they may be able to figure something out for you.
Posted via Mobile Device
Toddoky , I tried to get thru Friday afternoon . By the time I got your message it was 4:30 my time and was to late to get in touch with them . Could you look into it for me Monday morning and see if indeed you have some of the sets ready to ship . I know they all may been spoken for but my name has been in the pot for a while . Please let me know and thanks for your help .
homemade87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 09:38 PM   #127
Advanced Design

Toddoky, I appreciate your involvement here so I bought some Hooker manifolds.
Attached Images

Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 10:46 PM   #128
68basket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advanced Design View Post
Toddoky, I appreciate your involvement here so I bought some Hooker manifolds.
i have used those on a couple of swaps. They are very nice parts and fit many swap applications.
68basket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 05:46 PM   #129
homemade87

Quote:
Originally Posted by homemade87 View Post
Toddoky , I tried to get thru Friday afternoon . By the time I got your message it was 4:30 my time and was to late to get in touch with them . Could you look into it for me Monday morning and see if indeed you have some of the sets ready to ship . I know they all may been spoken for but my name has been in the pot for a while . Please let me know and thanks for your help .
Toddoky . I am sending you a PM on the exhaust concerning this post .
homemade87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 05:24 PM   #130
Advanced Design

Guys,

Does anyone have the dimension / length of the down pipe 70701403-RHKR
from the mounting flange to the bottom of the pipe? I am trying to determine if it will work for my 48 Suburban.

This is the downpipe for the 73 to 87 LS swap using Hooker components.

Thank you!
Attached Images

Old 03-28-2016, 02:17 PM   #131
toddoky

Quote:
Guys,

Does anyone have the dimension / length of the down pipe 70701403-RHKR
from the mounting flange to the bottom of the pipe? I am trying to determine if it will work for my 48 Suburban.

This is the downpipe for the 73 to 87 LS swap using Hooker components.

Thank you!
The approximate dimensions measured in reference from the rear-most hole located on the machined outlet surface of the manifolds to the bottom of the outlets of the adapter tubes are as follows;

Driver side- 9.25"
Passenger side- 9.75"
toddoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 02:54 PM   #132
Advanced Design

Quote:
The approximate dimensions measured in reference from the rear-most hole located on the machined outlet surface of the manifolds to the bottom of the outlets of the adapter tubes are as follows;

Driver side- 9.25"
Passenger side- 9.75"
Perfect! Thank you so much Todd. Really appreciate the help! Placing my order now.

Been following your product development over on LS1Tech too. You are a huge help for this hobby.

Any plans to do a system for the late 60's early 70's B bodies?
Old 03-28-2016, 04:38 PM   #133
toddoky

Quote:
Perfect! Thank you so much Todd. Really appreciate the help! Placing my order now.

Been following your product development over on LS1Tech too. You are a huge help for this hobby.

Any plans to do a system for the late 60's early 70's B bodies?
Glad to help Doug. I don't know what's coming my way following the 64-67 A-body system I'm working on now, but I've not heard anyone on the management team mention the B-bodies yet...I'll be sure to mention them.
Old 03-28-2016, 05:21 PM   #134
indymachinist

Still waiting for the 67-72 truck parts.

My 1968 Chevy shortbed stepside build
indymachinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 05:42 PM   #135
toddoky

Quote:
Originally Posted by indymachinist View Post
Yeah, I would personally like to see that one tackled next.
Old 03-28-2016, 08:13 PM   #136
Advanced Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by indymachinist View Post
I would vote for that too!
Old 04-09-2016, 11:04 PM   #137
Advanced Design

Todd,

Thanks again for the measurements. Today I was able to try the downpipes and it looks like they will work for my application.

It would be helpful for a lot of builders if Holley could provide the dimensions for all the downpipes, as you provided for me above, in product listings.

Also, these downpipes had a lot of sanding debris left in the pipe. I don't know if all of them produced are the same .... and someone somewhere is going to miss cleaning out the debris. My concern would be the debris could migrate back into the engine or possibly contaminate an O2 sensor. The instructions with the down pipes didn't advise to check or clean them. Perhaps they could be revised.

Or better yet the production process could include a cleaning as one of the last steps.

Just some suggestions for continuous improvement.
Attached Images

Old 04-12-2016, 01:33 PM   #138
toddoky

Quote:
Todd,

Thanks again for the measurements. Today I was able to try the downpipes and it looks like they will work for my application.

It would be helpful for a lot of builders if Holley could provide the dimensions for all the downpipes, as you provided for me above, in product listings.

Also, these downpipes had a lot of sanding debris left in the pipe. I don't know if all of them produced are the same .... and someone somewhere is going to miss cleaning out the debris. My concern would be the debris could migrate back into the engine or possibly contaminate an O2 sensor. The instructions with the down pipes didn't advise to check or clean them. Perhaps they could be revised.

Or better yet the production process could include a cleaning as one of the last steps.

Just some suggestions for continuous improvement.
I will indeed forward your comment about the grinding dust inside the tubes to the production department.

As far as dimensions of the adapters goes, I supplied you with those measurement as a courtesy as a fellow member here, but it's not something we will be doing overall since all of the new Hooker LS swap components are application-specific by design and not intended for use as universal fit components.

Providing measurements is troublesome as they can be misinterpreted by a user and cause poor fitment and brand impressions, or prompt calls to the tech service department asking for a similar pipe to be made for them that has an additional 2 degrees of bend in it or some more rotation between the bends...I think you can see what a can of worms it opens up. Universal parts usually have a high ratio of returns associated with them and just doesn't represent the direction of development for new Hooker products these days.

Guys like yourself giving first-hand use experience with using Hooker parts on custom applications is far more valuable to a potential user I believe.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:01 AM   #139
Advanced Design

Quote:
I will indeed forward your comment about the grinding dust inside the tubes to the production department.

As far as dimensions of the adapters goes, I supplied you with those measurement as a courtesy as a fellow member here, but it's not something we will be doing overall since all of the new Hooker LS swap components are application-specific by design and not intended for use as universal fit components.

Providing measurements is troublesome as they can be misinterpreted by a user and cause poor fitment and brand impressions, or prompt calls to the tech service department asking for a similar pipe to be made for them that has an additional 2 degrees of bend in it or some more rotation between the bends...I think you can see what a can of worms it opens up. Universal parts usually have a high ratio of returns associated with them and just doesn't represent the direction of development for new Hooker products these days.

Guys like yourself giving first-hand use experience with using Hooker parts on custom applications is far more valuable to a potential user I believe.
Now that you mention it, can I have these just one inch shorter....I am jesting. Since practically everything I have touched on the last two builds requires extensive fabrication, I am thrilled to have parts that will work without hours of modification. So again, I appreciate the dimensions you provided me.

And at same time, I certainly understand how many people would misunderstand fitment dimensions, wanting custom modification for mass produced prices / capabilities. Then be upset with the company when they can't have it.

Thanks again for all your support.
Old 04-13-2016, 01:24 PM   #140
toddoky

Quote:
Now that you mention it, can I have these just one inch shorter....I am jesting. Since practically everything I have touched on the last two builds requires extensive fabrication, I am thrilled to have parts that will work without hours of modification. So again, I appreciate the dimensions you provided me.

And at same time, I certainly understand how many people would misunderstand fitment dimensions, wanting custom modification for mass produced prices / capabilities. Then be upset with the company when they can't have it.

Thanks again for all your support.
Yeah, you've got a good understanding of the potential scenario...it's not typically worth the aggravation. Glad to be of help to you or any other members here.
Old 04-14-2016, 06:08 PM   #141
BMaine

Holley must be really busy, 5 to 6 week wait for headers.
BMaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 08:29 PM   #142
toddoky

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMaine View Post
Yes, we are quite busy these days and back orders do arise from time to time. what specific version of the headers are you considering?
Old 04-14-2016, 09:12 PM   #143
toddoky

Quote:
Yes, we are quite busy these days and back orders do arise from time to time. what specific version of the headers are you considering?
Old 04-15-2016, 08:44 AM   #144
BMaine

I ordered the 70101504-1HKR model back on 3/19 and I called Holley yesterday because my order still said processing and was told none will be shipped until 4/28. I'm not really in a hurry because my build doesn't start till mid May. Is there a back order for exhaust part 70501415-RHKR? If so I should order soon. Thanks for your help.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:41 AM   #145
toddoky

Quote:
I ordered the 70101504-1HKR model back on 3/19 and I called Holley yesterday because my order still said processing and was told none will be shipped until 4/28. I'm not really in a hurry because my build doesn't start till mid May. Is there a back order for exhaust part 70501415-RHKR? If so I should order soon. Thanks for your help.
I don't readily have the ability to access order status or production schedule information as I work in the engineering department. If you are interested in the exhaust system, I would order it sooner than later as orders are filled in the order that they are received.
Old 04-23-2016, 10:26 PM   #146
BMaine

On the Holley website there is a note that says the exhaust doesn't fit on trucks with the 56" long leaf springs. Is that for both rear and side exit pipes?
Old 04-24-2016, 07:39 AM   #147
toddoky

Quote:
On the Holley website there is a note that says the exhaust doesn't fit on trucks with the 56" long leaf springs. Is that for both rear and side exit pipes?
Yes, the exclusion is applicable to both exit styles. The rear spring perch location on trucks with the 56" springs is directly in the path of the designed frame attachment point of the tailpipe hangers of the Hooker exhaust systems. If you wanted to install either system on a truck equipped with such springs, you would have to fabricate new hangers that attach in a different location.
Old 05-02-2016, 06:41 PM   #148
BMaine

I got my headers last week. Just thought I'd post a picture of them. 1 7/8" primary, mild steel with ceramic coating.
Attached Images

Old 05-30-2016, 10:51 PM   #149
Misled

toddoky,
Are power steering hoses available or suggested for use withn the accessory kit? (forgive me if it is in the paperwork....I didn't see it)

Thanks,

Barry
Misled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 10:56 PM   #150
toddoky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misled View Post
toddoky,
Are power steering hoses available or suggested for use withn the accessory kit? (forgive me if it is in the paperwork....I didn't see it)

Thanks,

Barry
No, there's no particular PS hoses called out in the instructions of any of the components...the lab tech who does all the final assembly of our swap projects normally makes custom hoses using Aeroquip fittings and hose.

Last edited by toddoky; 05-30-2016 at 11:02 PM.