The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-13-2012, 01:43 PM   #1
danheit

Moral Dilemma: How long should I wait?

So a little back story, I sold my 1955 TF project #1 to a guy from Canada in very early March. He paid $1200, and has been quite the painful and expensive process to get the truck ready for him to take back to Canada. Keep in mind the guy came down and purchased the truck in person. He was supposed to have it picked up by a transportation company fairly early on, although I did hold him off in the beginning as he wanted me to take the open title from the previous owner (not signed over to anyone), and have it titled in my name and then sign it over to him. A bit of a pain, and cost me $200 everything said and done, but whatever. That was a 2 week process. Here it is half way through May and the truck is still sitting in my driveway. He has supposedly contacted several different shippers to have them come pick the truck up, but nobody has come through. Once again, he is supposed to have a shipper here at my house tomorrow to get the truck (negating the fact that I have to work all day), and I still have heard nothing from the shipper/transport co. He told me if it isn't picked up by tomorrow, that he will be going out of town for 2 weeks and would take care of it then.

Basically, at what point do I start charging a storage fee and eventually tell him tough luck? I have never been, and never want to be one that takes advantage of someone, but this can't go on forever. I have had contact with him about once a week via email, and have explained to him something needs to happen quickly, with no results. What would you guys do? Sending him back the $$ isn't gonna happen, as it is all tied up in the new motor for my other '55 TF project I am working on. I really don't need another truck, but I'm not a car lot either.
danheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 02:09 PM   #2
Chevette

Re: Moral Dilemma: How long should I wait?

If he is from Toronto, Ontario then charge him a storage fee. In fact, you should charge him the fee retroactive to 3 years before he purchased the truck. If he is from British Columbia, don't charge him anything.
Chevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 03:10 PM   #3
Wrenchbender Ret

These shipping co,s will stall till they get something going that way so they wont have to dead head as much.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:24 PM   #4
danheit

Ha! Yes, he is from Ontario. The truck is being shipped from S. Carolina to Maine. He is going to import and trailer the truck the rest of the way.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:37 PM   #5
mr48chev

I rather have to Agree with Wrenchbender Ret. Some of these vehicle shippers and that is even the good ones tend to wait until they have a load going in that direction. Also if the truck isn't able to get up on the rig that is hauling it on it's own a lot of the convoy style trucks won't take it.

You can't blame a guy for wanting the title straight as one that wasn't would create a real hassle for him later.
mr48chev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:55 PM   #6
poncho_villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevette View Post
If he is from Toronto, Ontario then charge him a storage fee. In fact, you should charge him the fee retroactive to 3 years before he purchased the truck. If he is from British Columbia, don't charge him anything.
I agree!
Old 05-13-2012, 08:50 PM   #7
azsnow

Work with him, for someone from a different country to buy a truck and get a lousy shipper to take it up there is very difficult. Its actually easier to ship something to Nigeria then to find someone to ship to Random US places in NE from the south, or anywhere else for that matter.
azsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:51 PM   #8
49bowtie

When I shipped my truck, it took over a month, and that was a easy heading east on I-10 trip. I finally had to throw more money at it, and someone finally picked it up. I'm sure he's getting the same run-around that I got.
49bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:51 PM   #9
danheit

Gotcha. Like I said, I would never want to take advantage of him, or screw him in any way. I was just trying to figure out at what point do I say enough is enough? Regardless, I have the truck all buttoned up for the shipper to come tomorrow, although I have not had any contact from them yet. Battery is fully charged, gas in the tank, key is in the ignition. I may fiddle with it a little tomorrow morning just to make sure it is running strong, but I don't forsee any problems. Oh, and we are supposedly working on the 3rd shipper right now.

Purchaser is also the same guy that tried to tell me that I had to give him a bigger break on the truck than other people cause of the costs he would incur in shipping it back to ON. He quickly found that it wouldn't be my problem. I can also say that I have bent over backwards for this guy trying to help him with shippers, locate a bed for him, and paid the extra money to get the truck towed to the DMV, title changed, registered and tagged (per their requirements) and towed home all to get him his title, instead of him just writing his name on the back of the original title in the purchaser spot. just sayin, it would've been that easy for him, and he could have incurred those costs when he went to have it titled in his name, instead of me having to lose $200 of the $1200 he paid me.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:15 PM   #10
Chevette

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho_villa View Post
I agree!
Hey Poncho: All they have in that God Forsaken town is the Maple Leafs (also known as Cellar Dwellers). Out west, we hate them. They are so jealous of BC.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:04 AM   #11
11Chuck

You are a lot nicer then me. I'd tell him he has two weeks or I'm having it towed off my property then he can deal with an impound lot.
Posted via Mobile Device
11Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:15 AM   #12
focusedontheprize

I agree with 11Chuck.

I just shipped a truck in February (state to state mind you, howver in the middle of no where in MN), but the shippers were great in keeping me up to date and the status (including the broker) on the time frames and routes. They get paid when your product gets shipped, so they want that product to move quick.

Cutting him a break because of the shipping costs? It is the price of doing business my friend, I understand it is not the greatest thing having to ship it to another country, but unfortunately it is what it is.

I would call him up this week and tell him your status. The truck has been there since March, he has not had anyone pick it up, he drove down to look at the truck (seems he may have to bit the bullet and drive down himself and get it), and he has not offered you anything for being generous and allowing it to say on the property that long?
focusedontheprize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:46 PM   #13
danheit

Quote:
Originally Posted by focusedontheprize View Post
I agree with 11Chuck.

I just shipped a truck in February (state to state mind you, howver in the middle of no where in MN), but the shippers were great in keeping me up to date and the status (including the broker) on the time frames and routes. They get paid when your product gets shipped, so they want that product to move quick.

Cutting him a break because of the shipping costs? It is the price of doing business my friend, I understand it is not the greatest thing having to ship it to another country, but unfortunately it is what it is.

I would call him up this week and tell him your status. The truck has been there since March, he has not had anyone pick it up, he drove down to look at the truck (seems he may have to bit the bullet and drive down himself and get it), and he has not offered you anything for being generous and allowing it to say on the property that long?
Pretty much sums it up. I will say though, I received a telephone call from the truck driver's wife this morning (weird, but whatever) telling me the truck would be picked up today by 2pm. It's currently almost 5 and according to my wife, it's still there. This is the same truck driver that, last time, wanted me to meet him at 4am to do the transfer. I won't repeat what I told him....
Old 05-14-2012, 08:15 PM   #14
Atomsplitter

If the guy is from Ontario just give him a bit more time as I'm sure he's an honest, hard working type.
Those guys from B.C. usually travel in pairs so don't turn your back on them or bend over for the soap! They don't call it "San Francisco North" for nothing!?!
Atomsplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:55 PM   #15
Chevette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomsplitter View Post
If the guy is from Ontario just give him a bit more time as I'm sure he's an honest, hard working type.
Those guys from B.C. usually travel in pairs so don't turn your back on them or bend over for the soap! They don't call it "San Francisco North" for nothing!?!
Obviously a Maple Leafs fan. BTW how are things in the cellar?
Old 05-15-2012, 03:17 AM   #16
dubds10
Stalker Nate

I can honestly say, for me when the purchase has completed and if I have space on the property, it has never bothered me to keep stuff for guys up to 6 months till they came back to town.

The shipping industry can get a lot of screwball type ppl though and you do get screwed around here and there. Makes it more difficult for people who work out of town etc who aren't around to take care of business.

Two months isn't a long time when you work fulltime and you live 1000miles away...times seems to go by fast lol Been there done it before. I'm currently holding on to a '49 GMC for a guy who bought it a month+ ago now. But now I'm moving so it's got to move, except I'm going out of town off and on for 2wks now, so now everything is delayed another 2wks lol It's always one thing or another...

Nate

PS: Does Toronto still have the Leafs? I haven't seen or heard anything about them in years!!!

Instagram - TheDonutDiner
FaceBook - @UscreamIscream
dubds10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:20 PM   #17
entourageguy
Yellow truck club

all this for a $1200 truck?
Ontario people are ok in my book.
These shipping guys can be fun to work with at times.

Brian ......

My hub garage address
http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/59apache
I gue$$ everything has it'$ price
ALL GONE NOW

59 Chev Apache
PRAISE THE LOWERED
350 700r lokar shifter
power MII front end, shockwaves
tilt, 4 wheel discs
4-link and bags
10 bolt limited
entourageguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:25 PM   #18
papastrk

The buyer needs to step up here and make things right with you for the added expense for a clean title and the time you have given him to transport at their leisure. Geez. The title alone is worth a LOT. That expense should come out of the buyers pocket. I would have no problem asking for a storage fee.
papastrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:20 PM   #19
_Ogre

i'm with dubds on this, if it's not in your way, don't sweat it.
though i wouldn't have incurred any extra expense for his benefit

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:20 PM   #20
danheit

Well, thankfully, I did a good bit of legwork yesterday and today, and got a hold of his shipper. The truck is now on it's way to Maine. To answer one questions, yes, it was very much so in my way. It blocked the middle of my driveway and had me parking my personal vehicles in the street for two months. That was a big issue I was having with it. Regardless, my problem is now solved. Oh, and don't ever use Keystone transport. That guy is an idiot. He actually had to call out a wrecker to load the 55 on his 3 car trailer cause he didn't know how to use a push button start, and didn't want to mess with it once I tried to explain it to him. Sadly, that fee was passed on to the buyer. I will say one thing though about the seller which I feel really bad for. I told him I would throw in some extra parts, of those being the hood emblem, and had them all sitting in a box to go in the truck. It got left behind. I had a new carb, HEI dizzy, etc. ah well, I can certainly say I'm not gonna drop another $100 to ship it all.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:06 AM   #21
OrrieG

For $200 on a $1200 sale, UNLESS you stated it had a clear title in your name before hand, I would have just signed the blank one and gave him a bill of sale. I have never paid for the title transfer when I sold any vehicles it is the buyers responsibility. Dealers do it all the time, our titles can go thru 3 parties before final recording (there are three places on the back for signature transfer). Thanks for posting its a good lesson learned on what to state and negotiate during the sale.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:44 AM   #22
danheit

Thanks Orrie, I agree with what you said. I was just trying to help the guy a little, as he is a retired customs agent at the Canada border, and I am currently a police officer (we try to help eachother out as best as we can). I did state in my Craigslist posting that it had a clear title, but never that it was in my name. In fact, I informed him over the telephone the exact situation with the title before he ever came out and looked at the truck. It was only after he purchased the truck that he came back the next day and told me he was uncomfortable with the title not being directly in my name, but left blank from the previous owner to title to whomever. I figured I would be nice and help him out.....with a lot more things than I bargained for. Lesson learned. Not that he isn't a nice guy, but I will most likely not be doing any out of the country deals any more. Thankfully now though, I can start on my new project! Pics and build details will come soon.....
Old 05-16-2012, 07:30 AM   #23
Handfull 54

Danheit, you did the right thing. Out here when dealing with other Police or Firefighters people will often give someone "Professional Courtesy" and that is what you did. As a retired Fire Captain I have been on the giving and receiving end a few times. Your project will turn out that much better for your kindness and patience. The world is better off with people like you in it.
Handfull 54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:03 PM   #24
danheit

Wow. I just got the nastiest email in the world from the guy that bought the truck. He received it today I guess. Called me a liar and a thief. Amazing. Thief cause the $20 chrome air cleaner got left in my garage after I took it off to pour gas down the carb to get it started, my bad, said I took the front hood ornament off the floor of the truck, which I had in that box of parts, and was all pissed at me cause it cost him an extra $100 for the tow truck to put it on the transport truck. Went on to call me a liar about the clear title, which he received, stating I misrepresented myself in the CL ad. Went back on CL to look at the ad, it says clear title, nothing about being in my name. Just wow. I don't even know if I should dignify his email with a response. Kinda want to call him up and blast him, but it won't solve anything. Now he wants me to pay more of my own $$ to ship him the extra parts. What do you guys think? I will admit that it was my bad that the parts weren't in the truck when the shipper came to pick it up, but in my defense, I had no idea the shipper was even coming, and I wasn't home when he picked it up. I even specifically asked the buyer to ensure I was home when it got picked up so we could avoid some of these problems. Should I spend the extra $100 or so to ship that crap to him?
Old 05-17-2012, 12:12 PM   #25
Handfull 54

I think you have done more than your fair share. This type of person is going to find something wrong with you no matter what you do. I would not spend another dime for this person. Just put his e-mails in the spam folder and start on your project. He would have probably got his stuff sent to him had he been decent ,but not now. Just my opinion.
Handfull 54 is offline   Reply With Quote