The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-14-2011, 05:53 AM   #26
81ShrtBox
MadMan

Re: Need help picking head unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81ShrtBox View Post
I have sold a **** load of Clarion NX500 and 409's with only one coming back. Seems the face just shorted out. They sent another one without a hassle. I've sold alot of Eclipse, Planet Audio, Jensen etc... so far the Clarion was the only one. But their lines change from year to year. Problems go and come from year to year. Used to do alot of Panasonic, they are ok but dont have alot of volume. Not enough voltage going out. I have seen more broken pioneers and Sony radios then I would like to. I have a Sony in my box that I had to eat. Dam Xplod junk
I have to recall my statement. I have to send back a Clarion NX500 this week. The control panel went 1st, switched the unit out and now it won't communicate with his Ipod.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-16-2011, 02:35 PM   #27
dmnall

Talking Re: Need help picking head unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan42 View Post
Cool that you got exactly what you wanted - I did most of mine, but I'm having problems with interference from the motor, I think it's the HEI. I have a Retrosound in it right now, but the zip drive doesn't work properly, and it really doesn't sound that great, having to battle with my flomasters (even with an amp). I will probably cut the dash when the time comes, it gives you a lot more options. I wish there was a decent car stereo retailer/installer up here; we have that Lombard's, and one on North Broadway called Atlas, but they are hit or miss. Your story re-inspires me, though.
Hey Dan,
If you take your time, it really is not that hard to install and after the install in my 94, I have learned enough to just do it myself from now on because why pay someone when it is really not that hard. What is nice is if you do not want to wait for stereo equipment to come in, is just go down to either of the Stereo shops and buy the equipment directly from them, you will pay more then buying online, however, you get it that same day. The hardest part I had to learn was mounting two amps in the 94 because multiple amps need a distribution block but other then that, it is relatively easy. As for cutting the dash to fit in newer stereos *seems like Taboo around here*, however, I am for it because there are soo many more options for quality head units. I am debating a full on Navi set up in my 68, but then again, I prefer single din stereos. I am going to cut the dash on my ac cab to mount head unit in, I did it on my 68 cab and since I am swapping over, I say why not, however, I am going to add a mono amp for the sub and upgrade to component speakers instead of the eclipse 6.5 inch speakers. As well as upgrade from Clarion 6 disc changer and cassette head unit, to an Alpine *more like a cda-117, 9887 or ida-305sbt*, an alpine mono amp and a set of the component alpine reference 6.5 speakers as well as a custom box with a 12 inch sub.

HTH,
Charlie
2008 Honda Civic Si *lease*

Last edited by dmnall; 03-16-2011 at 02:36 PM.
dmnall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 06:50 PM   #28
corbinc

If anyone is putting speakers in their 88-98 truck these are by far the best quality speaker you can buy. Furthermore, they fit very nicely into the factory hole without having to cut into the heating duct or make any dash modifications.

http://www.dealercostcaraudio.com/746.aspx

12-80 watt range, copolymer cones

They are extremely crisp, the only other 4 x 6 I have heard with similar quality is made by MB Quart.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:42 AM   #29
81ShrtBox
MadMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbinc View Post
If anyone is putting speakers in their 88-98 truck these are by far the best quality speaker you can buy. Furthermore, they fit very nicely into the factory hole without having to cut into the heating duct or make any dash modifications.

http://www.dealercostcaraudio.com/746.aspx

12-80 watt range, copolymer cones

They are extremely crisp, the only other 4 x 6 I have heard with similar quality is made by MB Quart.
I had Pheonix Gold speakers in my 93" Burban the 4x6 in the dash would have you squinting they were so loud and I cut the rear doors and installed 8" 3-way full range speakers