The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-22-2021, 09:50 PM   #1
wesmigletz

Will a 67-72 clutch fork work with an aluminum passenger car 11” bell housing?

My 67 C10 originally had a 4 spd. I have a TKO 5 spd I would like to install. Will a passenger car bell housing work with the truck’s clutch fork?
1964 Malibu SS
1957 Corvette
Pics
www.picturetrail.com/wesmigletz
wesmigletz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 11:04 PM   #2
burnin oil

Re: Will a 67-72 clutch fork work with an aluminum passenger car 11” bell housing?

I would source the correct stamped steel arm but an adjustable pivot stud would probably correct alot of sins. Factory there were a couple different pivot stud lengths.
burnin oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 09:13 AM   #3
wesmigletz

Re: Will a 67-72 clutch fork work with an aluminum passenger car 11” bell housing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnin oil View Post
I would source the correct stamped steel arm but an adjustable pivot stud would probably correct alot of sins. Factory there were a couple different pivot stud lengths.
Thank you burnin. Just to confirm, I want the clutch fork to match the bell housing, not the vehicle?
1964 Malibu SS
1957 Corvette
Pics
www.picturetrail.com/wesmigletz
wesmigletz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 09:39 AM   #4
geezer#99

Might find what you need on here.
Or ask them.

https://4speedconversions-com.3dcartstores.com/
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 02:20 PM   #5
burnin oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesmigletz View Post
Thank you burnin. Just to confirm, I want the clutch fork to match the bell housing, not the vehicle?
Typically. That said you can pretty much any stamped fork into the aluminum bellhousing. The only time I saw an issue was running a borg beck pressure plate instead of the usual diaphragm pressure plate. There was an application that had some hard bend on the fork and that is the one you don't want. This info will keep you good for a factory trans. I don't know if you need anything special for the trans swap part. As a little side info there are 3 different hieght throwout bearings. You may have to juggle them to get it right. From memory there is only 1/2" difference in the 3.
Old 09-23-2021, 05:19 PM   #6
AllGoNoShow

Previous owner had a random passenger car fork in my car with a Muncie M20-it put a weird bend in the homemade z-bar pushrod he made but everything worked fine.

I just swapped to an old Tremec TKO into my C10 that I had in another vehicle years ago- I also swapped in an old Lakewood scatter shield as well, but I used a stock truck arm. Made a new lower pushrod with heim joints and everything lines up perfect. Also pulled the upper pushrod and drilled out the worn out hole for the bracket that attaches the upper pushrod under the dash and put a bushing in there to remove the slop. I didn’t use an adjustable clutch fork pivot ball…i was comfortable with how everything was positioned. Haven’t driven it yet with the setup but it looks/feels 10 times better. I can’t seem to figure out how to add a picture on my phone but if you want I can when I get home.
Posted via Mobile Device
AllGoNoShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 08:00 PM   #7
Markuli

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesmigletz View Post
My 67 C10 originally had a 4 spd. I have a TKO 5 spd I would like to install. Will a passenger car bell housing work with the truck’s clutch fork?
Can't you just bolt the TKO up to the existing truck bell housing? The 67 had the correct diameter center hole for the TKO, when GM switched to the SM465 trans, the center hole got larger.
Markuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 09:03 PM   #8
burnin oil

I bet the bottom whole isn't tapped so they recommend the newer bell. A bolt works just fine. It could also have the wrong hole size and the directions don't mention the spacer bushing available from the aftermarket.