The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-13-2005, 08:32 PM   #1
ChargerBill

Question Converting a pickup using Blazer running gear OR should I part out?

I posted this in the Welcome section, but it was suggested that I post here too...maybe get some answers from you guys.

Well, it's been a while since I was on here last...a LONG while. I just received a "Happy Birthday" email from the board and figured it was a good time to come back over, so here I am. The timing is perfect too, as some new things have developed lately regarding my pickups. Looking for some info and advice - here goes:

I have a '56 Chevy Custom Cab big back window stepside pickup. It's currently about 5 different colors, but soon will be DP90 black. It has a '65 327 block with Camel Hump 202 heads, 11:1 compression, Mallory Dist, MSD Blaster II coil, Edelbrock 625cfm, Muncie M22 Rock Crusher, Centerforce stage 3 clutch, 12 bolt posi rear end with 11.5 inch tires out back. I just rebuilt the front axle (yeah, it's still the I-beam) and plan on putting discs up front this winter.

I also have a '78 K5 Blazer that was a Federal vehicle and is exempt from stringent California emissions...it still has to pass, but the tolerances are much more broad. It has a 6" Skyjacker leaf spring lift with 36" Mudders on 15" X 12" American Racing solid aluminum wheels, the NP205 transfer case mated to SM465 gearbox, a rebuilt front Dana 44 with new Warn hubs, new rotors/callipers/half shafts/bearings/I & O seals, etc., new front driveshaft, rebuilt rear driveshaft, Rancho RS9000 5 way shocks, Headman hedders connected to aluminized exhaust and Dynomax Mufflers, a '68 327 with Camel Humps at about 10.2:1 compression, new radiator, etc... The body is TRASH...rusting out and falling apart. Rocker panels gone, wheel wells you can see through, every panel has either major rust or irreporable damage.

Lastly (other than my 2002 Z71 Silverado, my '69 Charger and my coming-home-soon '67 Satellite) I have a '57 GMC Custom Cab big back window stepside original V8 pickup. It's red and the body is in pretty decent shape. The rear end is a sloppy mess, the tranny is a turbo 350 with a B&M Comp shifter and the current engine is a Mexican-rebuilt Kragen/Goodwrench 350 that sounds like a garbage disposal and runs even worse.

So, here is my dilemma: The K5 is just NOT going to sell with the body the way it is unless I find a true 4X4 nut who knows what it is and how hard they are to find and is willing to replace panels and sheetmetal. I figured the sheetmetal cost at around $800 from LMC truck and the time needed would be about 30 hrs...which is a far cry from the $7K I already have into the running gear and suspension (I only want $3K for the Blazer) I figure if I can't sell it, I may as well use it to make either the '56 or the '57 a very cool 4X4. The '57 GMC is rarer than the '56 Chevy by far, but the '56 is MUCH further along mechanically and I would hate to undo all that work...so now you see my dilemma.

So, to make my decision easier I was hoping for some insight. How hard is it to bolt the K5 axles under a 55 - 59 Chevy truck frame? How hard is it to mount the steering box, swap over the K5 spring hangers...basically swap the K5 running gear onto the '56 or '57 frame? Or, would it be easier to mount truck body onto the Blazer frame? I know neither will be easy, but which would be the less of two evils? OR, should I part out the K5 to get the money I want out of it? And if so, how hard are those parts to get rid of these days and are they fetching any decent money?

If anyone can give me some insight or advice that would be greatly appreciated. Until then, thanks for reading my rantings everyone...
2002 4X4 Silverado
1969 Dodge Charger
1968 Dodge Charger

Last edited by ChargerBill; 10-13-2005 at 09:48 PM.
ChargerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 11:00 PM   #2
sixty8c10
MY EX DRIVES A BROOM

why not mount the truck on the blazer's frame? you may have to lengthen the frame a bit to get the wheels centered in the wheel wells....but with that age of truck the wheelbases may be pretty close already. this swap would be much easier than trying to fab all the parts required to mount the running gear to old frame.

Building Nemo -1968 C10 Long Bed

FRED -1947 KB-2 International
sixty8c10 is offline   Reply With Quote