The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board > 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-10-2022, 07:36 AM   #201
richard2717
Equal opportunity joke ofender

Re: 71' Blazer Rust bucket build

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
Thats a very cool tool. I wonder if you could use some of those fittings on an "armstrong" hyd. press? Obviously you couldn't do the real heavy stuff but small pieces like you show maybe?
I have seen ads for the manual type shop presses for the press brake before but have not seen any for the hole punches. I don't see why they would not work other than the operator being worn out by the time they got done a dozen holes.
Dually Jams, OlBlue60, ScottH, Tommyboy24, Dujobo, Warbucket, 2003 Silverado, Notsolo, my90k5, 6t727t2, Special-K ,Jack_71C10, tabarcus,72blazer_mud_bogger,pwdcougar,RSavage,EricSean,1Rippen6,invicta455,tennaragtop71,arks, Kendal,Bennett68C10, Perpendicular, Chainsawman, McGeesCustomMinis,ShortbedClayton,longblue72,6768chevylover,Tim71,Travisarmenta,Ol' Drippy,fleetmitch,georgieb51,Dave,bcnya2,Dadsburb
https://paypal.me/6772GMtruckparts
Most women like the strong, silent type… Fortunately for me, my wife prefers the out-of-shape, mouthy type.
richard2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 10:46 AM   #202
jaros44sr

all I hear is crickets, anything new? Great work so far

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 11:27 AM   #203
richard2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaros44sr View Post
all I hear is crickets, anything new? Great work so far
Nothing happening at the moment. Been real busy with work related stuff. It is annoying but it actually pays the bills. Probably be another month on this job then I can get back to the program.

I was able to go up to Newark DE and buy an entire truck load of Blazer stuff. Most of it was new in the box. It gives me 2 sets of complete gaskets sets and a whole bunch of seat & interior related stuff so that will help with some of the money bleed After I get done figuring out what I need to keep I will put the rest up on the board for sale.
Dually Jams, OlBlue60, ScottH, Tommyboy24, Dujobo, Warbucket, 2003 Silverado, Notsolo, my90k5, 6t727t2, Special-K ,Jack_71C10, tabarcus,72blazer_mud_bogger,pwdcougar,RSavage,EricSean,1Rippen6,invicta455,tennaragtop71,arks, Kendal,Bennett68C10, Perpendicular, Chainsawman, McGeesCustomMinis,ShortbedClayton,longblue72,6768chevylover,Tim71,Travisarmenta,Ol' Drippy,fleetmitch,georgieb51,Dave,bcnya2,Dadsburb
Most women like the strong, silent type… Fortunately for me, my wife prefers the out-of-shape, mouthy type.
Old 11-16-2022, 09:35 AM   #204
richard2717

FINALLY got a chance to get back on this thing yesterday afternoon. does not seem like 5 months. Did not get a lot done but it is progress. Was able to get the surface rust cleaned up, prepped, sprayed with rust converter and the lower patch welded in. Still have to dress it down later today and get it covered. Will try to get the lower inner fender plates welded in as well and that will be all that is done to the front clip. Gotta get back to finishing up the front floor then I can at least get it set back on the frame to see how everything is sitting.

Attached Images

Old 12-17-2022, 06:29 PM   #205
richard2717

Another whole day of being able to work on this thing but man did it kick my ass for the most part. Got the front of the floor spot welded in place then tackled the lower A pillar on the passenger side. I ended up purchasing 3 of them before I got one that actually was made with enough flange to be able to drill holes and bolt it to the floor pan. up to this point everything was going smoothly. I figured I would go ahead and start temporarily bolting in the B pillar bracing to make sure everything was lined up correctly before proceeding too far. The original pcs had long 5/16" bolts (that you have to cut the inside of the B pillar to get to inside the truck) the new plates had 3/8" nuts welded to them instead of the original 5/16" so I had to go on the hunt for some 3/8" bolts that were long enough. Took an hour but finally found some. Once I got the correct bolts coming down from the top It lined up pretty nice but I had to take it back out in order to modify the lower floor riser hole. The hole must have been punched in the riser before the factory spot welded the floor pan to the riser and the rear lip of the pan covered half of the hole. I did not notice it until I already had it partially bolted in. After I got that all in I decided to test fit the torsion box. I finally deduced after way too long screwing with it that the front flange that welds to the front floor lip must have been dropped or just plain bent wrong from the start. I ended up having to bend it out towards the front of the truck almost 3/4" in order to be able to get the bolt in the rear cross member spot. It still does not sit as snug as the original did but I can live with it as long as everything fits in the end. Cant weld it in until I fit the original paint doors I sourced for it way back. Tomorrow I am going to figure out where I want to cut the patch pc that butts up to the back side of the quarter panel there at the B pillar. I still have yet to find a good quality outer lower B pillar patch. I have 2 here and both are stamped a bit different from each other and neither matches the original contours. Hoping to get it wrapped up tomorrow but i know my luck

Attached Images

Old 12-17-2022, 06:37 PM   #206
richard2717

Attached Images

Old 12-18-2022, 09:57 AM   #207
notsolo

Looking good Richard, Beautiful clean results. your deep in spaghetti junction, floor, inner rocker, torsion box, out rocker, end caps. I am shocked your 50 yr old Metal puzzle pieces don't align, going to be sweet, good things take time... Cheers and Merry Christmas...Ed
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 03:38 PM   #208
richard2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsolo View Post
Looking good Richard, Beautiful clean results. your deep in spaghetti junction, floor, inner rocker, torsion box, out rocker, end caps. I am shocked your 50 yr old Metal puzzle pieces don't align, going to be sweet, good things take time... Cheers and Merry Christmas...Ed
Thanks for the encouragement Ed. I wanted to work on it all day today but that is not happening. I bought a new welding helmet and I don't like it at all. It does not seem to go instant dark as soon as the arc is struck and I must have gotten an arc flash while welding yesterday. Woke up with bad eye pain in my left eye as well as an overall bad headache so just taking it easy today. Already lost my hearing, can't afford to lose sight as well. It would be hard to drive this pig with no sight.

Merry Christmas to you as well.
Old 12-19-2022, 03:52 PM   #209
richard2717

My eye feels much better today so not sure if it was a weld flash or not. They usually last a few days.

While out in the shop this morning I made the choice to use the rust free rear floor that I went to pittsburg and picked up several years back. I will have to modify the rear cross member since it is a floor from a 71 but should be pretty easy to put the notches in it. I am hoping that is the only difference.
My dilemma was that I hung it up on the wall several years ago 16' up. I had a helper and a man lift at the time and nothing was in the way. I got tired of the manlift being in the way so I sold it. My helper passed away from cancer almost a year ago so it is just me now. What to do safely , or at least as safe as one person can. I backed my dually in to the shop as close as possible, rigged up a strap and used a clevis to attach it directly to the boom. I still had to use a ratchet strap to take some of the slack out of the lifting strap so the boom would not hit the ceiling. I have a wired remote control for the boom so was able to safely lower it to the ground level. I forgot how nice the floor was. It originally came from Sharpie out in Wyoming before i got it from PA.

Attached Images

Old 12-26-2022, 07:03 PM   #210
best view

If you’re going to drive it this summer you better get your ass in gear 120 days left
best view is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 11:39 AM   #211
richard2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by best view View Post
If you’re going to drive it this summer you better get your ass in gear 120 days left
Been in bed sick since last Friday and this $7 per gallon K1 for the heaters is kicking me in the budget source
Old 01-05-2023, 04:04 PM   #212
richard2717

Had a job to do up in Frederick MD this morning and was able to meet with Greg (bcnya2) and grabbed the set of NOS rear tubs he had for sale. Other than tires I think I have everything needed to finish putting this thing back together. My son and his family will be up for a visit next week for a week so hoping to get him to help me with a few things while he is here.

Attached Images

Old 01-05-2023, 08:31 PM   #213
jaros44sr

Nice progress, keep it going

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 03:57 PM   #214
richard2717

quick question. I have not added the gear oil to the transmission, T case or rears since putting them back together. It is all inside the shop, but should I be worried about the insides starting to rust? There was a light coat of oil on everything during assembly but I never got around to filling any of it.
Old 03-11-2023, 08:52 AM   #215
68panelman

I would fill them up Richard, why take a chance on your rebuild, especially if your shop isn't always temperature maintained, we get some big temp swings this time of year and condensation could be an issue.
68panelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 06:35 PM   #216
richard2717

hard to believe been a year since I have had time to work on this. Scored this on Marketplace today. the spare tire carrier was welded in place but I was able to cut it loose without damage. It appears to be an original bolt that they welded to the stand, but either way it will get removed. Next warm day I will fire up the blasting pot and get it back in shape. Been busy cleaning up shop so I can get back to the metal work here soon. I have been saying it for 10 years or more now, but I hope to drive it this spring. It used to be if I had the time, I needed money or vice versa. Now it seems it is the energy needed
Attached Images