The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-09-2023, 11:42 PM   #1
Ironhorse

Muffler Replacement - Stock?

Would anyone know what is a currently offered replacement and stock sounding muffler for a '99 Tahoe with 5.7 Vortec and 2WD. What ever muffler is currently on my recently purchased daily driver is the most annoying muffler I have ever had the dis-pleasure to listen to. The drone at any speed is just obnoxious to listen to. It's not loud but the constant drone is just too much.

Not sure what is under it now but next week will find a shop I can get it on a lift to take a look at it. Used to be that a good Walker muffler was a decent replacement for an original stock sound. Don't want a "performance" muffler, just a decent suitable muffler with a smooth quiet sound that is not so annoying at cruise speeds or driving on the streets in town. As mentioned it's a daily driver, and currently the drone from this muffler is very irritating to listen to.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 12:11 AM   #2
Just call me Sean

Re: Muffler Replacement - Stock?

I bought one from AutoZone and threw it on, stock type replacement. It's quiet.
Just call me Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 08:51 AM   #3
95 S_Trucker

Walker 21504 if it's a 2-door. 21289 if it's a 4 door. That will be as close to factory sound without getting one from GM.
95 S_Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 11:08 AM   #4
special-K
Special Order

Yeah, I'd go to Walker for OEM design exhaust. I'm looking to improve my Suburban's exhaust system. It currently has a Flowmaster 1 into 2 I installed when I had dual tailpipes run out behind the rear tires. All that custom work is gone now, straight out the muffler now. The sound doesn't bother me. I don't heard/feel a drone, but I know that drone you're talking about and it bugs me. I'm considering buying a whole new OEM type Walker system to be practical. Not sure how long I'll be in this thing. What I'd do if I wasn't considering being more practical (I'm getting old ) is a custom full dual exhaust using Cadillac, medium duty truck or Quiet Flow mufflers. If I go stock single exhaust it will be the first stock exhaust I've even installed or left on a vehicle in my life.

I have a new neighbor not so close to me who for whatever odd reason starts and idles his '90s pickup about every day for a long time before driving and more often he never even goes anywhere. He has started it at 5am and let it idle till 8am before shutting off. His exhaust is louder than stock like mine but it has the most annoying steadily fluctuating drone at idle that I can feel in my head and chest as bad as hear. ong ong ong ong... My brain gets used to it so it's just there. My hearing will create a similar sound sometimes, like heavy equipment building a hiway or development in the distance. When he shuts it off it's an instant relief. It's very quite here and this guy is making me unhappy about his noise pollution he brought with him

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 12:34 AM   #5
Ironhorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 S_Trucker View Post
Walker 21504 if it's a 2-door. 21289 if it's a 4 door. That will be as close to factory sound without getting one from GM.
Thanks for posting those part numbers. My Tahoe is a 4 door, 2wd. Will look at either Amazon or Rock Auto and see what they have. Also will check with our local O'reilly's and see what they offer.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Old 03-13-2023, 07:00 PM   #6
Richard

Have heard good things about the AP/Eastern mufflers on Rock Auto. 1/3rd to 1/4 price of the Walkers. https://www.rockauto.com/en/tools/ex...uffler,1001312
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 06:22 PM   #7
speedygonzales

why ask the question

Wow! why even ask the question. Wanted close to OEM quiet examples and have a few from actual users but decides he's going to look elsewhere. Then why ask?

SMH.
Old 03-29-2023, 08:21 PM   #8
Ironhorse

Re: why ask the question

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedygonzales View Post
Wow! why even ask the question. Wanted close to OEM quiet examples and have a few from actual users but decides he's going to look elsewhere. Then why ask?

SMH.
I asked the question because I value the board member's here who have previous experience when buying parts and utilizing such parts. Fit, quality, price and perceived value for parts used all enter into the equation.

I mentioned checking with Amazon, O'reilys and Rock Auto in reference to the OEM quiet muffler numbers and options provided by several members to decide which business would be my best option for availability, shipping costs and price total required. Sure am glad you can read my mind and decide you know what is best for me and my circumstances. Totally in awe of your physic powers!
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks

Last edited by Ironhorse; 03-29-2023 at 08:33 PM.
Old 03-30-2023, 04:40 PM   #9
OutlawDrifter

Another vote for Walker Quiet-Flow SS mufflers.

Instagram @aceshighspeedshop
OutlawDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote