The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-19-2023, 06:48 PM   #1
kev2809
low n' slo

"Upgrade" tail light sockets

I figured i would share how i swapped out the rear light sockets. I was having issues with the bulbs getting a nice grip inside the stock housing, so i found a better solution, at least for me. Maybe this will help someone else.

I found the video on youtube and basically copied it, with the exception of soldering a ground wire in for extra assurance. Heres the video i used:

https://youtu.be/ANbzZ7HUgn0

These are the sockets i went with:

Brake/signal/taillight
https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-4122-85803.aspx

Reverse
https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-22861-85806.aspx

Both of these use the stock style bulb and are easily found on amazon or your local parts store, and cheap.

So, first step is to get the stock style sockets out. I used a flat head screwdriver, and chisel, prying up on the flange and also banging it from the side to break it loose. Go all the way around and it will eventually pop out. After getting the socket out, my back tin was a little warped from the prying, so i hammered it flat in the vise. After flattening it, open up the hole with a step drill bit, to 3/4" size.
Attached Images

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__
,.,,,.,.,,.,|_O _______ O_]

Last edited by kev2809; 02-19-2023 at 07:04 PM.
kev2809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 06:53 PM   #2
kev2809
low n' slo

Re: "Upgrade" tail light sockets

Once the hole is sized up, i cleaned around the hole with a small wire wheel to give the new sockets fresh metal to bite on. After having the bucket ready to go, place the new socket in the vice, and slight bend the tabs inwards, to slide in the bucket hole. Set the bucket on top of the socket, and using some needle nose pliers, you can bend the first 2 tabs to hold it. I used the mounting hole (just like the video) to grab onto for these 2 tabs. After you get the first 2 bent, the rest you can flatten down with the screwdriver or chisel. Goes pretty easy, just make sure the hole is reamed good and the tin is flat. The tabs aren't very strong, so if its bending over an uneven surface they can break (one of mine broke on the reverse bucket).
Attached Images

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__

Last edited by kev2809; 02-19-2023 at 07:05 PM.
Old 02-19-2023, 06:56 PM   #3
kev2809
low n' slo

Once the sockets are in, you can leave them just like this and wire them into the stock wiring. I wanted a little extra grounding, so i soldered in a wire on the housing of the socket. I know, they aren't pretty, but I tugged them good and they stayed. The reverse sockets have a boot that can be slid off, and back on when finished. The taillight one did not, so i taped up the socket when finished. I then made the wiring harness that will ground them. Simple single wire that i soldered 2 wires to the end of that reaches both the reverse bucket and taillight bucket, making them both unplug on their own in case they need to be removed. I tested the taillight socket to find out which is brake/turn and which is tail lamp. I marked the brake/signal one with a piece of electrical tape to help with the wiring to the truck later. If you dont do this beforehand, its not a big deal. The back wire housing can push out and be flipped 180 degrees if your wires are wrong. They are both black so i thought it would help if i found out which was which before starting anything.
Attached Images

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__

Last edited by kev2809; 02-19-2023 at 07:06 PM.
Old 02-19-2023, 07:00 PM   #4
kev2809
low n' slo

I ordered a connector kit from amazon a while back when I did the harness for my LS swap, so i had tons of connectors leftover. I made one wire connectors for the ground, and 2 wire connectors for the taillight plugs. The reverse hot wire i soldered in the original plug and used that connector. I have a ground strip in the back that i used for my air ride relays, fuel pump, and just extra body grounds, so I connected the ground wires from the light sockets to this. If you dont have a ground strip, you can use any clean grounding surface you can find nearby.
Attached Images

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__

Last edited by kev2809; 02-19-2023 at 07:10 PM.
Old 02-19-2023, 07:04 PM   #5
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Good write up. Shouldn't have any problem with these tail lights for another 50 years =)

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 07:09 PM   #6
kev2809
low n' slo

And thats pretty much it. I tested everything and they all work great. I know this might be overkill, but it worked for me and hopefully can help out others that are having issues...and only took about half a day. Any questions, feel free to ask!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
Good write up. Shouldn't have any problem with these tail lights for another 50 years =)
Thanks! thats the plan anyways lol

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__
Old 02-19-2023, 07:12 PM   #7
kev2809
low n' slo

crap, just realized i put this in the suburban section. can any of the moderators move it to the truck section? we dont get a lot of traffic in here, no love!

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__
Old 02-19-2023, 07:26 PM   #8
BAD1916

Thanks for the write up. At the Mustang shop I work at the biggest problem we have with bulbs anymore is that they don’t seem to be made correctly. Old bulbs will go in and twist and fit tight but new bulbs don’t want to seat correctly and when they do seat they tend to wobble more than old bulbs do. It happens all the time, frustrating as hell.
BAD1916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 08:39 PM   #9
kev2809
low n' slo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAD1916 View Post
Thanks for the write up. At the Mustang shop I work at the biggest problem we have with bulbs anymore is that they don’t seem to be made correctly. Old bulbs will go in and twist and fit tight but new bulbs don’t want to seat correctly and when they do seat they tend to wobble more than old bulbs do. It happens all the time, frustrating as hell.
yep, I think that's more of the problem than anything. mine were wobbling around and wouldn't hold at all unless I held it myself.

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__
Old 02-19-2023, 10:21 PM   #10
BAD1916

It’s a shame that we can’t even get something as little as decent quality bulbs anymore. Thanks again for the write up so if it ends up being an issue there are some instructions.👍🏻
BAD1916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 09:24 AM   #11
HO455
Post Whore

Great job. Enjoy your trouble free lights. And it's okay to post in the Suburban section.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote