The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-22-2010, 09:48 PM   #1
wwotr

Auto shippers......

My Wife & I will be relocating to Southern California (High Desert),
from Northern California. I was looking into Auto Shipping Quotes,
and contacted DAS Auto Shippers, as they had handeld a Vehicle Transport, for us, about 10 years ago.

Now if you've shipped a Vehicle, you know that you get charged EXTRA for:
Enclosed Carrier
Door To Door Delivery
Upper Birth/Compartment
Exact Delivery Times

So I called them up to get a more exacting Quote, then their Website could give me, because my Truck has 4" or lower clearance in the Front.

So they told me it would be a 3rd party Carrier that is Bonded/Insured through them.
Now because my Truck is lowered, they have to use a,
"Single Transport with a Hoist".

So my Truck will be the ONLY one (ie Single Transport...DUH).
This company only provides "Door to Door" transport,
so no dropping off at a Terminal 100 miles away (and the same picking it up).

Quote was approx $856.00.
Now compared with other companies, when you factored in Door To Door, Upper Birth, Enclosed Trailer, my Estimates were running....
$1100.00 - $1400.00, so under $900.00 is a STEAL!

Just thought I'd share.
back in November of 2011.
I don't visit the site much anymore,
but please feel free,
to drop me a private message.
RIP...."RATIKLE"
wwotr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:08 PM   #2
Fitz
Account Suspended

Re: Auto shippers......

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwotr View Post
My Wife & I will be relocating to Southern California (High Desert),
from Northern California. I was looking into Auto Shipping Quotes,
and contacted DAS Auto Shippers, as they had handeld a Vehicle Transport, for us, about 10 years ago.
Quote was approx $856.00.
Now compared with other companies, when you factored in Door To Door, Upper Birth, Enclosed Trailer, my Estimates were running....
$1100.00 - $1400.00, so under $900.00 is a STEAL!
Just thought I'd share.
Yeah, boy it's a steal! The "broker" you spoke with takes his 10% and sends Joe Schumkatella, a third party transporter to pick up your truck, but your contract is with the broker not the people who took your valuable truck. Will you see it again? Maybe, but if it's damaged the trucker will say 'we don't insure" and the broker will tell you "not my problem". Here's another point of view for you to think about.

One of the gents I work with recently relocated from Woburn Mass to Tucson. He hired a 'broker" and guess what? His fully restored matching numbers 1967 396 Chevelle was dropped off at a wrecking yard in Indiana by the transporter and left. Six months later, after working through the every law enforccement agency he could find without help he finally obtained the address of the people who had his car. He rented an auto transport trailer and drove to indiana to recover his car. When he got there he was pointed in the direction of the stripped shell by the owner of the yard who said the differential, trans and engine had been sold to recover "storage fees"! Local and state law enforcement said the owner of the yard had filed an abandoned vehicle claim and was totally within the law when he stripped the vehicle!!

10 years ago the guy who moved you may have been honest or maybe you just got lucky. You're relying on a third party you have never met to deliver your truck.
I think you are playing russian roulette with 5 chambers loaded, my friend!
Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:19 PM   #3
wwotr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
Yeah, boy it's a steal! The "broker" you spoke with takes his 10% and sends Joe Schumkatella, a third party transporter to pick up your truck, but your contract is with the broker not the people who took your valuable truck. Will you see it again? Maybe, but if it's damaged the trucker will say 'we don't insure" and the broker will tell you "not my problem". Here's another point of view for you to think about.

One of the gents I work with recently relocated from Woburn Mass to Tucson. He hired a 'broker" and guess what? His fully restored matching numbers 1967 396 Chevelle was dropped off at a wrecking yard in Indiana by the transporter and left. Six months later, after working through the every law enforccement agency he could find without help he finally obtained the address of the people who had his car. He rented an auto transport trailer and drove to indiana to recover his car. When he got there he was pointed in the direction of the stripped shell by the owner of the yard who said the differential, trans and engine had been sold to recover "storage fees"! Local and state law enforcement said the owner of the yard had filed an abandoned vehicle claim and was totally within the law when he stripped the vehicle!!

10 years ago the guy who moved you may have been honest or maybe you just got lucky. You're relying on a third party you have never met to deliver your truck.
I think you are playing russian roulette with 5 chambers loaded, my friend!
Damn Fitz....your a "Buzzkillington".
I'm sure there are tons of Horror Stories, just as there are sucsessful ones.
#1) I have "Agreed Value Insurance" so even if it DOES end up in a Salvage Yard, I still get my Full Value.
#2) My Wife works in Law Enforcment and I'm sure I'll get her cooperation should "something" happen.

(Sheesh...and I though I was a Negitive person).
but please feel free,
RIP...."RATIKLE"
Old 10-22-2010, 10:22 PM   #4
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

There was an on-going post on here within the past couple of years where a member in the military had shipped his truck which sustained damage. The poster was going through all kinds of hell to get anyone to admit responsibility and accept his claim for damages. Then, it got to the point that there was maybe the 3rd-party issues and I seem to recall the USGovernment was also involved.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:53 PM   #5
wwotr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevLoRay View Post
There was an on-going post on here within the past couple of years where a member in the military had shipped his truck which sustained damage. The poster was going through all kinds of hell to get anyone to admit responsibility and accept his claim for damages. Then, it got to the point that there was maybe the 3rd-party issues and I seem to recall the USGovernment was also involved.
OK how about this...........

If anyone has used an Auto Shipper, Please post the Name of the Company and any Pros/Cons you experienced.
but please feel free,
RIP...."RATIKLE"
Old 10-22-2010, 11:14 PM   #6
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

I would think that someone would ask about insurance and the "what if's" prior to signing a contract. In fact I would specifically ask the broker those questions and ask to see where in the contract it specifically states their responsibility and the responsibility of the "third party" if one is involved, about the limit and scope of their responsibility in those cases. although I am not from Missouri, you will still have to show me!

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 11:20 PM   #7
wwotr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde65 View Post
I would think that someone would ask about insurance and the "what if's" prior to signing a contract. In fact I would specifically ask the broker those questions and ask to see where in the contract it specifically states their responsibility and the responsibility of the "third party" if one is involved, about the limit and scope of their responsibility in those cases. although I am not from Missouri, you will still have to show me!
Clyde65,
Absolutely agree with you.
My original post was more about a great deal on the
"Door To Door Service on a Single Carrier". I didn't think I had to explain the WHOLE PROCESS, of checking their Insurance and Bonding with DAS.
That's pretty much an unsaid rule with ANY shipper.
but please feel free,
RIP...."RATIKLE"
Old 10-22-2010, 11:28 PM   #8
carnuts07

I think if you've had good service with them and you're not worried go for it, my dad had an all origional 63 belair transported from wyoming and I had my grand prix transported from north dakota to MN all of them without problems
Posted via Mobile Device
carnuts07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 11:31 PM   #9
wwotr

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnuts07 View Post
I think if you've had good service with them and you're not worried go for it, my dad had an all origional 63 belair transported from wyoming and I had my grand prix transported from north dakota to MN all of them without problems
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks for the input carnuts07.....
but please feel free,
RIP...."RATIKLE"

Last edited by wwotr; 10-22-2010 at 11:32 PM.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:45 PM   #10
jcis4me

Aloha
I used American Eagle Transport 1 214 883 2582 out of Texas, shipped my 72 from Florida to Long beach Ca. for $900, $1800 total for over 4000 miles. in one piece but with a minor bit of damage that they are paying for the repairs. And it was not enclosed but because it was the first vehicle they picked up it was placed on the top of the truck all the way to CA. The "Broker" IS responsible for the truck even though he takes his "10" percent and runs. They were in contact with me the entire trip. that is across the country you are only going 400 miles from northern CA to Southern CA? They want almost as much as I paid for across country?
Sounds a bit too fishy for me.
American Eagle is a husband wife team that works for a broker but I think if you gave them a call they might be able to work something out with you.
Or you can contact . . .
Reggie Collings
American Auto Transport
reggie@autotransportaat.com
www.autotransportaat.com
Toll Free: (888) 655-8840
Local: 954-745-8939
Fax: (954) 745-8958
Oh and by the way my truck is lowered 4-6 and no problems.
Aloha
Marty
jcis4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 11:59 PM   #11
wwotr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcis4me View Post
Aloha
I used American Eagle Transport 1 214 883 2582 out of Texas, shipped my 72 from Florida to Long beach Ca. for $900, $1800 total for over 4000 miles. in one piece but with a minor bit of damage that they are paying for the repairs. And it was not enclosed but because it was the first vehicle they picked up it was placed on the top of the truck all the way to CA. The "Broker" IS responsible for the truck even though he takes his "10" percent and runs. They were in contact with me the entire trip. that is across the country you are only going 400 miles from northern CA to Southern CA? They want almost as much as I paid for across country?
Sounds a bit too fishy for me.
American Eagle is a husband wife team that works for a broker but I think if you gave them a call they might be able to work something out with you.
Or you can contact . . .
Reggie Collings
American Auto Transport
reggie@autotransportaat.com
www.autotransportaat.com
Toll Free: (888) 655-8840
Local: 954-745-8939
Fax: (954) 745-8958
Oh and by the way my truck is lowered 4-6 and no problems.
Aloha
Marty
Marty,

Thanks much for the info!!!
I had 10 Auto Transport companies vie for my business. They ranged from $440.00 up to $1400.00.
But out of those 10, at least 8 of them were going to "Farm it out" to a 3rd Party, and I'm not to comfortable with that.
But DAS took good care of me, but I'm still open to options.
For me personally, ANYTHING under $1K is good with me.
I'm not looking for a "Deal", i'm looking for caring compasionate Shippers that treat MY Truck, like it was their own.
but please feel free,
RIP...."RATIKLE"
Old 10-23-2010, 12:01 AM   #12
yob2kanobe

Wow I think Id find a driver for it and fly him back, or better yet rent a car trailer and tow it yourself.
yob2kanobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 01:09 AM   #13
AusTx68

Quote:
Originally Posted by yob2kanobe View Post
or better yet rent a car trailer and tow it yourself.
Exactly what I was thinking. No one will take better care of it than you!
Old 10-23-2010, 08:06 AM   #14
cam.man67

Maybe I'm not thinking correctly, but why not just drive the truck the distance? I've driven from San Francisco to Washington State in one day, it just doesn't seem to be worth the hassle of using a debatably reliable trucking company to get it there, when your truck is perfectly driveable.
1989 Toyota Pickup 22re, auto, 3.73
cam.man67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:33 AM   #15
stich626
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam.man67 View Post
Maybe I'm not thinking correctly, but why not just drive the truck the distance? I've driven from San Francisco to Washington State in one day, it just doesn't seem to be worth the hassle of using a debatably reliable trucking company to get it there, when your truck is perfectly driveable.
x2
900-1400 buys alot of gas
stich626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 09:08 AM   #16
bigguy69
dazed and confused

Old 10-23-2010, 09:23 AM   #17
Bishops Trucks
KEEP ON TRUCKIN'

I used DAS a few years ago to ship a truck from Nebraska to Virginia. They used a 3rd party shipper on both ends to get it to my house. I recieved it without any issues. I believe I paid right around $950.00 for that shipment.

'71 Cheyenne Z71 / LT1 & 4-Speed SWB K/10 Father/Son Project
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l689JKXPnA
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php
"LIVIN' FREE FOREVER"
Bishops Trucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:32 AM   #18
Ironangel

It must be nice to have a grand to lay down to move a (running?)(drivable?) truck 400 miles. I guess my question is, why not move it yourself?
71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"

Last edited by Ironangel; 10-23-2010 at 10:33 AM.
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:36 AM   #19
GMCBubba

i went through uship.com and got shipped for 650 from NC to san antonio. it was a single vehicle trailer. one guy shipping operation, seemed very honest and took care of my vehicle. granted, my truck isn't a show piece and i didn't have TOO much to loose. i used him two weeks later to haul an complete engine for me from dallas to san antonio (i have no usable truck to do it myself)
Old 10-23-2010, 10:52 AM   #20
rcrahn

Roger,
Give a call to Kiwi's Karriers 1-800-762-7973. They work the entire west coast. I have not used them personally but I sold a vehicle that was picked up by them. Looked like a professional operation. Recently I also called them for a quote to transport a project (not running) from S. CA (Lancaster) to San Jose, (about 325 miles) and was quoted $350, which is very reasonable.
Hope this helps....
rcrahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 01:28 AM   #21
wwotr

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrahn View Post
Roger,
Give a call to Kiwi's Karriers 1-800-762-7973. They work the entire west coast. I have not used them personally but I sold a vehicle that was picked up by them. Looked like a professional operation. Recently I also called them for a quote to transport a project (not running) from S. CA (Lancaster) to San Jose, (about 325 miles) and was quoted $350, which is very reasonable.
Hope this helps....
Thanks rcrahn.
The reason I'm not driving it, is because I don't think it will make it that far without having an issue.
I have Movers, My Wife has a new Job and I'm having all my Animals Transported by a Pet Transport.
I have a lot on the line and I need to be at THAT end to accept everyone.
YES I do have a grand to spend on Auto Shipping.
It was factored into my Budget. I've worked almost 4 1/2 years to get to this point in my life and it's one of those "Pleasures" that I've looked forward to, for quite some time.

P.S. I just checked out "Kiwi Karriers".
They are a small Mom and Pop Orginization, but there are far too many,
"Items that they are not responsible for".
They may be a great price but they cannot gaurentee a delivery date, stating it could be 7-14 days, (but sometimes quicker than 7 Days).
Too much hanging out there for me to use them because there a good price.
I don't mind paying more for the piece of mind thast the larger Carrier Companies give me.
But I truly appreciate you letting me know about them.
but please feel free,
RIP...."RATIKLE"

Last edited by wwotr; 10-24-2010 at 01:39 AM.
Old 10-24-2010, 01:48 AM   #22
70jnktrk

Fedex Custom Critical http://customcritical.fedex.com/ Flawless for our move!
70jnktrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 01:54 AM   #23
wwotr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70jnktrk View Post
Fedex Custom Critical http://customcritical.fedex.com/ Flawless for our move!
Details of "Your Move"?????
but please feel free,
RIP...."RATIKLE"

Last edited by wwotr; 10-24-2010 at 01:59 AM.
Old 10-24-2010, 02:18 AM   #24
70jnktrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwotr View Post
Details of "Your Move"?????
car was picked up on time as planned and transported to Arizona...straight forward, outstanding communication...not much more to it that!!!!
70jnktrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 11:47 AM   #25
7dguy

I used a company called US auto transport a few years ago...spent $1,100 shipping a Nova from Alabama to CA thinking I did really well for myself. Took me 6 weeks to get the car AFTER left the seller to get my car. The original trucking company went out of business, new company owner found the car (with others) on the trailer in a Walmart parking lot somewhere near Nashville. Carr arrived (after being shipped enclosed) with so much dust I didn't recognize it and it and a ding on the hood that wasn't there when I paid for it. I used Fedex the next time, successfully so, at about twice the cost per mile. Shipping is nothing to mess with IMHO if you have an automobile you care about.
7dguy is offline   Reply With Quote