The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-13-2021, 01:08 PM   #26
burnin oil

Re: Strange noise has me stumped.

Glad you found it and hopefully a new part gets ya back to enjoying the truck. A couple of months ago i was at my local mom and pop parts store talking about Timken bearings. He said that the last domestic production had halted and they were all from over seas now. He was willing to get me Timkens but recommended other brands over them now. He would have made alot more off the Timkens so financially he didn't gain on his recommendations. At this point I try to go with SKF when available but you still may get a surprise in those. I got a SKF bearing kit that had on stamped Link Belt.
burnin oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 02:28 PM   #27
Sheepdip

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmech View Post
See post number 5
Lol...also post 7

we are glad you located it sometimes the thought.....no I replaced that is the culprit.
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 05:55 PM   #28
burnin oil

Post 14 and 18 he messed with the center support bearing and made mention of no witness marks. Sometimes bad parts hide. I just changed a bad tie rod that looked good. No wobble but on about the 20th rock of the steering wheel I saw it slide straight up but still no wobble. In this truck it was tied straight to the other spindle so the vertical movement changed toe in. Heck the alignment shop didn't catch it either and that wasn't even 1000 miles ago.
burnin oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 05:16 PM   #29
Mike_The_Grad

You had it kwmech. And yes the "Its brand new, it cant be bad." Mentality can definitely steer you in a different direction. Here's an update. I relocated the center support bearing mounting location to the upper location. All seemed well since then. Until lastnight. Driving home about 20 miles I noticed a howling sound from the rear. Suspension has been kinda squeaky back there lately. Not sure if it's the spare tire or what but I'm gonna crawl under there today and hook my peepers under there. I'm thinking the mounting location was correct but because I reused the original grease shield versus what they gave me with the bearing is why I was getting the noise. So I'm gonna just do the deed and pull the driveshaft out. I'm just going to grab my angle grinder and take a blade thickness off of the grease shield to clearance it from the bearing. Not interested in disassembling the whole thing and pulling the bearing and staking in new one. Also give me a chance to check condition of u joints. They are spicer life series non-greaseable u joints. Also check out bed mounting bolts. Last year when I removed the whole box to clean the frame and paint and undercoat the box, I placed some squares of radiator rubber hose where the bed bolts to the frame. Goal was to try and calm down the dang squeaking. It worked for about a year. I'm sure that fully loaded 6.7 powerstroke diesel motor I drove 150 miles for my buddy didnt help the rubber cushions. I think it weighed in at 1,000 lbs. Or the 500 lb. Baby grand piano I moved for another friend a couple of weeks ago didnt help either. All that, exhaust leak, find oil leak from the engine, replace the torque converter cover, and maybe install the rest of my stainless bed bolt kit was more than enough to guilt me into having to crawl under there and handle some business. I'll post back with what I find and how it goes.

Instagram: Mike_The_Grad
Mike_The_Grad is offline   Reply With Quote