The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-16-2009, 10:22 PM   #1
noonzor

quick questions!!

So ive got a 1969 SWB C10 in the planning stage right now and this is what im thinking/looking at.

1. Engine -- Supercharged LS1 -- anybody running one? how do they like it? what kind of hp/torque you getting out of it?

2. Transmission -- thinkin 2spd powerglide, what would you reccomend? What are people using? How do you like it?

3. Suspension -- http://www.ridetech.com/products/Che...-1329-928.html
Thats the kit im looking at, the truck is going to be a street legal sleeper. So I dont want to go all out race and kill the ride quality, but at the same time I want something thats not gonna transfer all my power into shifting bending and breaking. Air bagging isnt a must, ive just always wanted to do it!

4. Rearend -- keeping the 12bolt, thinking 4.11 with a posi, 33spline axles.

Please feel free to share your opinions and ideas!!

Thankyou,

Kyle N
noonzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 01:16 AM   #2
Super73

Re: quick questions!!

I would put that 7k in to a cage and different suspension. You should have no problem going mid 11's with a blown LS1 and you need a cage at 11.49.

I would not decide on a gear until you know what RPM your going to go to and what tire your going to run.

Tell us more about your goals, what you want to do with the truck. Street truck? Drag truck? Mix?
1/4---10.38 @ 126.97----9.24 @ 142.49
Super73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 01:47 AM   #3
noonzor

The goal is to be able to run 11's, but still drive around town for cruises. Its not going to be a long haul highway truck, but I would like to be able to drive it to the track(bout 45min drive), swap on some slicks, and run hard!!

If i have to pick a direction, i'd go with more race. I love drag racing, and could always pick up a trailer to pull with my 98 chevy. But being able to drive around town is an absolute must. I had to trailer my last car everywhere, and it just turned into a huge pain in the ass loading and unloading all the time.

Im hoping with proper gearing, large rad and trans cooler and proper suspension ill be able to achieve the truck im picturing in my head haha.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:01 AM   #4
Super73

Ok, so you want to have your cake and eat it too We all do..

Why not run a 4L80E? Sure it's about 100lbs heavier than a glide, but, driving it around town witthe 2.48 first vs a 1.76/1.82 it's going to be easier to get moving and there will be less heat in the trans. Next point here is it has a lock up converter so when you do drive to the track, again, less heat and not that it matters but better mileage with the OD.

Why do you want a spool in a street ride? With sticky tires it put's more stress on the axles, doesn't turn well and in a lot of respect isn't all that safe.

If your goal is 11's with a blown LS1, I think it' fairly easily obtainable even at say 4,200lbs with an OD trans and posi. Heck, I went 11.9x with a bunch of 12.0's at 3,840 and the truck was not set up perfect. For NA it really would need a 4.88 gear and it only had 3.73's. Could use a pinch more converter ect.. I think if it was optimized, it could have went 11.6-11.7 with just a few changes.
1/4---10.38 @ 126.97----9.24 @ 142.49
Super73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 02:56 PM   #5
noonzor

cool man, yeah, like i said this is all speculation and planning right now. so i will definitly look into the 4L80E.

as for the spool im not sure where i said it but im NOT interested in a spool. i had a spool on my mustang i used to drag and its NOT street friendly haha.

Thanks for the tips though!!!

Kyle N.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:41 PM   #6
71Dragtruck

I'm pretty sure NHRA tech doesn't allow air bags in the fron't. I Don't have my book handy right now but if I recall right it has to be spring type.
Getz Oilfield Consulting
Hard Candy Customs
71Dragtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 06:43 PM   #7
noonzor

good tip! never even thought about that actually. The track out here is an IHRA track, but i cant imagine the rules being all that different.

Thanks!!

Kyle N.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:46 PM   #8
71Dragtruck

Ya it has to do with if they deflate when going down the track.
Getz Oilfield Consulting
Hard Candy Customs
71Dragtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:03 PM   #9
noonzor

yeah no thats totally a good point thanks for reminding me man!!
im consulting my rule book right now to see what else in my plans may be comprimised haha. well, i guess its back to the 4link then. anyone recomend a good 4link kit?
Old 08-17-2009, 10:38 PM   #10
Rodms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super73 View Post
Ok, so you want to have your cake and eat it too We all do..

Why not run a 4L80E? Sure it's about 100lbs heavier than a glide, but, driving it around town witthe 2.48 first vs a 1.76/1.82 it's going to be easier to get moving and there will be less heat in the trans. Next point here is it has a lock up converter so when you do drive to the track, again, less heat and not that it matters but better mileage with the OD.

Why do you want a spool in a street ride? With sticky tires it put's more stress on the axles, doesn't turn well and in a lot of respect isn't all that safe.

If your goal is 11's with a blown LS1, I think it' fairly easily obtainable even at say 4,200lbs with an OD trans and posi. Heck, I went 11.9x with a bunch of 12.0's at 3,840 and the truck was not set up perfect. For NA it really would need a 4.88 gear and it only had 3.73's. Could use a pinch more converter ect.. I think if it was optimized, it could have went 11.6-11.7 with just a few changes.
Good steering Powerg is not going to gear up for a street ride,the weight just won't let it happen,But don't really know what kind of slicks,radials should be fine.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:54 PM   #11
68 C-10 KID
Mean Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonzor View Post
So ive got a 1969 SWB C10 in the planning stage right now and this is what im thinking/looking at.

1. Engine -- Supercharged LS1 -- anybody running one? how do they like it? what kind of hp/torque you getting out of it?

2. Transmission -- thinkin 2spd powerglide, what would you reccomend? What are people using? How do you like it?

3. Suspension -- http://www.ridetech.com/products/Che...-1329-928.html
Thats the kit im looking at, the truck is going to be a street legal sleeper. So I dont want to go all out race and kill the ride quality, but at the same time I want something thats not gonna transfer all my power into shifting bending and breaking. Air bagging isnt a must, ive just always wanted to do it!

4. Rearend -- keeping the 12bolt, thinking 4.11 with a posi, 33spline axles.

Please feel free to share your opinions and ideas!!

Thankyou,

Kyle N
Bro I just got back from Fire Bird race way in boise Idaho. A guy W/ a 72 swb W/ A Coil over valve cover engine (LS based) w/ a pro charger. WOW!!!! 9.80's
I still cant get over how the motor sounds screaming down the track. FN Wild sounding. Diff than anything I ever heard. I'm pro LS. I want one bad.
68 C-10 KID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 04:05 PM   #12
noonzor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 C-10 KID View Post
Bro I just got back from Fire Bird race way in boise Idaho. A guy W/ a 72 swb W/ A Coil over valve cover engine (LS based) w/ a pro charger. WOW!!!! 9.80's
I still cant get over how the motor sounds screaming down the track. FN Wild sounding. Diff than anything I ever heard. I'm pro LS. I want one bad.
haha, and now you see why im LS bound!!