The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-25-2015, 01:44 AM   #1
87highsierra2500

Truck pulls right and seems to be getting worse

hey guys, i have a 1987 GMC High Sierra 2500 I've owned it since 2011 and its always had a slight pull to the right, but lately its been getting worse and worse. All the front end parts seem tight, I replaced all for ball joints last fall, both tie rods are tight and the drag link ends feel tight as well, and I replaced the front leaf springs a few weeks ago for ride quality issues. It also pulls pretty good to the right when braking, feels like the right front shifts back when I'm stopping, I've never felt anything like it and I've been a GM automotive technician for 11 years! The front brakes seem to be working equally, I measured the pads and they are the same on both sides. The rear brakes also seem to be operating properly, have the same lining thickness and the distance from shoe to drum surface seem to be good. I'm running out of ideas and I really hate throwing parts on something if its not going to fix the problem. If any of you guys can give me any ideas or tell me something I'm missing it would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks,

Josh.
87highsierra2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 05:50 AM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: Truck pulls right and seems to be getting worse

How do the shackles look on the front? Bushings seem healthy...same aging? Since you just replaced the springs I'm sure the spring eye bushings are new, right?...and axle seated right on axle and u-bolts tightened to specs. Is the front end aligned to specs? I assume you've tried rotating tires. How about the rear axle, springs, etc? I had an issue with rear tires wearing on the outside on the '92 K3500 I bought new. I know, weird, right? I had the four wheel thrust alignment checked. I had to convince the shop to go ahead and do it, since they were saying there is no adjustment on the rear. Well, I wanted to know what was up and figured this would help, and it did. The read-out showed each side was toed-in approx. 3/8"! I figured somehow the tubes were in crooked somehow? When I freed the axle up from the spring I discovered on the driver side the tube had never been welded and the only thing holding ii place was the spring. The spring was rolled a bit due to the shackle being distorted from side stress. It was also eating up the rear seal wetting my brakes. They never picked up on it under warranty. I had to dope this out on my own. They kept replacing my rear brakes and just scratched their heads over the tire wear and tried to make me feel I was imagining it.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 06:40 AM   #3
CUSTOM/10

If it pulls right when braking I would check the left front calipar. It might be frozen and not working causing the truck to pull towards the side that is working.

Gary

My 72 SWB Build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=259859
CUSTOM/10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 07:06 PM   #4
87highsierra2500

Custom/10 both front calipers are working normally both brake pad linings are the same on both sides and the temps are exactly the same. special-K all the bushings are new and I replaced the front spring shackles when i did the springs. The front u-bolts are tightened to 150 ft lbs, I haven't checked the alignment yet, and rotating the tires did nothing. The rear springs do not look very healthy, I'll post a picture of those and the condition of the bushings back there are probably as good as the springs. That's pretty weird about your '92, I've seen a few things forgotten by assembly line workers.

Josh
Old 06-25-2015, 08:16 PM   #5
87highsierra2500

imghttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/attachment.php?attachmentid=1419293&stc=1&d=1435277597/img

Both rear springs are this way and it's only on the rear half of the springs between the u-bolts and clamps
Attached Images

Old 06-27-2015, 08:03 AM   #6
special-K
Special Order

Nobody looks at the rear when a vehicle doesn't go straight because it is supposed to be stationary and has no provision for adjustment. If you have exhausted all possibilities in the front, it's time to look at the rear. Are you saying you are always correcting to the left to go straight? The only other thing I can think of is maybe a bent frame?

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 06-28-2015, 07:55 PM   #7
87highsierra2500

Well i think i may have figured it out the left front upper ball joint is moving around in the bore on the front axle like its missing the preload bushing. I see the preload bushing is in there but it still has movement when the truck is on the ground. When i lift the truck it seems tight its weird.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:46 AM   #8
special-K
Special Order

It's those type of things that stump us. I have found things that don't make sense, but changed the part and fixed the problem. I like to understand why things happen, but these are "why ask why?" things and all that matters is it works. Glad to hear you found a viable answer to your issue

Tim

Old 07-02-2015, 11:54 AM   #9
87highsierra2500

I had to use a gopro attached to my bumper to find this problem. Today I'm going to install a new bushing and caster/camber shim and see if this will tighten it up, and if this works I will have it aligned at the shop i used to work at since i no longer have access to an alignment machine everyday . If this doesn't work I have another 10 bolt front axle, that is basically brand new, that came out of a low mileage truck that burnt up from some electrical fire.
Old 07-04-2015, 08:31 AM   #10
special-K
Special Order

Let us know how it turns out, and good luck. I hope you got it

Tim

Old 07-04-2015, 09:17 PM   #11
87highsierra2500

Well it turned out pretty well it drives nice and straight brakes pretty well but it does seem to pull to the right when braking on roads with a lot of crown but i think it will do fine for now...