The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-26-2015, 10:25 AM   #1
MalibuSSwagon

Upper control arm bolts

Have any of you replaced the upper control arm mounting bolts/studs in the frame? My C10 is at the alignment shop right now and the guy called me to say he can't get the alignment perfect due to the bolt threads being deteriorated from rust where the old shims sat on the bolts. I'm sure I'm not the only person in the rustbelt who has had this issue.
MalibuSSwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 09:37 AM   #2
cadillac_al

Re: Upper control arm bolts

You must be if it's the first time the shop has had to deal with it. My memory is going out on me but I think they just pop out from the back once the upper control arm is off. Why didn't they offer to fix it for you? New bolts, new alignment, set for life.
77 Chevy K10
cadillac_al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 01:00 AM   #3
Suburban_Tyler

I've gotta do the same thing on mine. Heard a popping in the front end and found the shims laying on top of the coil bucket. Went and had them put back in and they fell back out within 5 miles. took the nut off and the stud was smooth where the nut was. I just stacked some washers under the nut so it would tighten until I can figure what I need to do to change the stud? I was figuring the cross member needed to be dropped out. Is this not true? Anybody have a how to and a part number that fits? from what I'm ready not all studs fit.
Suburban_Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 09:05 AM   #4
MalibuSSwagon

I was mostly looking for a part number or bolt size. I hear you pretty much just pound it out and put a new bolt in.
Old 11-03-2015, 11:21 AM   #5
toddmbower

I have an 83 and After i installed a 5/5 djm drop the alignment shop had to use so many shims that the bolt barely screws on. Anybody have the same issue and if so what type and length bolt should be used.

Thx
toddmbower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 01:28 PM   #6
tinydb84

You smack them out from the outside in. You don't need to pull the crossmember to do it. You can get them in from the inside with the engine in place.

LMC sells replacements. Someone makes longer ones but I cant recall who.

Todd-what combo of springs/spindles/arms did you use? If you used spindles you shouldn't need that many shims. Some people replace the shims with washers so they wont fall out if the bolt ever starts to come loose.
Rear suspension rework: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=750557
Instagram: myfabguy
tinydb84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 02:27 PM   #7
Suburban_Tyler

I I called a buddy that works at a dealership and ended up finding 4 bolts at a different dealership this morning. Part number is 6263840. They are discontinued.
Posted via Mobile Device
Suburban_Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 09:19 PM   #8
MalibuSSwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Tyler View Post
I I called a buddy that works at a dealership and ended up finding 4 bolts at a different dealership this morning. Part number is 6263840. They are discontinued.
Posted via Mobile Device
Got these in hand today. My father works for a local dealer chain as a parts guy. Looked up the number and a dealer up north in NH had them in their warehouse. Took the guy up there a few weeks to find them as he works alone but he found them and shipped them down here yesterday. Now I'm going to take one to Fastenal and see if they have something functionally equivalent as I'm concerned about future availability.

Thank you for the part number sir.