The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-28-2007, 12:00 AM   #1
Blizz

i thought this would be a fun topic...post your "looks" stories..

that is...when you're driving your K5 around...what kind of looks, compliments, stares, thumbs up etc etc have yall gotten? how did it make you feel? that's one of the things i'm looking forward to the most. hell even in the shape mine is in, in 2 of the handful of times i've had it running out and about, i've gotten thumbs up two different times. do tell, this should be fun.

'96 2dr Tahoe 4x4 daily driver, Black Bear Performance tune, 285-75-16 Nitto Grapplers, Magnaflow muffler, K&N Air filter, Bilstein Shocks.........E-fan, DT Tri Y or Pacesetter LTs coming soon

Last edited by Blizz; 10-28-2007 at 12:00 AM.
Blizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 09:58 AM   #2
truckster

Re: i thought this would be a fun topic...post your "looks" stories..

Mine's still a work in progress, but I've had people come up and offer to buy it. I was driving down the main drag in my town one day - 3 lanes in each direction - and a minivan pulls up next to me and they're snapping pictures!

The worst one was the lady who almost hit me because she was staring at the Blazer.
truckster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 10:14 AM   #3
iliveintn

I havent really gotten any funny stories about looks yet cause it hasn't been on the road but a couple times. However pretty much everywhere I go I get looks. It's hard not to look at something that old that is lifted, topless, not too mention camo painted lol.

the weirdest looks I get is if its like a friday night and im out driving where all the really wealthy people in my town go eat at this new complex with really nice buildings and crap, i'll just drop it into second and slam the gas and it will get some funny looks that way real quick.
iliveintn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 11:36 AM   #4
herb101
Used Register

Yesterday, the guy at the state inspection station said "Wow, that thing is kick ass - REALLY!"

I usually get a paniced look from cars in front of me with multiple quick glances in the rear view. I guess the missing grill shell and bent front bumper make them uneasy.

I had a guy hold me up at a stoplight a few month ago while I was in the tuning lane. He was yelling across three lanes about how much he liked my truck and was telling me about his gen 1 Blazer project. It was really cool, but the traffic behind us didn't think so.

Herb
herb101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 11:42 AM   #5
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

I get lots of thumbs up, one guy even jumped out into the road to give me a thumbs up. I get a lot of people rolling down the window asking if I want to sell, and a few have flagged me down or followed me to see if I want to sell. I've had two different guys offer me $20K, but never heard back from them (nor did I expect to). Lots of guys with no money giving low, low ball offers. I have a stack of business cards from guys that want me to let them know if I ever decide to sell - mostly Microsoft guys.

I've had a few yell that I need to get some bigger tires (look at the pics in my signature link) and a lot of people ask if I was the one that restored it. When I tell them it hasn't been restored, they usually don't believe me and go in for a closer look.

The truck gets a lot more attention on sunny summer days with the top down than in the winter when I've got the hard top on. A lot of people ask, "what is it" or "did you cut the top of a pickup."

One guy thought it was a Scout and actually tried to argue with me that that's what it was. Even after I told him it was a Chevy Blazer and they made them from 69-72 like this, he still insisted on calling it a Scout.

I do hear, "Nice Blazer" a lot. It always swells my head a little bit and adds to the pride of owning a classic Blazer.
Wife's Ride2014 Fiat 500L

Last edited by bouncytruck; 10-28-2007 at 11:44 AM.
bouncytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 12:07 PM   #6
Blizz

I'm loving these stories, more inspiration. I can't wait.

'96 2dr Tahoe 4x4 daily driver, Black Bear Performance tune, 285-75-16 Nitto Grapplers, Magnaflow muffler, K&N Air filter, Bilstein Shocks.........E-fan, DT Tri Y or Pacesetter LTs coming soon
Blizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 12:18 PM   #7
herb101
Used Register

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncytruck View Post
One guy thought it was a Scout and actually tried to argue with me that that's what it was. Even after I told him it was a Chevy Blazer and they made them from 69-72 like this, he still insisted on calling it a Scout.
That's funny! I also have a 73 Scout II, so I could show him the differences People like to confuse Bronco, Blazer and Jeep all the time.

Herb
Old 10-28-2007, 12:41 PM   #8
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

No good stories about my K5 yet, I don't know if it is because it's pretty rough around the edges or not big, but I don't get many thumbs up. Occasionally I will notice someone eyeing it, but not very often.

My K20 is an entirely different story. The little kids' jaws usually drop as they watch it go by. I thought one little guy on a bicycle was gonna wreck cause he was watching me so intently. The high school boys usually give me big thumbs up especially when I give the motor a few blips of the throttle.

I get a few stares from more middle age people but most of them don't really notice it too much. Construction workers usually give a big smile or wave when they see the truck.

Maybe I should yank the tires off the K20 and put them on the K5 to see if a little elevation makes it more noticeable
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 12:54 PM   #9
Burt4x4

Over the years I have had lots of guestures. Two that I remember most was one this long haired chick in a beatup 70s comaro, while driving, hung out the drivers window and passed me yelling "I love your truck". The other memory was on the freeway in traffic and about 6-8 harley riders yelled out and held up their fist, brotherhood guesture is how I took it, I guess. They were all in the same lane and didn't change lanes so I assumed the yell and fist in the air was for me or my K5. After they past me the hands went back down.
hahaha one time I was parking at the liquor store and this drunk dude stumbles over to my K5 "Holy **** man, this thing is ***** sweet, oh bla bla bla " totaly stared at me until I left hahahaha
Old 10-28-2007, 01:32 PM   #10
crzngmychvy
"1972 C5"

Driving back from the brothers show this summer I was in the slow lane of the 15 freeway and two ladies in a little white import drive up along side. The one on the passenger side is make wild faces and snapping pictures as if she were jocking a rock star. I still like to think she was looking at me and not the blazer. It was cool none-the-less.
Old 10-28-2007, 02:01 PM   #11
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Jack View Post
My K20 is an entirely different story. The little kids' jaws usually drop as they watch it go by. I thought one little guy on a bicycle was gonna wreck cause he was watching me so intently. The high school boys usually give me big thumbs up especially when I give the motor a few blips of the throttle.
With my old green 69 (now owned by another board member) the neighborhood kids used to chase me on their bikes yelling "monster truck!" My wife always thought that was funny.
Wife's Ride2014 Fiat 500L
bouncytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 02:22 PM   #12
badchev69

I have had quite a few myself, mostly envolving smiles, waves, and faces plastered to the windows of their cars staring.

But the funniest ones are when i let my wife drive it (she tends to love driving it because of the attention she gets), guys tend to follow her around town and hoot and holler at her! Another was some guys got down in the road in a crosswalk and were trying to get her to roll over them! dumb@sses.

Then there is of course the occasional "hows the weather up there", and the "how in the heck do you get in that thing?". but i love it and will never part with it because of this reason.

Party on.
1968 camaro yellow/white stripes (wife's car)

2011 GMC reg cab short bed 2wd daily driver 5/7 drop on 22's

1972 K5 Blazer 13"/11"lift,38"M/T MTZ's, 3" cust exst.
350/350 (sold it )

Last edited by badchev69; 10-28-2007 at 02:27 PM.
badchev69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 04:45 PM   #13
Green Monster

It's pretty fun owning a rolling piece of history.

I get the thumbs up regularly.

I also get the hands hanging out of car windows pointing at Greeny as they drive by while I filling up at the gas station.

I get notes placed under the wiper asking if I'm interested in selling with a phone number. They should check eBay once a week.

It's pretty fun to watch people in the back seat of the car in front of you check out your ride too.

I have had people ride up and ask if I did all the work myself. I tell them, "This is the original paint. It's from California"

"Nice Blazer, I used to have one but mine was blah blah blah..."

When I park it I watch one guy after another look it all over. Interior, undercarriage and tires. Then they look back at it three or four times as they walk to the store. It's pretty neat to know you have something special. I should have a sign made up for it while parked. "Please, no drooling."

I like driving it through West Chester, PA. The college guys get a kick out of it. "Yo dude, check that thing out! That's f-in' awesome!.

At car shows:
Kids say "Whoa! Dad, look at the monster truck!"
I have heard, "That's been cut." and "You don't see these around anymore."

My friend and I were joking saying these Blazers are great, if you wanna pick up dudes. Chicks don't give a sh!t about cars. He's right for the most part.

Being topless in a lifted 4WD truck does have some benefits. My buddy driving though Philly on Spring Garden St. the night before the Live 8 concert. We were sitting at a red light and some girls showed us that the Blazer was not the only thing going topless that night as they flashed us while screaming "Live 8! Whoooo!!!" That was a hoot! My buddy and I were like, WTF?!

It is an attention grabber, no doubt about that. I love it.

Last edited by Green Monster; 10-29-2007 at 06:23 AM.
Green Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 05:13 PM   #14
herb101
Used Register

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Monster View Post
I get notes placed under the wiper asking if I'm interested in selling with a phone number. They should check eBay once a week.
Heck, even if you're NOT interested in selling your truck, several other people are!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Monster View Post
My friend and I were joking saying these Blazers are great, if you wanna pick up dudes. Chicks don't give a sh!t about cars. He's right for the most part.
That is so sad but pretty much true. As long as they never scream :gay:

Your's is a real nice example of what they looked like when new. I would love to get mine into half the shape yours is in. Then other people can try to sell my truck on ebay too.

Herb
Old 10-28-2007, 05:35 PM   #15
jamie72

best one i got is the time i just left a mud run(no didn`t race it) top was off i pulled over at a gas staion to put on a jacket and a cop car pull up beside me... i ask if i did something, they said no we just wanted to see you truck..lol
i get thumps up and nice truck all the time, i really like to watch the guys in the new super duties and suv just stare...lol

member #807

http://www.myspace.com/whitetailobsession
www.antlertalk.com
jamie72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 08:16 PM   #16
K5 Krazy

You know you have a cool truck when boys 8 to 12 years old stop in thier tracks and watch you drive by. That is the kind of attention I don't get sick of.

It's also nice when you see another 67-72 truck and get a nod as they pass.

But people wanting to carry on a conversation at red lights or accusing me of chopping up a truck gets old real fast. I rarely drive the blazer to work (a large law firm where the parking lot is full of fancy cars) but it was such a nice day a few weeks ago I couldn't resist. Anyway this senior attorney started giving me a hard time about chopping up a truck. I told him it was original but he wouldn't let up. After about a week of hearing about it, I had to pull out a brochure to shut him down. I guess its a small price to pay to drive a classic.

--1972 K/5 Blazer
K5 Krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 06:22 AM   #17
Green Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by K5 Krazy View Post
It's also nice when you see another 67-72 truck and get a nod as they pass.
Nod and wave exchanges take place around here for Scouts and early Broncos.

Jeeps Wranglers and Land Rover Defenders are ignored.
Green Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 11:50 AM   #18
OleSenna
Roof: Bad. Sky: Good.

Great thread that can go on indefinitely. Just this past week:

Pull into the bank where some construction is happening next door. As I walk away from the parked K5, a guy about the same vintage operating a backhoe stops what he's doing and, above the noise of the machinery, yells out, "'71?" with a big grin on his face. I quickly shout back my standard response, "No, it's a '72, but the '71s and '2s are identical." "Love it," he shouts back.

On the way home, driving down Peachtree Street (THE Peachtree Street), I slow for a red light and a 20-something (if even that old) driving a tiny little scooter slips up next to the driver's door in the midddle of traffic. He's looking up with a sh&t-eating grin on his face and I'm looking down at him thinking, "Wonder what he knows?" He says, "What year is it, '73?" "Not bad," I'm thinking and reply, "No, it's a '72, but the '71s and '2s are identical, then they changed the body style." He responds, "Went longer, huh?" "Well, kinda longer and boxier," I say. "Whatever," he says, "They made 'em uglier!" We both laugh and he putters off, flashing me a peace sign.

Gotta love it!

Old 10-29-2007, 12:56 PM   #19
Long Roof
Old School, New Style

I get all kinds of attention from both the Jimmy and the 70 sub. The day I brought the sub home I rolled through the McD's drive thru and a teen chick smiled and says, 'I love your truck!' Maybe its the smurf blue color, I don't know.

Around here I get equal looks/comments from men and women. Generally its the older guys and the younger ladies. I do live in a rural area so maybe the country girls are a little more likely to check out old trucks.

The attention is definitely one of the reasons I like owning old sheet metal. My 96 Impala SS never gets any looks.

Aaron
- 96 Chevy Impala SS - mainly stock
- 98 Chevy Tahoe LT 4x4 - all stock
The Bad:
- 86 Chevy Suburban 1/2T 4x4 - winter beater
The Ugly:
- 72 Chevy Suburban 1/2T 2wd - parts truck
Long Roof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 02:32 PM   #20
johnnywagon
Sofa King. We, Todd, Ed.

My favorite is when kids look, point and yell something like..."COOL". Lately I've been getting some ATV & motorcylce guys & gals following me around the off-road park to watch me abuse parts. I get a lot of nice comments from people who are surprised at the 4x4 capabilities of a bigger truck.

BUT, I have to laugh-off the comments some yahoo's make in reference to its size/lift/height, when they crack wise with: "sorry about your penis".

71 Blazer One Ton
65 Chevelle Station Wagon x2
59 Belair 2 Door
71 Chevy Open Road Van RV

www.myspace.com/johnnywagon
johnnywagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 09:18 PM   #21
RED72blazer
urban fourwheelin

The best for me was this summer driving with the top of in Belltown a ritzy bar area in downtown Seattle....Lot's of hot girls. I was at a stop light,a pack of girls walked in front and three of them just yelled out "we love your truck!!!". I should have asked for #.....
Old 10-30-2007, 02:28 AM   #22
bigbadchev72
People know me

BUT, I have to laugh-off the comments some yahoo's make in reference to its size/lift/height, when they crack wise with: "sorry about your penis". [/QUOTE]

Haha I always get this one too, My common response is " not compensating just advertising pee wee" always shuts em up!

I havent been driving mine too long but Ive already got people slowing down and almost snapping there necks to turn around and see it. Gotta love it, Never got that attention in my 84'
1972 k/5 blazer CST 4X4 Crate 350, th350/205, dana44with trac-loc/14 bolt with detroit locker, 4 wheel discs 4.56s, 8" suspension lift using 73-87springs, 1" zerorate custom front crossmember, HAD CV drivelines and driveshaft e-brake, full cage, PRP seats, Full autometer gauges, 38x14.5x16 Toyo M/Ts, 16x10 Polished aluminum rockcrusher wheels

1967 longbox 4x4, Strong 400/400/208, 44/12bolt 4.10s, 6" lift, 35" Toyo M/Ts on corvette rally wheels
bigbadchev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 07:23 AM   #23
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

Maiden voyage of any significant distance in "Merlot" last year was to the Memphis
Super Chevy Show. I worked for Tim Christian that weekend helping him out so she
got to be driven into the Manufacturers Midway and Parked in his Vendor spot. Not
positive but I think it helped Tim's business all day on Saturday which is the day of
the 3 we were the busiest. I had 12 people ask me to price it. 9 numbers given out
and I still have it. (Probably because I wasn't going to give it away) What a day

The 2nd was Ron 586's Cookout this past July. Asa brought me a Bright Yellow shirt.
A Hawaiian shirt to more precise. That evening driving home down the interstate w/
that bright shirt on I got alot of attention. Some were for the Blammy, I'm not sure
about the others since I got a couple of those "Is that guy Gay?" looks. All in all, if
she's out of the garage and on the road I get comments every time. Can't wait for
the day I get her finished. Those comment will be the ones I appreciate the most
Big Piggy: "Goliath" 07 Kodiak C4500
Lil Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 03:51 PM   #24
ABLAZN
Oh..never mind....

Great stories, I did not even get mine home before someone made a remark about my Blazer. I pulled the nose a little to far into the crosswalk at one of the stop signs where a few rough looking teenage boys going to cross. They walked across really slow staring hard at the Blazer. I thought they were mad about the nose being too far in the crosswalk , but when they got to the other side one of them yelled "Nice Chevy". I smiled, gave them a nod and drove off with the big smile still on my face. I hear "nice truck", and" you just don't see these anymore" at lot also.

The biggest conversations I get into though is when people find out that I owned the Blazer over 20 years ago and bought to back without knowing it. A lot of people what to know how I figured out it was my old ride and what I had to go through to confirm it.
Turbo 350
NP-205
454 BB (for now)
MORE TO COME !!!!!! Now going to 2WD!!!!!

Sold.

I got it back after 22 years and did not even know it !!!
THE STORY HERE

Project Low Down Dirty Rat
ABLAZN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 08:24 PM   #25
kw

Coming out of Mulligans in Nags Head years ago.

Some guy sees the Blazer with the top off and says, nice looking conversion job. How long dod it take you?

My reply was: to convert it into rust? about 25 years I guess,,,
kw is offline   Reply With Quote