The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-01-2014, 07:41 PM   #1
desertdogg

Question Need advice: LS ENGINE SWAP

Been around for a little while now and have done some minor work to my 1972 chevy C10 LWB {nothing major} Its a project truck and I finally Got some funds to do some major work to it. I just purchased a 2005 5.3 liter and 4L60E with 58k from a 2005 Chevy Tahoe doner. I paid $2500 with free shipping from a dismantler up in Wilmington CA, Im In San Diego, hope I didnt pay too much but I thought it was a good deal from what I had been seeing around here. It comes with the whole deal to do a complete change over. Anyways I was hoping some of you can lead me in the right direction to go from here.

This is what I think needs to be done and please correct me if Im wrong and please throw in any other feedback or advice:

#1. Find the engine transmission combo. ----- Done

#2. Find motor mounts------ Help please

#3. Get new harnes or existing one tailored for my truck---- Help please

#4. Get ECU reprogrammed--- Help please

#5. I need to figure out which throttle body I need, Wire driven or Cable Driven please inform...PLEASE!

I basically need to figure out what I need to do in order as I will be using your information as a guideline. thanks for any and all the valuable information guys I really appreciate it.
desertdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 11:58 PM   #2
desertdogg

Re: Need advice: LS ENGINE SWAP

Anyone ??
Old 03-02-2014, 01:34 AM   #3
slowcpe

#1. Congrats on the drivetrain

#2. The dirty dingo mounts seem to be popular. I will probably use them if I install my motor before I get a dropmember.

#3. I know there are a few companies out there. Can't recommend one though. I'm planning on doing my own.

#4. The '05 should be drive by wire which would require the gas pedal module. I think you can convert to drive by cable but don't know what all is involved. I sticking with DBW.
1967/71 Blue SWB C10..SOLD
1977 SWB K10..my grandpa's.....never should have sold
slowcpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 02:23 AM   #4
desertdogg

Thanks Slowcpe ! where can I get the dirty mounts at ? As far as the throttle body goes, is the drive by cable the route I want to go ? the reason I ask is the place I bought the drive train will install the drive by cable if I needed it before they ship it but I wasnt sure I got till tuesday to let him know..thanks
Old 03-02-2014, 03:50 PM   #5
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

#2 http://www.dirtydingo.com/store/index.php

#3 there are many out there, I have used speartech and Nelson Performane

#4 you have a dbw setup, you will need the pedal assembly and I believe a TAC module. Dbw is a good thing because it's easy to add cruise control.
Dbc is easier to set up especially on your 72, cable throttle etc but read the dbw if you want other.
Good luck and have fun!!!

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 09:18 PM   #6
88Ironduke

I have a done a 5.3 4L60E install into an 81" Firebird. Nuggets of lore...

Motor mounts did not match my application exactly, life sucked. Get complete stands/adapter plates for the block that match your vehicleapplication. Don't go cheap, buy the set. Depending on far forward or aft the motor sets could influence your choice of oil pan. Match up the mounts so that the oil pan will clear. Went with DBW, looking back would rather deal with a cable. Add in the adjustable gas pedal assembly from the donor and there will be fabrication required in the floor. Keep the DBW pedal assembly far away from a welder... Don't ask. The conversion to a cable system will require a throttle body and very possibly a new ECM to play nicely with the new set up.

Wire harness was easy part, LS1tech.com, NastyZ28, and a few others have a really nice break out for the required goodies, optional goodies, and stuff to get rid of list. ECM will actually "lay" in a semi-stock location if you leave the required wiring alone. Mount to the drivers side wheel well vicinity and everything else lines up. Two or three relays and you can set up a running motor quick. The motor harness is actually pretty basic. Went with old school analog gauges and sending units. Only headache was oil pressure sending unit. Block has metric threads but Autometer set was standard thread. Adapter installed and good to go. Electric fuel pump will be required, advise in tank pump capable of 60 PSI with return. It was easy and return style system was effective.

I went ahead and installed a 4L60E tail shaft adapter to give both ECM reference input and a cable drive for the mechanical speedo. Cant say for sure how good buzz boxes or convertors are or their longevity but this was a permanent fix. Expensive... but bullet proof. Add in a custom cross member (refer to screwed up motor mount selection) and custom drive shaft (again, mounts)... You get the picture.

Ask about power steering pump if the donor truck had hydro-power assist versus vacuum power assist brakes. If the former is on the motor, it complicates the install but not bad

End result, frigging awesome power plant, fires up first crank when bone cold and runs great. Go for it. Burns tires no problem, sounds awesome and looks bad@$$ under the hood.

88Ironduke

My Build Thread: Project 72' Green
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=587932
88Ironduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 01:35 AM   #7
desertdogg

Clyde, thanks for the link and for all your kind information really apreciate it..

88Ironduke, thank you for all of the awesome information and the time you spent on the post to help me I really appreciate it. I think I will be going with the cable throttle body. I will ask about the power steering pump tomorrow...Also which Gm Oil pan do you think would work best for this set up on my truck ?

I bet your 81 Firebird turned out great, that actually was my first car in high school but mine only had a v6 in it lol, that was probably a good thing back then.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:12 AM   #8
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

You can do the GM Hot rod oil pan...I think this one.

http://www.jegs.com/i/GM+Performance...FUOSfgodLA0ARQ

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:39 AM   #9
truckdude239

Autometer #2277 for the metric adapter for oil pressure and temp

1971 Chevy c-10 under going a 4.8l LSx swap

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=421305

2007 Honda Accord my daily 145kmiles
2002 Honda Accord 4 door With 330k(sisters car)
2005 toyota Avalon 228k( brothers car)
2002 Sububran 5.3 245k
2000 Tahoe 5.3l 378

General manager for Marco's Carwash & lube
truckdude239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:08 PM   #10
desertdogg

Clyde Is the Oil pan a required mod ? I do plan on lowering in the future but is it required for this changeover ? I remember reading somewhere that the pan could be hanging too low somewhere.

Truckdude thanks for that part number I got that written down so I dont forget do you know where I can get one ? Thanks again guys this is helping me so much !
Old 03-03-2014, 10:20 PM   #11
desertdogg

Today I spoke to 2 different wire harness company's "PSI" and "Electronic fuel Injection" still wait for "Nelson Performance" to call me back PSI full harness and ECU is about the same price as Electronic fuel injection but I really liked EFI he said he would help me out if I had any questions installing it and sounds like the layout works out better. Going to wait for Nelson to call me so I can make my final decision. Any one have any Preferences ?
Old 03-03-2014, 10:38 PM   #12
ls1nova71

I would keep the DBW and call the yard and see if you can get the TAC, pedal and the jumper harness between the two. Just putting a DBC throttle body on a later DBW intake has some interference issues. Also, if you're not going to be 'slamming' it when you go to lower it, the truck oil pan should be fine. It will be an inch or so below the crossmember, but on trucks it usually isn't a problem.

5.3 swap into my RUSTY '71 C10
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...71-c-10-a.html
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:59 PM   #13
slowcpe

Seeing that this follows along with this thread, I'm going to ask this question:

I have a complete setup including the pedal for a '05 LQ4. I completely forgot about the TAC module and jumper harness and I'm pretty sure the vehicle is now scrapped. How hard are these to locate and are they year/model specific?
Old 03-03-2014, 11:28 PM   #14
truckdude239

Local part stores can order them i got mine off ebay cuase i needed them faster then l8cal store could tet them

2002 Sububran 5.3 245k
2000 Tahoe 5.3l 378

Old 03-04-2014, 01:31 AM   #15
desertdogg

LS1Nova, yes after speaking with the harness people they suggested keeping the drive by wire since its already setup that way and I Confirmed with the yard today the TAC will be comming with it and the gas pedal...the nice thing about this yard is if for some reason down the road I need something they will send it to me free of charge for the next 150 days. Thanks for your help
Old 03-04-2014, 01:40 AM   #16
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowcpe View Post
Seeing that this follows along with this thread, I'm going to ask this question:

I have a complete setup including the pedal for a '05 LQ4. I completely forgot about the TAC module and jumper harness and I'm pretty sure the vehicle is now scrapped. How hard are these to locate and are they year/model specific?
Try car-part.com and search other local wreckers to see if you can get one. They are pretty easy to find, but I wouldn't get one from a parts store since the price would be pointlessly high. You'd want something 03-05 out of a truck or van with a v8. Thats about as specific as you need to get, but its always good for piece of mind to come as close to what you got as possible.

IIRC 06 they changed to a different pedal, from the metal to the plastic molded one. Verify which one you have your hands on now just to be sure, you never know if you got a late-production model or something like that.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:44 AM   #17
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdogg View Post
Today I spoke to 2 different wire harness company's "PSI" and "Electronic fuel Injection" still wait for "Nelson Performance" to call me back PSI full harness and ECU is about the same price as Electronic fuel injection but I really liked EFI he said he would help me out if I had any questions installing it and sounds like the layout works out better. Going to wait for Nelson to call me so I can make my final decision. Any one have any Preferences ?
IMO I'd skip the Nelson harness. I've heard some people having problems with the setup and the relays they use (and the way they choose to run them).

I got a harness from FuelInjectionConnection, and I was extremely happy with it. Its nicely loomed, uses high-quality wiring and materials, has its own clean little fuseblock, and installed extremely easily. Every single wire was labeled. It came with a few pages of instructions, and they always answered calls and emails fast. They also sent me replacement pigtails when a last minute equipment change (my fault) caused them not to match up...they sent them 2 nd day priority and charged me nothing at all.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:47 AM   #18
desertdogg

Do you guys know if the stock gas tank will work for this setup ? I was reading something about the gas tank needing an internal pump ? set up at 60psi ? can someone elaborate ?
Old 03-04-2014, 01:52 AM   #19
desertdogg

BR3W City...THANK YOU !! I was kinda leaning that way but you just confirmed it for me ! Thanks again !
Old 03-04-2014, 02:00 AM   #20
slowcpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
Try car-part.com and search other local wreckers to see if you can get one. They are pretty easy to find, but I wouldn't get one from a parts store since the price would be pointlessly high. You'd want something 03-05 out of a truck or van with a v8. Thats about as specific as you need to get, but its always good for piece of mind to come as close to what you got as possible.

IIRC 06 they changed to a different pedal, from the metal to the plastic molded one. Verify which one you have your hands on now just to be sure, you never know if you got a late-production model or something like that.
Thank you! That's what I needed to know. Sorry for barging in on the thread.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:02 AM   #21
'68 Newtricks

I will be relocating the tank to the back. I'm not fond of making the stocker work and I've heard the pump whine can get old fast.

Curious, is George the guy in Wilmington? Dude sells a lot of motors. Almost bought one from him, just couldn't provide the VIN at the time or start the engine for me. But I can wait till I find a whole truck for myself.
'68 Newtricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 02:31 AM   #22
desertdogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by '68 Newtricks View Post
I will be relocating the tank to the back. I'm not fond of making the stocker work and I've heard the pump whine can get old fast.

Curious, is George the guy in Wilmington? Dude sells a lot of motors. Almost bought one from him, just couldn't provide the VIN at the time or start the engine for me. But I can wait till I find a whole truck for myself.
Yes thats him and he will be supplying me with the VIN seems like he knows what he is doing and I got a 150 day warranty so should be all good...I was thinking about the whining noise and you are right sounds like I need to find a gas tank and figure that out too ? any Ideas ? or cheaper routes to go on that ?
Old 03-04-2014, 02:35 AM   #23
desertdogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowcpe View Post
Thank you! That's what I needed to know. Sorry for barging in on the thread.
your all good slowcpe glad my thread was able to help you out.

This thought just entered my mind: Do I need the Radiator too from the doner vehicle ?
Old 03-04-2014, 03:00 AM   #24
truckdude239

I used WWW.lsx-harness.com also at the top of this forum is a sticky labeled FAQs it lists all. The fuel system stuff/wiring mounts and everything

2002 Sububran 5.3 245k
2000 Tahoe 5.3l 378

Old 03-04-2014, 06:19 AM   #25
ls1nova71

I've done fuel pumps both ways, and my preference is an intank pump. That said my driver shortbed has an external pump and its not noisy at all, I think a lot has to do with what kind or brand of pump you use. The main draw back to a rear mounted tank for me is lack of a good place for a filler. I don't like fillers in the bed (just not practical) and I can't stand fuel doors in the bedside of a 67-72, but that's just my opinion. I'm building a blazer with an intank pump since I don't have to worry about a non stock fuel filler.

As for a radiator, if your original is in good shape, I would just use it.

5.3 swap into my RUSTY '71 C10
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...71-c-10-a.html
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote