The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-08-2017, 12:29 AM   #26
72blazerblue

Re: BROWN WHITE Striped wire from the Ignition switch Burnt what can cause this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteVet View Post
.................................................................................................... ....

It is probably already routed to the fuse panel unless you didn't have one in the first place.
That is what I am confused about. Since this truck did not have ACC on original ignition switch, there isn't a 12G Brown wire in the wire loom.
That is why I was unsure of two things:
1. If the brown/white wire still joins to the brown wire on the ACC position of this new style plug. (You said yes, but where would it have joined originally on a 67 style plug that didn't have an ACC wire?)

2. The plug I replaced did not have the brown ACC wire, new one does. So there is no brown wire from plug to fuse panel. If I extend brown wire from plug to fuse panel, where does it connect and will that make the ACC position work correctly?
72blazerblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 02:33 AM   #27
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: BROWN WHITE Striped wire from the Ignition switch Burnt what can cause this?

This diagram shows the 12 gauge brown wire going down to the fuse panel and the black arrows point it out. The brown/white stripe is just below it and it runs to the inside of the firewall block.

Name:  Cab-1web.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  101.1 KB

The 12 gauge brown ACC wire goes to the back side of the fuse panel and powers the wiper,TS, heater, and backup light fuses. Hot with key on.

This is a lousy picture but it's the only one I have.

Name:  Blazer%20%287%29.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  88.5 KB

Your key switch shows a small red wire with the main red power wire on the same connection. i don't remember what that powers but it is full time hot.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 11:00 AM   #28
72blazerblue

VetteVet, I am following what you are saying thanks a lot!

I guess where I was confused is I was thinking that a 67 would not have that brown 12G wire at all, since it did not have an ACC position from factory.

By what you are saying, I should still have a 12G brown wire under there somewhere because something would have to power the wiper, TS, heater, and backup light fuses. Am I correct?

By this diagram that you posted earlier, it looks as if on a 67 the Brown 12G wire would have connected to the IGN tab whereas later years it would connect to the ACC tab?
Attached Images

72blazerblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 09:52 PM   #29
CKfan

Trying to sort things out on my 1969 C10. While searching the issue I found this thread which seems close to the problem I am having and could really use the help.

I have a thin brown wire/ white stripe with a broken fuseable link right near the core support on the driver's side as shown in photo. Rats made love to the wire pretty good on both sides of the link. Amoung the many issues I am tracking down are, no headlights and no wipers. So, I started chasing wires and found the stated problem.

question: What size usable link do I buy? I will obviously purchase like size wire and like color.

Thanks
Attached Images

CKfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 11:19 AM   #30
CKfan

Figured it out. Had to cut the wire out, removed the rat chewed insulation that covered the fuse. The wire ended up being Black with white stripe, not brown. I was able to pull out he broken fuse end with needle nose pliers. Used magnifying glass to find it is a 4 amp usable link. Now just go to find a new one, replace it and see what it fires up.
Attached Images

Old 12-04-2022, 03:59 PM   #31
RichardJ

You didn't figure anything out, other than you cut your wiring harness up for no reason.
There are two 4 Amp fuses in the Ammeter circuit. The operation of the Ammeter has absolutely nothing to do with the operation of any other electrical circuit in the truck.
If either fuse burns out or you cut them out, the only thing that is effected is the operation of the Ammeter.

Start a new thread, preferably in the general message board, stating what problem you are trying to solve. If reading that 11 year old thread didn't help you, then you would do better starting fresh.
Attached Images

Old 12-04-2022, 05:48 PM   #32
CKfan

Thanks.
I was unsure about posting a new thread. Been told to try and find one that has spoke about a topic before starting a new one. Still trying to get the hang of it. New to site but trying.

Took old wire I had to NAPA and was told that old vehicles used an "in-line fuse" which my truck came with and the newer ones use "fusible links of wire." Figured out I was just confused from reading the old thread and didn't know there was a difference. Bought a small piece of 18 Gauge Black white wire (fusible link wire), problem solved.
Old 12-05-2022, 12:56 PM   #33
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Hello CKfan.
Welcome to the forum and I hope you enjoy your time here with us.
We encourage new members to post, regardless if it's to quote an old thread or to
start a new one.
Our main purpose is to discuss our issues and to share our experiences.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 01:52 PM   #34
RichardJ

>>We encourage new members to post, regardless if it's to quote an old thread or to start a new one.<<

For me, I'd much prefer someone start a new thread and quote and/or put a link to an old thread in their first post.
Reading through a thread, only to find 10 posts into the thread, that the thread is 10 years old is annoying. You would expect the first post to be from the guy asking the question, not the guy with post #29 at the end of the thread.

Back to post #32, you should never replace fuse with a fusible link.
1st of all, a fusible link in many ways is comparable to a slow blow fuse. A fuse used to protect a meter movement must be fast acting.
2nd, fusible links are sized, four sizes smaller than the wire size in the circuit it is protecting. 18 gauge fusible link would be used to protect 14 gauge wire.

In the original thread the guy was asking about the charging circuit. The two fuses used to protect the Ammeter are not part of the charging circuit.