The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-05-2023, 12:14 AM   #3626
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: What did you do to your truck today.The 3rd chapter

Not much to show but big day man. This has been what's approaching an 8 year project. I'm still waiting on bumpers, upholstery held hostage by a covid economy, hub caps, and the grilles I'll install after the A/C is charged. Beyond that I had one last thing I could possibly do, and that's install the windshield wipers.

I've only seen the truck with a battery say 20 minutes. Everything works so far, but then came what I was waiting for most, the washer pump.

not a drop. Clicked that dude say a dozen times or so, nothin. Heck I bought the truck in 1989 and it's never worked. But I knew the pump was operable years ago, after I cleaned her out and tore this thing down.

So I thought, what happens if I prime the system by blowing into washer bottle's hose with my lungs. Wholly cow, hit the pump and struck water. Another dozen pumps later and hallelujah.

I also finished the assembly guide I've worked on for this entire ride. Really happy about that. I spent more time on that than actually building the truck.
Attached Images

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 03:39 AM   #3627
ghackett1
68 C10 Longbed

Added a reverse light switch from Hurst to my Muncie M22. Now I can see when I back up at night
ghackett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 04:43 PM   #3628
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
Not much to show but big day man. This has been what's approaching an 8 year project. I'm still waiting on bumpers, upholstery held hostage by a covid economy, hub caps, and the grilles I'll install after the A/C is charged. Beyond that I had one last thing I could possibly do, and that's install the windshield wipers.

I've only seen the truck with a battery say 20 minutes. Everything works so far, but then came what I was waiting for most, the washer pump.

not a drop. Clicked that dude say a dozen times or so, nothin. Heck I bought the truck in 1989 and it's never worked. But I knew the pump was operable years ago, after I cleaned her out and tore this thing down.

So I thought, what happens if I prime the system by blowing into washer bottle's hose with my lungs. Wholly cow, hit the pump and struck water. Another dozen pumps later and hallelujah.

I also finished the assembly guide I've worked on for this entire ride. Really happy about that. I spent more time on that than actually building the truck.
Cool. I haven't had working Schwishers in a couple decades on any of my rigs. I just splash water on the windshield, turn on the wipers and splash more water till it's clean.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 03-06-2023 at 12:16 AM.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 07:15 PM   #3629
67olds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trio View Post
Got her back yesterday, after the transmission shop had her for three weeks. They built and installed a 700R4 to replace the original TH350, new transmission cooler, all new lines, new 2-piece drive shaft. It is indeed glorious having a 4th gear - so much better at highway speeds.
What was the rough price to have a shop do all of that for ya?
67olds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 08:13 PM   #3630
Trio

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67olds View Post
what was the rough price to have a shop do all of that for ya?
3900. Top end shop, great reputation = not cheap.

1971 C20 350/700R4
Trio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 08:17 PM   #3631
67olds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trio View Post
3900. Top end shop, great reputation = not cheap.
Thanks!
67olds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 10:19 PM   #3632
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Rec’d these caps today. Props to CHEVMN for restoring them. His father is a board member.

I need to choose tires yet, leaning to 235-75-15, not sure about 235-70-15. I like the look of the current prifile, but oh snap, those are 255-70 on 6” wheels for temporary, YIKES! Using this as a gauge, strikes me 235-75 and 255-70 have similar profiles. 4/2.5 drop suspension. Picture is of existing 255-70, input appreciated.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc...0r15-235-75r15

Oh, boy, my truck is finally running today too. Someone else dialed in the carb, same guy who rebuilt it. That was a long haul. The hick-ups were the transmission was rebuilt twice, and lesson learned for radiator.

I also dog-proofed my truck space today, built that friggin wall. He’s a rambunctious German Shepard, stuff gets knocked around sometimes, plus it's just a good idea due storage considerations. The extra lumber was I started too close to the door, so some 2x3. Now the door just opens all the way, I took every pinch of space I could. Think I’ll throw some foam on the "center" post, but there is 8-9” play. I just made a post of my work tableit's a heavy unit. Bummer I can't rightly pop the hood without moving it, but on the bright side all three of my vehicles have a garage space again, and the truck is secluded.
Attached Images

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 03-30-2023 at 10:27 PM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 10:42 PM   #3633
allchevy58

Quote:
Rec’d these caps today. Props to CHEVMN for restoring them. His father is a board member.

I need to choose tires yet, leaning to 235-75-15, not sure about 235-70-15. I like the look of the current prifile, but oh snap, those are 255-70 on 6” wheels for temporary, YIKES! Using this as a gauge, strikes me 235-75 and 255-70 have similar profiles. 4/2.5 drop suspension. Picture is of existing 255-70, input appreciated.

Oh, boy, my truck is finally running today too. Someone else dialed in the carb, same guy who rebuilt it. That was a long haul. The hick-ups were the transmission was rebuilt twice, and lesson learned for radiator.

I also dog-proofed my truck space today, built that friggin wall. He’s a rambunctious German Shepard, stuff gets knocked around sometimes, plus it's just a good idea due storage considerations. The extra lumber was I started too close to the door, so some 2x3. Now the door just opens all the way, I took every pinch of space I could. Think I’ll throw some foam on the "center" post, but there is 8-9” play. I just made a post of my work tableit's a heavy unit. Bummer I can't rightly pop the hood without moving it, but on the bright side all three of my vehicles have a garage space again, and the truck is secluded.
Looks good, caps will really set it off.
1927 Willy's Knight 24,000 original miles, 1958 Impala 283/Powerglide, 1964 C-30 383/4 speed, 1971 Monte Carlo 350/350, 1972 GMC K2500 350/350, 1976 Chev. K10 350/350, 2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD LBZ Duramax/Allison, 2006 Chev. Silverado K3500 LBZ Duramax/Allison
allchevy58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 01:07 AM   #3634
Extended Power

Removed the pan off my T400 transmission since it’s hanging off the engine lift right now.
Changed the filter, and getting ready to install the new crossmember I bought a couple weeks ago from Overkill Customs, out of Red Deer. (Running exhaust up in the frame)
New B&M 3200 stall, and switching to Type F fluid.
...not spending a bunch on this transmission, as I doubt it will last very long behind the new engine. (Spent way too much this last winter.)

Picking up a lot of stuff tomorrow from the border. (Parts and pieces I’ve ordered as far back as December)

Super excited!!!
Old 03-31-2023, 03:00 AM   #3635
'68OrangeSunshine

I went over to my buddy, Dennis' place and we had a couple of steaks, canned beans and a baked potato each.
Then, when we came to, we rebuilt my '71 GMC Jimmy's 350's Carter AFB [9635-S]. Since I got YOM Plates, I don't have to tune up [and dial down the carb and timing] for Emissions testing every year.
We were always changing out metering rods and jets to pass in June. Right at the peak of the hot dry season. Then there was the long lines at the ADEQ Facility. Went to a 4-core radiator just for that. If your coolant pukes, you flunk for the day. Fix it and come back.
Anyway, it had been a while since we rebuilt that 600 CFM carb. I got a fresh EDL1477 re-carb kit on the way out. $54 bucks. Inside the fuel bowl was stained pink. Possibly from rust and the red dye in Sta-Bil, which I use to preserve pump gas. The Accelerator pump gasket had been shot for a long time. Varnish on the flapperators, etc.
I treat my AFB [Federal Mogul vintage] like an Edselbrock 1405. We broke it open and cleaned all the little bits with spray carb cleaner. Then we reassembled it with all the little bits and new gaskets back on.
After the carb was back together, we re-mounted it on the SBC, and fired it up. We then checked the timing and reset it to 12* advance. It had gone retarded.
Dennis dialed in the Performance Series Carter AFB, [Vacuum up to 17'' Hg @ 700 RPM, 180*F H2O = Nominal] and it sure is good to throttle up again.
[Usually, we'd do the BBQ after the tune-up, but Dennis was hungry early, I guess. He was the cook.]
Sorry no pix.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 03-31-2023 at 03:19 AM.
Old 03-31-2023, 07:14 AM   #3636
mr.mud1

Quote:

hi Tony,truck looks great and progress being made.all good.hubcaps look good,in my opinion,they really sharpen up the looks of these trucks.i was talking to those same folks about a set of hubcaps for my truck but in the end,i did my own.very nice truck,you've done a great job on it.
mr.mud1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 07:17 AM   #3637
mr.mud1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extended Power View Post
Removed the pan off my T400 transmission since it’s hanging off the engine lift right now.
Changed the filter, and getting ready to install the new crossmember I bought a couple weeks ago from Overkill Customs, out of Red Deer. (Running exhaust up in the frame)
New B&M 3200 stall, and switching to Type F fluid.
...not spending a bunch on this transmission, as I doubt it will last very long behind the new engine. (Spent way too much this last winter.)

Picking up a lot of stuff tomorrow from the border. (Parts and pieces I’ve ordered as far back as December)

Super excited!!!
just like Christmas when you get to make a run to the border for parts.i know the feeling.i'm ordering up a bunch of stuff now for my latest project,to be shipped to my address in Maine and i'll pick it all up in May when we're returning from Ohio visiting a friend sick with cancer.the wrong reason for a trip to Ohio but a chance to get some parts on the way home.Take care.
Old 03-31-2023, 12:30 PM   #3638
OregonNed

Giving my truck bed its yearly waxing with micro crystalline wax (suggested by my friend who finished it for me. Using a bit of glass cleaner first to remove any shop dust. It has 14 coats of Epiphanes marine varnish on the wood.
Attached Images

Old 03-31-2023, 01:01 PM   #3639
mr.mud1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonNed View Post
Giving my truck bed its yearly waxing with micro crystalline wax (suggested by my friend who finished it for me. Using a bit of glass cleaner first to remove any shop dust. It has 14 coats of Epiphanes marine varnish on the wood.
beautiful work,looking very nice.
Old 03-31-2023, 01:33 PM   #3640
Orefactory4x4 swb

Magazine pretty, nice job.
I could almost see myself with that shine.
Orefactory4x4 swb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 03:25 PM   #3641
Orefactory4x4 swb

I better get something done, maybe some body work.
Attached Images

Orefactory4x4 swb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 05:26 PM   #3642
Jiggers72-GMC

If you don't do it ^^^^^^^ no one will
1969 GMC C2500 manual
Jiggers72-GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 08:07 PM   #3643
zicc1835

Quote:

congratulations ..... and I can remember years ago priming those pumps with my lungs
zicc1835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 09:41 PM   #3644
Extended Power

Picked up new Schott wheels, one piece window kit, all the tailgate trim, billet radiator support brackets, complete 3" exhaust pipe kit, 3" v-bands, and fire sleeve
Attached Images

Old 04-01-2023, 12:17 AM   #3645
'68OrangeSunshine

Today, on my '71 Jimmy, I R&R'ed the Fuel Filter and replaced the 3/8'' hose connecting it to the carb. I also reattached the lid on my center Console. All 3 screws had worked loose and the lid was flopping all over the place.

I looked into changing out the gasket on the Fuel Sender in the '68 C/10 Stepside. Since I changed out the float last year, the tank was leaking fumes into the cab. Especially when filled up. I had pulled about 9 gallons from the in-cab tank -- syphoned into jerry cans -- so I could operate, but the Special Tool I bought from LMC to remove the sender, lock ring and gasket was nowhere to be found.

Old 04-05-2023, 03:25 PM   #3646
72c20customcamper

After a month or so of phone calls and e-mails my seat saga has been resolved . I received three yards of the Dark Fawn material today to redo the 68 seat back. Free of charge they also sent me a check for the estimate from my upholsterer to do the repairs . So all in all I’m happy with the outcome . I’ll post when the seat is fixed most likely a month or so as the shop is extremely busy at this time . Color is dead nuts .

I think they just wanted me to stop calling
Attached Images

1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.

Last edited by 72c20customcamper; 04-05-2023 at 03:30 PM.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 03:36 PM   #3647
Jiggers72-GMC

Right on Mark, glad to see it
1969 GMC C2500 manual
Jiggers72-GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 03:45 PM   #3648
OregonNed

I've been spending time in the garage waiting for the weather to get better, and polishing the stainless bed bolts and reinstalling. Might even do all of the strip bolts as well.
Attached Images

Old 04-05-2023, 06:07 PM   #3649
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

I had my original AM Radio redone so is now AM/FM and has Blue Tooth with a built in microphone so can talk hands free. It was recommended by the builder that I use a fixed mast antenna for better reception on the AM so today ordered a complete new fixed mast antenna kit. My truck has the original telescoping antenna now.
Attached Images

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 06:35 PM   #3650
CG
BlahBlahBlah

I looked up the company on the sticker of your radio and they say they are only Mopar and AMC. How did you get them to do your radio?

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote