The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-06-2023, 04:45 PM   #1
54blackhornet

Mechanical Fuel Pump Install Trick

I recently decided to replace the original A/C Delco pump. On my 307. My first dilemma was actually finding a suitable replacement. I have determined that there is no source for an American manufactured pump. The first one came from O’Rileys (Precision Brand) had a damaged threaded fitting for the hardline to carb. I bought a Napa branded pump and took the hardline with me to confirm the connection was correct. I removed the old pump and backing plate. Cleaned up everything well. Also bought a new backing plate gasket and used Peratex High Tack Cement to hold the gaskets in place during assembly. The trick I found was to use these knurled Allen head bolts for the two holding the pump to the plate/engine. For those experienced getting the original bolts in place is a royal PITA. I also loosely installed the lower plate fasteners while I pre threaded the the top two, then tightened up the bottom two. This allows easy insertion of the pump bolt’s through the backing plate and into the engine block. The knurled heads allow finger tightening, then the use of a long Allen wrench for final tightening. I’m not going into the pump rod tricks. Most blocks have the bolt in passenger side front that you can remove to secure the pushrod. Mine did not so I used the grease method. I hope this might help those not familiar with the process.
Attached Images

Old 04-06-2023, 04:53 PM   #2
72SB

Re: Mechanical Fuel Pump Install Trick

Good added hack for FP install. For me the "glob of grease" holds the FP pushrod up while I otherwise install FP with the stock hex head bolts. Also, easier when #1 is TDC as the pushrod will be all the way up then.

Yeah, the one short bolt, 3/8 IIRC, you remove from lower PS of timing cover and then use a longer one to then hold up the PR is generally the way to do it. Just remember to remove that bolt and replace with the short one before starting motor. I have found though that hole sometimes is not there.
72SB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 05:25 PM   #3
'68OrangeSunshine

The ''Grease Trick'' doesn't work in AZ, especially in the Summer. It just oozes away, and won't congeal. Might work in Michigan, or Fairbanks, IDK.
I was happy to discover the Bolt Trick. At least it works on my SBC.
I don't have an operational big block currently.
And L6s have direct contact with the fuel pump foot touching the cam itself. No pushrod needed.

The issue of Quality Control of mechanical fuel pumps is a serious one. Not even AC Delco is trustworthy anymore. Mexico, Korea, Taiwan or China. Even an NOS, USA-made one might be compromised by modern fuel formulae.
A couple of years ago, I went thru 3 in a row, until I got a pump that worked. One lasted a year, the next one didn't survive a trip Downtown.
I think it's the Ethanol that's mandated to be infused with Mogas now. Eats the rubber in the diaphragm. But I'm not a big fan of electric fuel pumps.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 07:26 PM   #4
RichardJ

>>And L6s have direct contact with the fuel pump foot touching the cam itself. No pushrod needed.<<

And you would think it would be that simple. I've seen inlines with the new pump mounted upside down with can and fittings on the bottom and they had added an electric fuel pump.
Old 04-06-2023, 07:59 PM   #5
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardJ View Post
>>And L6s have direct contact with the fuel pump foot touching the cam itself. No pushrod needed.<<

And you would think it would be that simple. I've seen inlines with the new pump mounted upside down with can and fittings on the bottom and they had added an electric fuel pump.
Well on the L6, the fuel pump IS mounted ''upside down'' in relation to the V8 orientation. Someone more familar with V8s might make the wrong assumption.

12-Bolt Tom ''solved'' the 292 passenger side mounting tower rarity, by coming out with a 292 mount that fits the fuel pump fittings amidships, like a 250, and requires a mechanical fuel pump. Not interested, myself.

I have noticed, it helps to bump the engine so the cam lobe is ''away'' from the fuel pump foot when replacing an L6 fuel pump.

Old 04-06-2023, 08:40 PM   #6
LS short box

Back in the day when we replaced a SBC fuel pump we didn't really care if the push rod fell down. When we were ready to install the new pump we took a strong magnet and stuck it to the push rod and then bumped the engine over until the push rod could go all the way up. Then with the pump in hand and using a small screw driver holding the push rod up just slid the new pump in.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 08:46 PM   #7
72SB

we used a hack saw blade to hold them up back when...
72SB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 08:55 PM   #8
howzzzit

This is the truth. I actually used peanut butter. Didn't have grease and no way to drive. Fuel pump was out.
howzzzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 09:09 PM   #9
54blackhornet

Appreciate the additional suggestions fellas ! For the first timers installing a pump it can be a nightmare. The biggest difficulty most have on a V8 is trying to get the bolts started while simultaneously keeping the pump rod up. I over came it finally by making sure the two top holes in the plate aligned with the block holes. I read just about everything possible on the install, and did have a pretty decent recollection of the process but it’s still very frustrating at times. I can honestly understand why folks go electric.
Old 04-06-2023, 09:10 PM   #10
54blackhornet

Quote:
Originally Posted by howzzzit View Post
This is the truth. I actually used peanut butter. Didn't have grease and no way to drive. Fuel pump was out.
Boy that is funny ! Ultimate American Ingenuity !
Old 04-06-2023, 09:17 PM   #11
kwmech

Quote:
Originally Posted by howzzzit View Post
Creamy or chunky?
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 09:57 PM   #12
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54blackhornet View Post
Appreciate the additional suggestions fellas ! For the first timers installing a pump it can be a nightmare. The biggest difficulty most have on a V8 is trying to get the bolts started while simultaneously keeping the pump rod up. I over came it finally by making sure the two top holes in the plate aligned with the block holes. I read just about everything possible on the install, and did have a pretty decent recollection of the process but it’s still very frustrating at times. I can honestly understand why folks go electric.
First time I put a new crate motor in my '71 Jimmy, I installed the fuel pump and then wondered why it wouldn't keep running after the ether shot [Starting Fluid] wore off. While I knew the engine required a fuel pump not included with the Mr Goodwrench crate motor, I didn't know the pushrod wasn't included.
My main experience had been with 292s. My buddy had to tell me there was a pushrod involved. So I got the old one off the blown-up motor, put it in, and it started!

Old 04-06-2023, 10:20 PM   #13
jumpsoffrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine View Post
First time I put a new crate motor in my '71 Jimmy, I installed the fuel pump and then wondered why it wouldn't keep running after the ether shot [Starting Fluid] wore off. While I knew the engine required a fuel pump not included with the Mr Goodwrench crate motor, I didn't know the pushrod wasn't included.
My main experience had been with 292s. My buddy had to tell me there was a pushrod involved. So I got the old one off the blown-up motor, put it in, and it started!
LOL I also didn't know my new-to-me BBC had a rod and when I tried sticking the new pump back in, it obviously was hitting something in the way. And I was like, "how and the heck did something just *appear* in my way in the 3 minutes it took me to get my new pump out of the box?????"

"There's a rod in there?!?!?!?!"

I had no idea.
jumpsoffrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 12:48 AM   #14
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpsoffrock View Post
LOL I also didn't know my new-to-me BBC had a rod and when I tried sticking the new pump back in, it obviously was hitting something in the way. And I was like, "how and the heck did something just *appear* in my way in the 3 minutes it took me to get my new pump out of the box?????"

"There's a rod in there?!?!?!?!"

I had no idea.
Can you stop the push rod with a side bolt like on the SBC?

Old 04-07-2023, 11:20 PM   #15
jumpsoffrock

I don't know. I did the hacksaw blade trick, it was awkward but worked.
Old 04-12-2023, 07:12 PM   #16
425HP409
425hp409

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72SB View Post
A hack saw blade with a bend on the end works great to hold the rod up while slipping the pump arm under the rod.
64 Bel Air Wagon, 400 Small Block
57 Bel Air all original 283 w/Factory Air
77 GMC Sprint, 454/425HP
67 Olds 442, all original
90 ZR1 Corvette
425HP409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 08:07 PM   #17
pjmoreland

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54blackhornet View Post
I have determined that there is no source for an American manufactured pump.
Edelbrock mechanical fuel pumps are made in the USA.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/e...make/chevrolet
Attached Images

pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 09:06 PM   #18
jumpsoffrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmoreland View Post
Edelbrock mechanical fuel pumps are made in the USA.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/e...make/chevrolet
I know this isn't the point of your post, but to whom it may concern:

Just go buy a pump at Autozone/Oriellys for $40-50, they're lifetime warranty, and they have several locations in every mid sized city in the U.S., they're open 14 hours per day, and will replace it(if in stock) on the fly no questions asked.

If you got stuck on a road trip with that broken edlebrock, I'd love to see them solve that situation.....
Old 04-13-2023, 02:06 PM   #19
howzzzit

Put in an Oreillys pump. Had about 10 miles on it. Went into the garage and smelled gas. It was leaking around the rim. Nice. Second one. Bought elsewhere. Doesn't matter who you buy from if it fails. No fun to install.
Old 04-13-2023, 02:22 PM   #20
MARKDTN

Quote:
....If you got stuck on a road trip with that broken edlebrock, I'd love to see them solve that situation.....
You go to Autozone or Orielleys (or Advance or NAPA or CarQuest...) conveniently located in most US cities (many open 14 hours a day or so) and for $40-50 you get a new pump and get home. Or you ViceGrip Garage it and buy an electric clicky-clacky pump and straight wire it to the battery bypassing the mechanical pump. Or a marine tank with a bulb that your passenger keeps pumping all the way home.

Seriously, I think you get a rebuild kit for it and build it in the parking lot.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project

Last edited by MARKDTN; 04-13-2023 at 02:28 PM.
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 02:25 PM   #21
custom1970

Completely agree with the problem of getting a good pump, recently replaced my fuel tank, had carb completely restored so i replaced my old working pump. The new NAPA pump didn't last 3 rides..., cleaned out my old one and it's still going strong! And the grease trick has always worked well for me...
1965 Chris Craft 17' wood ski boat (SN #0001)
custom1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 05:01 PM   #22
697498chevy

I've changed a few fuel pumps , 396 , 350 , 307 . Grease has always worked for me . Have had trouble getting a good pump . Thanks !
697498chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 08:02 PM   #23
jaros44sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by custom1970 View Post
Completely agree with the problem of getting a good pump, recently replaced my fuel tank, had carb completely restored so i replaced my old working pump. The new NAPA pump didn't last 3 rides..., cleaned out my old one and it's still going strong! And the grease trick has always worked well for me...
didn't they. Used sell rebuild kits

I'd like to see some pics of that boat

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 08:12 PM   #24
3757chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72SB View Post
Quote:
I don't know. I did the hacksaw blade trick, it was awkward but worked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 425HP409 View Post
A hack saw blade with a bend on the end works great to hold the rod up while slipping the pump arm under the rod.
I've always had good luck with hacksaw blade. Thank goodness I've not had to change one roadside.
MIKE
3757chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 10:57 PM   #25
howzzzit

Roadside?! That's why they sell AAA road service!