The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-05-2009, 08:10 AM   #126
haysonj

Re: Freshly rebuilt 350 burning oil and tappet noise.

I've built a few chevy engines and have never seen one with that much thread above the rocker stud nut. with the high lift cam he has it probably had valve spring bind but I wouldn't think it would have made it all the way accross the country unless someone readjusted the valves.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:12 AM   #127
gavotter333

Quote:
Originally Posted by haysonj View Post
I've built a few chevy engines and have never seen one with that much thread above the rocker stud nut. with the high lift cam he has it probably had valve spring bind but I wouldn't think it would have made it all the way accross the country unless someone readjusted the valves.

I think in retrospect its a miracle it made it here too. It is well and truly in NY at the moment and tomorrow its going on a flatbed to SF. Nowhere near Bakersfield. The engine in it is going in the trash and Ill be starting totally a fresh. I think out of respect for my poor truck she needs a really big break and really good engine to say sorry.. LOL
gavotter333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 01:25 PM   #128
gavotter333

Well its been a while and in case anyone was wondering ...

I will now say avoid Reynolds automotive in bakersfield like the plague. After many months of hard work I finally got the engine rebuilt by the shop that did the work. Far be it that the BAR association had to get involved and oversea the whole process. Its running although it burns oil still and leaks it as well. However while it was in the shop it was broken into and my stereo gear was stolen. Its an ongoing battel and will end up in court. So to help others not have the same problems dont do to that shop for anything.

The guy is not what I thought he was at all. I have learnt the hard way and hope others dont make the same mistake.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:09 PM   #129
ll____b0t____ll

Sorry to hear this story end this way.
It a sad day when its so hard to find compitant engine builders or humans with some resemlance of decency or honer.
Im not shocked about your stereo though my mother took her lumina in to have a new timing chain installed and over a week later got her car back and the 3.1 V6 was some how magicaly transformed into a 2.8 V6.
Like no female would notice that....but he got his in the end as he sold the 3.1 and couldnt get it back lawsuit ended and he had to buy a bran new crate moter lol haha.

Last edited by ll____b0t____ll; 07-23-2009 at 02:14 PM.
ll____b0t____ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 02:31 PM   #130
gavotter333

Quote:
Originally Posted by ll____b0t____ll View Post
Sorry to hear this story end this way.
It a sad day when its so hard to find compitant engine builders or humans with some resemlance of decency or honer.
Im not shocked about your stereo though my mother took her lumina in to have a new timing chain installed and over a week later got her car back and the 3.1 V6 was some how magicaly transformed into a 2.8 V6.
Like no female would notice that....but he got his in the end as he sold the 3.1 and couldnt get it back lawsuit ended and he had to buy a bran new crate moter lol haha.
Man that is amazing. Truly makes you wonder what its all coming to. I very much doubt that the 2K heads that I paid for on my original engine were put back on the new engine that I have now. It runs but I have to say that it does sound different. I will not know unless its taken apart but I think I will just throw away the junk he built. I actually just got off the phone with the Bakersfield police and he did not even file the claim when it was broken into. For the last 2 months he has been saying he is in contact with his insurance company. I have now however through being polite had my report filed and a wonderful policeman is on his way out to visit our engine re builder to verify this. Let the games commence.... I am back in Australia now and am just waiting to ship the beast here. However I would like it to be complete before I do..

That is crap on the engine theft man... Wow
Old 07-23-2009, 05:49 PM   #131
Skirkpat

That is a bummer. Sorry to hear it did not turn out right.

oh, and a 2001 HD 2500, 8.1 Allison Shortbed 4 Door
Skirkpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:44 AM   #132
bradford

Wow.
What a dirtbag.
Any updates?
bradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:39 AM   #133
DeputyDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavotter333 View Post
It doesn't smoke at all this is the weird thing. Only time that it does is if you are already moving and floor it. You get crap out of the exhaust. whether this is unburnt fuel or oil I can not say. However if you flog any engine this way it will produce something. As for the valves and heads. The valves are all stainless. and the heads are ported polished and every single component of the block is brand new. The mechanic that I took it to even commented on how amazing it went after we adjusted the timing and the only real comment he made was that the carb is not really big enough for this kind of performance motor. I agree that its something to do with either lifters or tappets. and that the oil must be going as the rings have not seated properly, however there is no burnt oil smell or oil smoke at all. Until this banging started and missfiring for the 100 miles that it did go it was really really amazing and sounded like what I paid for. I am not a mechanic and I have spent more than i would like to mention on this beast in the last few months so I am not in a position to ship it back. The builder has been really great however is it time to call it quits.

Is this a sure fire that its toast.

Problem is that I am in New York and the builder is in Bakersfield. So its not like I can just pop in for him to have a look.
Carbs not big enough? For a 350 a 700cfm is getting on the bigger side of what you need.
DeputyDan is offline   Reply With Quote