The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-09-2016, 01:55 AM   #26
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: Help with Hydroboost setup

Gotcha..they made no mention of that but it makes sense.
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 03:04 AM   #27
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
Gotcha..they made no mention of that but it makes sense.
Some of the guys using HB without a steering pump are running hydraulic ram steering, so they have an entirely separate closed hydraulic system. The HB unit itself doesn't have a way of circulating fluid, it uses one system of circulated fluid to create pressure on another.

Just hooking an HB unit up to a fluid reservoir for example, wouldn't actually do anything.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 03:58 AM   #28
ls1nova71

Not saying it's right, or I would ever do it, but I have seen it done. This was an old farm truck 1 ton flatbed that the old farmer must have wanted better brakes on. It was a 74 if I remember correctly and it never had power steering. Looks like it was on there for a long time. But, it WAS in a junk yard, so there's that.
Attached Images

5.3 swap into my RUSTY '71 C10
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...71-c-10-a.html
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:12 AM   #29
Aruba1

Ok, so power steering it is then. I guess it will be best if I get the steering box setup of an older truck that mounts on the outside of the frame and hook it up to my hydro boost setup that I already got or make it easier and get a complete older system setup (pump, booster, box) and put a serpentine pulley on it and make my own brackets.
Aruba1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:29 AM   #30
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Br3w I may have worded it wrong but I meant they were using a power steering pump and hydro brakes and a cooler but without the steering box.most of what i was looking at either had non power rack and pinion or like you said a complete seperate hydralic system for ram steering..just like(similiar) to the pic ls1 put up. And a lot of people put power steering pumps on old tractors to run hydralic cylinders, some people use power steering pumps on trucks just to run snow plow cylinders, I got a buddy that uses a power steering pump just for the dump bed cylinder on his old truck he uses to haul mulch. Its not fast but hes in no hurry. I guess what I dont understand is I've never heard of one blowing up and there's a lot of people doing it.. like ls1 said though..not saying its right.

Last edited by mongocanfly; 03-09-2016 at 10:37 AM.
Old 03-09-2016, 10:43 AM   #31
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Aruba if it helps... my steering box is on the outside of the frame..if you can find a 80s truck..it might work with not a lot of modifying.
Old 03-09-2016, 04:46 PM   #32
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
Br3w I may have worded it wrong but I meant they were using a power steering pump and hydro brakes and a cooler but without the steering box.most of what i was looking at either had non power rack and pinion or like you said a complete seperate hydralic system for ram steering..just like(similiar) to the pic ls1 put up. And a lot of people put power steering pumps on old tractors to run hydralic cylinders, some people use power steering pumps on trucks just to run snow plow cylinders, I got a buddy that uses a power steering pump just for the dump bed cylinder on his old truck he uses to haul mulch. Its not fast but hes in no hurry. I guess what I dont understand is I've never heard of one blowing up and there's a lot of people doing it.. like ls1 said though..not saying its right.
Ok, I get what your saying. In that case your ps pump is just acting as a hydraulic pump, simple enough. I thought you actually didn't want to run a PS pump at all. I was staring at that picture yelling that there was a PS PUMP RIGHT THERE...and then I realized that you just meant without the steering gear (or rack, potentially).

As for the blowing up, I don't have any experience with that. I'd think as long as your not drastically over-pressuring the unit, there wouldn't be much to worry about.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 09:34 PM   #33
Aruba1

So what is the consensus. Sorry to ask, lol, but can I run the system and leave out the "steering box/rack"?
Old 03-09-2016, 09:38 PM   #34
cableguy0

Unless you want to see what 1400psi or so does to a tin reservoir I wouldn't. If you do however please post pictures of the damage.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 09:48 PM   #35
Aruba1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Unless you want to see what 1400psi or so does to a tin reservoir I wouldn't. If you do however please post pictures of the damage.
LOL, sarcasm wasn't needed but I got the message. So I will be hunting for a inner steering box hydroboost system. If you know anyone selling one, please let me know. Mongo, since you are in AL please let me know if you come across one. Thanks everyone!
Old 03-09-2016, 10:16 PM   #36
cableguy0

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/c...le.com+URL+%2F
Also any local auto parts store will have a box in stock. Just make sure you get one for a 79 or newer so it has metric fittings to match your hydroboost unit. I would skip getting a used and likely worn out steering box.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 10:03 AM   #37
Aruba1

Thanks Cableguy, I am tired of redoing stuff on my truck so I may go with a new p/s gear. Now that I know I need p/s, what else do I need? Is there a difference between pitman arm or anything else when changing from non-power steering to power steering?