The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-19-2010, 02:25 PM   #26
spike38

Re: 67 Shortwide Resto

Making some great progress!!
Keep it up.

Spike
spike38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 02:28 PM   #27
JRBECK64

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike38 View Post
Making some great progress!!
Keep it up.

Spike
Thanks Spike.

JRBECK64
JRBECK64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 05:54 PM   #28
VA72C10
VA72C10

keep up the progress!!!

looking good!
Old 10-20-2010, 12:34 PM   #29
JRBECK64

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
keep up the progress!!!

looking good!
Im trying, Right now I have a lot of people wanting me to get to work on my 67 GTO Conv. I have been working on both and its definitly slowing the forward momentum on the 67 ShortWide. Now I need to get my Sons 64 in the air and get the 700R4 installed so there is another one. I hope to only have my Sons 64 down for a few days. The driveshaft is the veriable on how long it will take us. The 64 has a Slipshaft Driveshaft in it, so I need to find a yoke for the front of the driveshaft that will fit the 700R4. Too many things happening all at once, so I guess I need to make a list and figure out the priorities. Anyway thanks for the compliment. It will probably be an all winter project and hopefully will be ready to paint and put together by sping.

JRBECK64
Old 11-11-2010, 09:02 AM   #30
Redneck72

Where you been brother? Working on the Goat or your son's truck. Hope all is going well was just going through withdrawls... I need a fix man.

Paul
Redneck72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 10:24 AM   #31
Redneck72

Yoo hoo oh Mr. Beck....
Old 12-29-2010, 03:19 AM   #32
67chevy1series

hey jrbeck we need progress!!!!
67chevy1series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 01:39 AM   #33
67chevy1series

you there!!!!
Old 01-02-2011, 09:59 AM   #34
JRBECK64

Hello,
Been traveling a Lot, Working on the GTO (Worked myself out of Money in the GTO Fund) and now am back to working on the 67 Shortwide Pickup. Ive made a little (Actually a Lot) progress on the chevy and will post some pictures. I will have this truck painted by early summer and on the road soon there after. It seems that while I have been gone somehow all my pictures have been deleted on the thread. I guess I need to talk to the technical guys about that. I think it may have to do with putting the pictures in folders in photo bucket. Oh well I will figure it out one way or the other. Im back and will try to keep the pictures coming.

JRBECK64

Oh Yeah Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to Everyone.

JRBECK64

Last edited by JRBECK64; 01-02-2011 at 10:11 AM.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:53 PM   #35
67chevy1series

yea progress !!!!! looks good like always look forward to more progress
Old 01-03-2011, 02:53 AM   #36
JRBECK64

Thanks for the Enthusiasm. I am going to go out Tomorrow and knock down the skim coat I did on the back of the cab. I need to get a little better at Skim coating rather than Icing a Cake. Nothing that some good old 60 Grit wont tear down in a hurry. Then finish it off with some 80 Grit. This cab is in pretty good shape and the bodywork shouldnt take to long. The bed on this thing is really strait and wont take much to straiten out. The Tail gate isnt in to bad of shape but where it is dented is going to take some real beating with my hand mallet to get it strait. I will try to get some more pictures posted tomorrow.

JRBECK64
Old 01-03-2011, 03:22 AM   #37
67chevy1series

sounds really good! ya my dad was when he seen all the bondo but you have no choice but to bondo because it is double wall metal but yes 36 grit and ,me became friends with the surface rust on my floors
Old 01-04-2011, 09:49 AM   #38
Redneck72

Woot he is back...yay. Good to see ya going on the truck again. Yes moving your pics around in photobucket will cause them to delete here because you changed the link by moving them. Do you have a link to where you were working on the GTO or did you put any pics of that up on another forum. Glad to see ya back smooth out the frosting... I could only imagine how bad i would have done. Keep it up.

Paul
Old 01-04-2011, 09:55 PM   #39
JRBECK64

Here are a few pictures of the 67 GTO Converitble. We put the New tail lite panel in to replace the old rusted out one. We also put in a patch panel for the piece that goes in front of the dash and the window sets in. I cant remember what the patch panel is call but I think it is the Window to cowl panel. Looks like I am pretty much done with the GTO till probably June when I hope to have the 67 Shortwide Pickup done. We made a little progress on the truck today and should be able to knock down the skim coat that I put on the other day probably Tomorrow. We took a little time today to Clean up the shop a little as it was turning into a pig pen. I will probably post a few more pictures tonight of the progress on the truck. I am going to do some major surgury to the Tail Gate. I am going to cut holes in the back of the tail gate so I can gain acsess to the front so I can beat some of the dents out of it. Well thats all for now.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:59 PM   #40
67chevy1series

wow the goat looks great!!!!! what have you done to the truck?
Old 01-05-2011, 01:10 AM   #41
Stubbs67

when you skim, mix 2 parts bondo with 1 part polyester fiberglass resin(regular bondo brand fiberglass resin), then add hardener as usual. it will thin it up some and make it more workable, if you go 1:1, it will self level to a point. Play with the mix till you find what you like. I like 2:1. I am not an experienced body guy but I learned that from a friend that does epic body work. Too bad he moved away...
My Build Thread!
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=433751

Need step tail gate and bed front, driver door, both front fenders (both are bondo'd nightmares). can trade fleetside bed parts real straight (except sides) or pay some cash (i am pretty broke)
Stubbs67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 02:46 AM   #42
JRBECK64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbs67 View Post
when you skim, mix 2 parts bondo with 1 part polyester fiberglass resin(regular bondo brand fiberglass resin), then add hardener as usual. it will thin it up some and make it more workable, if you go 1:1, it will self level to a point. Play with the mix till you find what you like. I like 2:1. I am not an experienced body guy but I learned that from a friend that does epic body work. Too bad he moved away...
Stubbs67,
Now thats some helpfull Advise. Thanks for the tip. I will give it a try because I want to skim the bed just to make it really flat. I am going to paint it a Dark Blue color and a Silver much like my I painted my Oldest Sons 69 Long Fleet except his is Black and Silver.

JRBECK64
Old 01-05-2011, 03:02 AM   #43
JRBECK64

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67chevy1series View Post
wow the goat looks great!!!!! what have you done to the truck?
Thanks about the Goat and here are a few pictures of todays progress.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:50 AM   #44
Stubbs67

holy moly batman, that is a CLEAN driver door Needed a little love but worth it, my driver door is split where it hit the fender. I can't find one at the junkyards that havent been destroyed by the fender. Lame....

My Build Thread!

Need step tail gate and bed front, driver door, both front fenders (both are bondo'd nightmares). can trade fleetside bed parts real straight (except sides) or pay some cash (i am pretty broke)

Last edited by Stubbs67; 01-05-2011 at 12:09 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:10 PM   #45
JRBECK64

Quote:
holy moly batman, that is a CLEAN driver door Needed a little love but worth it, my driver door is split where it hit the fender. I can't find one at the junkyards that havent been destroyed by the fender. Lame....
Stubbs67,
Believe it or not that is the bad door of the two. The other is darn near perfect. I am thinking these doors are so good that I might just scuff them with 80 and high build them. The front fenders are also that nice. The problem area on this truck is the hood. It has a lot of pitted surface rust on it. Not bad pits just small pin holes in the paint where rust is showing through. My neighbor did a hood on a 51 chevy pu that was similar and what he did was sand it down with 80 and paint it with POR15 then he scuffed that and shot his high build over that. Structurally the hood is fine so im probably going to do the same as my neighbor did. Have you thought about going with an aftermarket door? Ive heard they dont fit very good because the upper part of the door doesnt pull in like it should when properly hung. Also something about the opening where the Felts go is to wide? I guess I have been pretty lucky with the doors I have had on my resto's. Even the doors I have for My 56 Short Step are in really good condition. Im about to go to work on my Tailgate for this 67 and I am not looking forward to it. It needs a lot of hammering to get it where it needs to be. Maybe Im getting old but the last time I hammered one of these tailgates into submission my hands hurt for a week and im not looking forward to that. OK enough of the wineing.

JRBECK64
Old 01-05-2011, 12:12 PM   #46
JRBECK64

Quote:

Stubbs67,
Have you thought about reskinning the door? That might be the easier solution to your problem.

JRBECK64
Old 01-05-2011, 12:26 PM   #47
Stubbs67

i thought about it, but my sheet metal welding skills are limited, I am thinking that since i have seen 4 driver doors local to me in the junk yards that look about like mine, then I am gonna just cut that section out and replace it with another piece. If I screw it up, then for 30 bucks I am right back where I started... with the fender dent I found 1 decent one but the bottom corner (where yours is repaired) is bent outward at a 45 degree angle. Thought about cutting that off and using the corner from mine... Now all I need is some more money
My Build Thread!

Old 01-05-2011, 12:39 PM   #48
JRBECK64

Stubbs67,
If you do choose to replace just the peice, be sure to have a cold rag near so you can cool the metal and take your time welding. Do a little then cool it off quick because if you dont you will warp the heck out of it. What I was saying about replacing the entire skin on the door was so you wouldn't have to weld it. What you do is take the old skin off the door, place the new one on then get yourself a Body Hammer and a mall and knock the new door skin lip that holds it on over the lip of the inside of the door. I will post a picture to show you what I mean. Once you have the door skin in place then you put some Trench putty around the inside of the door where you hammered the door skin on.

The only reason we welded the backside of the door is because the peice that the door skin went on was rusted through (the inside of the door).
Old 01-05-2011, 07:04 PM   #49
67chevy1series

well that is some n ice progress you have goin on the tail gat and hood will come out just fine!
Old 01-07-2011, 02:47 PM   #50
JRBECK64

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67chevy1series View Post
well that is some n ice progress you have goin on the tail gat and hood will come out just fine!
Thanks for the Vote of Confidence. Im going out of town for the weekend to see a friend from 20 years ago and also celebrating my Wifes Birthday. So I probably wont post again till next week. Here is a question for anyone willing to answer. Has anyone used UPOL paint products like their Acrylic Enamel or their Urethane paints (Single Stage)? I have been using PPG and its really expensive in fact the paint and the clear coat alone for this truck is going to cost almost $900 so Im thinking about trying an alternative paint. Thanks for any help or advise with this.

JRBECK64