The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-04-2015, 02:44 PM   #1
-PAPS-

The Big Frame Question

So just picked up a '53 with the aim of building an affordable resto-mod that can easily handle a motorcycle in the bed and towing a flat bed with another vehicle on it. The one weighing question I have is what to do about the frame, should I stick with the factory frame and strengthen it, order a new frame, or use a s10 frame with conversion kit ( http://www.code504.com/1947-1954-1-2...onversion-kit/ ) ?
-PAPS- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 03:15 PM   #2
Indian113

Re: The Big Frame Question

There are a lot of different opinions on your question and they are all right in their thinking. If you use a S10 you will lose some of your bed due to the frame. Also you'll have to run offset rims or spacers from what some people report. I used a Nova sub on my 53 and a Chassis Engineering leaf spring kit on rear. I would use a Mustang IFS kit now and still use the rear end kit.
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 03:18 PM   #3
Speedbumpauto

Been discussed ad nauseam on this site, so it's all opinion. Mine: Frame is plenty strong with minor boxing for changes and everything fits. Spend your money on brakes, steering, suspension and drivetrain to meet your goals. All of those things are made aftermarket to bolt or weld to the frame you have.
Speedbumpauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 03:21 PM   #4
OrrieG

Look at this page, it gives the rear spring capacity (2900# total). Subtract the weight of the truck (1/2 distributed to the back) which is on the same page, or maybe another, then add back in passenger, fuel, motorcycle and accessories weight. Subtract from total and remainder will be the tongue weight you can tow using the stock springs and frame which was designed to match the spring capacity. Next question will be engine and drivetrain upgrades to pull the total weight of truck, cargo and trailer.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 11:47 AM   #5
joedoh

what do you want to spend? purism says keep the stock frame but you will easily spend 3-4 times the cost of an s10 swap to add ifs, disc brakes, open driveline and highway rear gears to the stock frame. lowering the s10 is pennies compared to a drop axle. a long bed s10 frame has a decent tow capacity, limited by its engine (4.3 v6) and not its strength, and brake upgrades are available inexpensively.

an s10 swap will be more fabrication and less bolt on. even a mustang II IFS can be had bolt on currently. the track width is narrower than the stock setup and the rear frame kickup is higher. There is an accurate s10 swap thread on the main 47-59 page.

the really smart guys on this forum always ask, what do you intend to do with it? I think you have given that info. I will say that towing a car trailer with either option is what really kicks up the money involved, everything else (daily driver, motorcycle hauling) is pretty standard fare for either.

good luck!

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 12:40 PM   #6
mr48chev

There are positives and negatives to each setup.

I'm one of those who is pretty vocal about keeping the stock 3100 shortbed frame and building off it "IF" you have a really nice frame to start with.

You could keep the stock I beam and change to disk brakes if you liked and swap rears for an open drive rear axle. That is about as simple as it gets but the steering can still give you a workout if it isn't set up perfectly.

Steve at Industrial Chassis in Phoenix is building a seriously strong independent front crossmember that uses Dodge Dakota two wheel drive front suspension pieces and steering. Under 600 for the crossmember from what I have seen and he builds them one at a time. Real midsize truck pieces and you don't have to cut up the inner sheet metal to do the swap out side of maybe a minor trim for clearance. There are some bolt on MII units that you can swap out the whole front suspension in a Saturday fairly easily if you wanted to go that way and the sky is the limit with other kits that can run up to 4 k or so with all the bells and whistles.

The "kits" to do the S-10 swap run about 1500 and up if you used one of the aftermarket kits to do the swap. with the cost of the chassis and rebuilding the front suspension and adding wheel spacers you end up with 2000 to 2500 in the chassis that way. In some states you may run into issues after doing that swap. Is it an AD pickup or is it an S-10 with an AD body? If you bought the rolling chassis out of some guy's back yard off Craigslist are you getting a chassis that you legally own or you buying the chassis from a stolen vehicle or one that the bank still has money loaned out on? The other thing is what does your insurance company say about a truck that has a frame under it that did not come from that model of truck?

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 02:05 PM   #7
Rude Dude

Hey buddy if you go Mustang II call me we can weld it in just got to load it up and take a road trip to Arizona. I still live at the same place call me.

Rudy
Rude Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 02:50 PM   #8
mikec4193

Hi Paps

I have an S10 truck that I use as a driver....it is a 4 cylinder with a 5 speed, I can tow my old Dodge Neon race car on a car trailer. I only drive it maybe 3 miles each way. I replaced the rear leaf springs and shocks too. I put a brake controller on it too....in stock form they do ok...but it isn't something I could take on a long road trip (with that load at least)...
If it had a V6 it might be a little less struggle to get up to speed...
I also have a 1952/53 Chevy truck with a stock frame on it...that old Chevy truck's rear frame rails are twice as heavy as the S10 is. I have not driven it on the road yet but I bet it wont ride like the S10 does...so it is kinda a toss up...S10's ride great...stock styled 1950's Chevy trucks can tow a house but wont ride well at all as well as the S10 does...
You wanna tough truck...keep the stock frame....you want a nice ride...do the S10 thing...
Good luck with your project.

My smelly old 2 cents

MikeC
mikec4193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 03:51 PM   #9
-PAPS-

Thanks for all the advice guys. Reading on here and elsewhere around the web it seems the biggest problems are the engine and brakes. Already had plans for discs and a new v8 so unless something comes up looks like I'll stick with the factory frame. Plus, it will be nice to keep as much original parts as I can.
Old 01-07-2015, 10:15 PM   #10
1-ton of fun
polishing a turd

Sounds like a good plan!

53 buick special - straight 8 sled - blow through turbo
47 gmc - flatbed hot rod build
99 ford econoline e350 - 4x4 converted family roadtrip/overlanding rig AKA 'Monstervan' AKA 'Daddy-Van'
1-ton of fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 11:37 PM   #11
-PAPS-

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-ton of fun View Post
Sounds like a good plan!
Thanks. Tough part is out here is pretty much the middle of nowhere and everyone seems to only have used Ford parts.ha