The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-02-2021, 07:08 PM   #1
69Tom

shooting single stage - question

So I shot some UPOL high build primer this AM on my fenders and hood. As it's multi-purpose (high build, primer surfacer, and sealer) I used their 4:1:1 ratio to go for the primer surfacer. As I'm in Phoenix and I don't have a paint booth (great time of year to start painting, I know), I used ultra slow urethane reducer. While it isn't horrible, I was definitely getting some dry spray on it (I was using proper technique; was no more than 6-8" from the panel; kept trying to adjust the PSI at the gun). As it can easily be sanded and I did get some good coats down, I'm not super worried about it.

However, I am slightly concerned about shooting the paint (dry spray and orange peel). I'm using single-stage urethane from TPC global. I have slow reducer from them, but I'm definitely going to use the ultra slow urethan reducer I bought. They told me I should also use a 4:1:1 ratio. I'm definitely going to test it out on a junk hood I have before shooting it on the hours and hours I spend on my prepped panels, to work on PSI to use at the gun (24 psi with 1.4 tip recommended for my gun) and speed of passes.

I also wonder if I should reduce a bit more (not 4:1:2, but maybe 4:1:1.5 or so) as single stage can be a bit thick.

I wish I had normal temperatures or a paint booth, but I don't so I have to work with what I've got and shoot early morning, etc.

Thanks for any pointers from those experienced painters out there.
69Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 07:31 AM   #2
JJH Jimmy

Re: shooting single stage - question

I am by no means an expert but i will give you my 2 cents. The 2k primer is designed to kick fast so you can get on it to sand and the single stage is going to stay wet longer. With that being said i think that you spraying the test hood in the conditions that you will be painting to determine how much time you have and how slick you can get it is the right thing to do. It will be easier to spray multiple panels a time rather than an overall and if it is kicking too fast i would try some urethane retarder.

Also, i would not over reduce the paint to get it to lay slick it is going to hurt your coverage. Try adjusting your gun instead with more fluid and more air.
2021 GMC 2500HD Duramax AT4

My "It's a Jimmy Thing" Build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=583528
Budget Build 1985 K20
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=801565
JJH Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 08:42 AM   #3
bsarts

High build vs. paint, you're looking at two different animals. The paint you will be spraying is designed to flow together after you lay it on, you'll have to find something to practice on and find the best combination of paint volume, gun speed, and air pressure all over again.
bsarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 11:49 AM   #4
69Tom

Great, thanks guys. I'll let you know how it goes.
69Tom is offline   Reply With Quote