The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-08-2021, 08:55 AM   #1
joecarquest

rust repair

Could somebody show me the best threads for this kind of rust damage. I've tried it in the past with terrible results. Want to try it again need lots of help
Attached Images

joecarquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 03:14 PM   #2
theastronaut

Re: rust repair

A spot blaster would work great on the top of the door, and it would work on the cab to see how bad the pillar is. The one from harbor freight should hold up long enough for hobby use. I use Black Diamond coal slag media from Tractor Supply, the finer grit version. Epoxy primer over clean blasted metal will prevent rust from coming back better than other types of primer. I use SPI epoxy, it sands well, has excellent adhesion and corrosion resistance, can be painted over, and can be brushed on for small touch up areas if you don't have spray equipment.

I replaced the roof skin and drip rails on my current project, you can see the posts about the roof starting on page 7. This was worst case scenario, yours doesn't look as bad but this will show how to fix it if it's worse than it looks from your pic.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=784498&page=7

Spot blaster:

https://www.harborfreight.com/21-oz-...CABEgI9K_D_BwE

Coal slag:

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...ting-abrasives

Epoxy primer:

https://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/epoxy-primer
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 11:09 AM   #3
Caddylackn

When fixing rust holes like this, the damage is always bigger than you can see. Plan on welding in small patch panels rather than trying to fill in pin holes. The small pin holes will become big holes when you start burning off the thin rusted metal you can't see.

Most of these areas can be covered with seal sealer so perfect butt welds of the patch panels is not necessary. Definitely treat the rust inside so it don't come back.

Be sure to cover your windows with a welding blanket or plywood when you are welding the top of the cab and drip rail.

I didn't and it ruined my glass from the hot bits of slag that falls down and hits the glass. The molten slag small bits will burn and pit the glass.

My windshield was already bad, but it ruined my side and vent windows which were factory tinted and had to be replaced.
Old 09-09-2021, 06:12 PM   #4
joecarquest

How do you treat rust inside. My past body work rusted from the inside out

Last edited by joecarquest; 09-09-2021 at 07:43 PM.
Old 09-09-2021, 07:37 PM   #5
joecarquest

What's the best way to treat rust inside. All the body work I've done rusts from the inside out
Old 09-13-2021, 03:48 PM   #6
theastronaut

You have to separate the outer panel from the inner panel to treat inside out rust.
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 06:49 PM   #7
Caddylackn

When you cut your rust sections out to repair, this gives you a small window to spray rust treatment in. They make tools/products that allow you to treat between panels.

https://www.amazon.com/KBS-Coatings-...84244139&psc=1

This will not get it all, but it is better than nothing. I used the Harbor Freight spray can rust converter and used one of those red straws to extend the reach as far as I could. They also make spray wax products that seal these areas and prevent the metal from getting any air, thus stopping the rust process.

Most of the times your roof skin is rusting is because there is a leak somewhere else in the cab. Moisture inside the cab and on the floor gets in the air when the cab heats up in the sun. Then the moisture condenses on the backside of the roof skin at night, since the top of the cab is colder at night (faces the sky). Moisture in the air always condenses on the coldest surface first. Once you have fixed the reason for water getting in the cab, the rust problem on the roof skin usually is halted, same as for the floors.
Old 09-13-2021, 08:33 PM   #8
joecarquest

Ordered the KBS Coatings. Going to harbor freight for the spot blaster. Then tractor supply. Ordering SPI epoxy primer. Got a compressor and mig welder. Once I get it altogether going to try the job. Will take pictures of the work and post them.