The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-09-2021, 02:55 PM   #1
kglowacky

steering column rebuild

Tore down my 1982 Suburban steering column to replace a missing spring for the cancelling cam. Got that done no problems so I decided why not complete the rebuild by taking all the wobble out of the steering column by tighting up the 4 bolts that is the common problem. Got it all apart after watching some videos but ran into a question I need help on. The top part of the steering shaft in the top of the column movers about 1/2 inch in and out. The bottom of the shaft connected to the intermediate shaft does move when the top does. Not sure how this is possible. I thought it was all one shaft. Is there some sort of slider mech. in the shaft to make this possible. Is this normal and will go away when it is completely re assembled or if I missing a retainer or something. It moves enough that the swivel ball will dislodge slightly to cause some wiggling. Anyone know if I need to check something or look for something before I reassemble. Thanks

Last edited by kglowacky; 10-09-2021 at 04:16 PM.
kglowacky is offline   Reply With Quote